Software Update???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timstack8969, Aug 19, 2007.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    Aren't we about due for a Software Update" for series 2 TIVO's???

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Maybe, but they are working on TiVoHD issues right now.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I would not look for an update at this time. A lot of work has gone into launching Tivo HD. At best there would be an update to coincide with a common software release on S3 models and hopefully a fully working TTG/MRV by theend of the year

4. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    What do you think should be updated?

5. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    If there would be one, it will likely be later this Fall. I think the whole engineering team is focused on TiVOHD, and then integrating it back into the 8.3 code base. There are features that the TiVoHD doesn't have because of the code branch break they had to do to send the box to manufacturing...and now they're working on some performance issues for specific cable card situations, etc.

The focus right now is certainly going to be the Series 3 platform, just to get it finally to some level of the MRV/TiVo2Go functionality enjoyed already on the Series 2. Being able to send SD shows to/from Series 2 and 3's would be a great add.

As for series 2 platform and also Series 3/TivoHD....

One of the big things that should come in the form of an update is the Rhapsody service integration...that thing has been suffering from fits and starts for the past 3 years...but this past year at CES they announced it again. I for one would love to see this added.

With Rhapsody getting their service working on so many different players, including the Logitech/Slimdevices squeezebox, it's making it more compelling to pay their subscriptions with their "to-go" service. If all they're working on is streaming "Rhapsody" then it should be relatively easy. If they they working on adding the ability to also "store" Rhapsody content on the TiVo boxes that is probably why it's been taking so long. Implementing a device for Rhapsody's DNA (DRM) isn't that easy from what I've reading....that said, all I want first is true Rhapsody streaming of my library....local storage would be cool, but the first is needed anyway....

Like it noted by another post, what are you looking for to be added, specifically?

Granted, there is a laundry list of core DVR functionality people have been wanting and suggesting, and I for one would like to see a major release for both Series 2 and 3's focusing on core, incremental improvements to the DVR platform......retain, grow, gain (retain TiVo customers, grow the business - more customers, gain on the existing revenue base by offering more value-add services to existing Tivo Customers)...all three require that TiVo maintains and improves the core platform.

6. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I don't think they have any "due for a software update" schedules every xx months or so.

7. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    They can't all be working on the new TIVOHD.

It has already been announced on my Tivo based DirecTV HR10-250 that Tivo will provide a software update sometime next January that will allow remote scheduling of programs among other things.

Like all Tivo software promise announcements, I will believe it when I see it, but it has been announced.

Also, a new version of software (6.3e) was released for the HR10-250 this month.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Actually my 2 Series 2 units are working just fine. I think it would make more sense for TiVo to focus on getting the problems with the Series 3 and TiVo HD units corrected.

Thanks,