Software update timeline?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Adam C., Jul 25, 2017.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I'm a cord cutter and a new user of the Roamio OTA. So far I love the Tivo interface. I came from Verizon Fios where the DVR service and guide was often very slow and clunky. I'm curious about Tivo software updates. How often are software updates released? On Verizon it was about every 3-6 months. I had read somewhere that there was some major software update/overhaul coming to Tivo this fall (it was originally supposed to be released last year, but got delayed). Is there any truth to this or any idea on what the new features will be?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Software updates drop a few times a year. Most of the time they're not major. Just bug fixes with the occasional new feature sprinkled in now and then.

The major update coming is a large UI overhaul. It's supposed to be optional. There's a short demonstration video, and in addition to the redesign it should also support a new voice remote:

4. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I am just hoping it will fix the very annoying choppy 2x FF speed! I am getting tired of having to go from 3x FF backwards to 2x FF to move thru my recordings. I am actually surprised we are still dealing with this.

How long has it been since this TiVo "Bug" bit us?

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Have you called to complain?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    I've gotten it too. I was caught off guard by the bland white highlight. I've gotten so use to the yellow that I thought something was borked.

PCurry57 and The Merg like this.
  8. Aug 3, 2017 #8 of 15
    sheshechic

sheshechic Member

Apr 14, 2012
    20.7.2 is horrid, visually, practically and otherwise too. My Roamio HD received it but my Plus hasn't. Since the update the HD is slower and there are stuttering issues with streaming from the Plus. The HD is in the den with hubby so I'm not constantly exposed to it. I don't know why the Plus didn't receive it and I really don't want it. :(

wbrightfl and PCurry57 like this.
  9. Aug 4, 2017 #9 of 15
    tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    It's the Bolt UI. We're all getting it now.

Speed should pick up once any indexing and such is done. My Roamio Pro feels plenty fast, no different than before.

10. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I actually enjoy the updated interface on my Roamio. I prefer the simple cleanliness and the menus are much more streamlined now. I hope they continue to improve and push this out the Minis and Premiere line for consistency. It seems more responsive and crisp if that makes sense.

11. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Still waiting for my update...

Did the update fix the FF choppiness at 2x? I absolutely hate having to FF at 3x and then back off to 2x to get the speed that IO have been used to for years!

12. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    I hope soon, would like the same interface on all my devices dinner rather than later.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

13. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    I got my update yesterday. I had had a thunderstorm roll through and the house took a power hit. When I turned the Tivo on, the new interface jolted me into thinking something had gone wrong with the power glitch. There was no notice that a software upgrade occurred. I recognize this as the same interface on my sister's Bolt. Just something new to get used to. I hope it didn't introduce new bugs.

14. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i can't speak to roamio's, but 2x ffwd is the best it's ever been on my pxl since the update (fingers crossed for you).

15. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Got my update last night...Yippee! The FF 2x is once again working!

How long since the last update that screwed everything up? It seems like a long, long time ago.....