Software Update removes Mini Tuner view

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Yuterald, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Sep 8, 2019 #1 of 12
    Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    While I love the new updates with the software (really love the auto-skip) I noticed I'm no longer able to view what one of my Mini's is watching on my Bolt. I see the Mini and it now just says "In Use" and before I was able to scroll to it, select it, and now I'm watching what my Mini is showing in the other room. Now when I scroll to it you can no longer select it to view it. That is a feature I really liked since I didn't have to use another tuner on my Bolt to watch what was showing on a Mini.
    My Bolt is 4 tuner and I have 5 Mini's so it's valuable to be able to watch the same show I have on in my Garage on a Mini and also watch it on my Bolt but using just that one tuner.

2. Sep 8, 2019 #2 of 12
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I found this hit and miss and don’t know if it is related to the update. There are times it won’t show what the mini is viewing but just showed the mini TSN number indicating it was using a tuner

3. Sep 8, 2019 #3 of 12
    Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    I did notice for one of my Mini's it showed what I had it tuned to/watching (like it did before) and I was able to access that tuner/Mini but not the others. Frustrating.

4. ehardman

ehardman Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Kansas
    How do you do that? I have never seen it.

5. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    How do I have what? To see what's on the other tuners (if that's what you're asking) on the Bolt press the "right" button on the remote (up, down, left, right).

ehardman likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have seen a red dot on a Mini used tuner. I have seen the TSN shown for an active Mini tuner. I have seen no information indicated when a Mini is in use, and have shared its tuner. I have seen the tuner missing on the right side when used by a Mini. If I hit the Right arrow, I can not predict what will display.

7. Yuterald

Yuterald Member

Jan 20, 2002
    NashVegas, USA
    You only see the other tuners on your Bolt. Pressing the right directional while viewing a Mini will not show anything.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My fault. Poor wording. I was looking at things from the tuner's point of view.

9. barnabas1969

barnabas1969 Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Wait... so if two people are watching the same channel from two different devices, it will use two tuners?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It depends how they got there. If a Mini owns a tuner, then if the host wants to watch the same channel a different tuner will be used. Same if the host is on a channel, the Mini will need a different tuner to watch that channel. There is some internal software bug that will let a Mini use the host's tuner, but it's hard to duplicate.

11. barnabas1969

barnabas1969 Member

Aug 22, 2013
    On a semi-related topic, I read on Tivo's website that each mini that "joins the network" will use a tuner. It seems to imply that it will use a tuner even if you are using the mini to watch a recording or using Netflix or other streaming services. Does it lock a tuner even when not watching live TV?

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. A tuner is used only while watching live TV. BTW, I checked and saw the Mini's names (Mine and TiVo's) in the box with "In Use" under the box.