Software Update Questions (connection problems)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by miller890, Jan 4, 2006.

1. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I am replacing a hard-drive and I am running into some problems downloading the 7.2.1 software update over dialup. I am curious to know...

Typically, how long should it take to receive the full 7.2.1 software update or what is the size of the download when updating very old software?

Is a Series-2 (140) TiVo smart enough (at version 3.2*) to resume a download where it left off, if I am having dialup disconnect problems?

*One of my 120GB drives is failed and I am attempting to update my original (version 3.2) 60GB TiVo drive before I image the new 250 GB drive. The problem I am having is that Vonage VoIP dialup keeps disconnecting. I have made numerous connects, some as long as one-hour and one that went for two hours before a failed disconnect. Obviously once I make it past the software update I can use the network connection.

I have contacted Vonage and as part of their scripted support procedures they recommended using the TiVo (212) area-code dialup numbers, dial tone detect off, and usage detect off. The Vonage support person also made some adjustments on their end for some minor improvements. I was previously only connecting every 8th attempt, at least now I am connecting but TiVo can not stay connected for the full download.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    The software updates can take many hours and if you do not do a "test connection" the unit will resume where it left off on the download. Based on other posts I have read over past few months the best advice is to keep forcing downloads until you get the "pending restart" message on the system info screen. Forcing a restart at that point actually installs the 7.21 and you should be back in business ready to make that valuable backup in case there are ever more problems.