Software update changed menu colors, and broke closed-captions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JamesBritt, Aug 23, 2017.

1. JamesBritt

JamesBritt Member

Sep 17, 2014

Advertisements

Yesterday the colors on the Tivo menus changed. What used to be yellow is now white, and the tivo logo no longer renders; it's just a white outline. It seems like yellow is just not rendering. TV programs themselves appear fine, no color problems. But I use closed-captions, and now the captions have solid green rectangle behdin them that spans most of the screen, block a swath of the TV image.

Pix of what I'm seeing: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I contracted Tivo support who says I'm on new software and, quote, "I believe that the colors and text has change." "I believe" is not very reassuring, and the CC issue is a real problem. (And I sent them the link to the images; I doubt the start-up screen is correct.)

Has anyone else seen screen changes since updating to version 20.7.2.RC24-USA-6-846 ?

hforman likes this.
  2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes the software updated changed all Premiers and Raomios to have the same menus and colors as the Bolts. Lots of threads about the software update around.

JamesBritt likes this.
  3. JamesBritt

JamesBritt Member

Sep 17, 2014
    I see. I don't care so much about the fugly menu colors, but the broken closed-captions is a real problem.

PCurry57 likes this.
  4. smithrl

smithrl Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I had the same experience with the CC after the update.

Go to the setting menu and reset the options for CC to get rid of the green banner.
    I reset my CC options to "default" and that works fine for me.

5. jrock

jrock Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

Aww man I hate this new look really bad.. It looked awesome before now its Blaaah! I spend a ton of money on this thing and now it looks like crap =( we should have an option to change colors. The Tivo Logo is just a blank now and the folders and stuff all look weird. Very disappointing =(

PCurry57 and TiVo Bob W like this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its the new v20.7.2 update and now the CC settings are under "User Preferences."

Look under System Infomation and can confirm the update, its now under Help.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I'm sure the "non-rendered" Tivo guy is due to Rovi ownership. Cant have a different company's name on your own company's logo!!

8. david.nicksic

david.nicksic New Member

Jan 30, 2016
    I love it my Roamio is much quicker to respond I'm guessing this new version is more efficient. I'm hoping my periodic reboots will have gone away.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Apropos. TiVo fading away. Next update and the TiVo will be a chalk outline.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Umm you know that Rovi changed their company name to TiVo after the purchase right?

Scott

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    This.

HobokenSkier likes this.
  12. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    You know the Bolt has had this interface (including faceless logo) since day one, right? Long before Rovi bought TiVo.

13. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    PCurry57 and astrohip like this.
  14. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    TRue but I'm sure things were happening in the background. So the Bolt got the look they knew all boxes would eventually look like.

15. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    So..Rovi no longer exists? I think Rovi knows it will be around long after Tivo and sees no benefit to pushing the logo.

16. mattyro7878

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    For a company that changed their name, Rovi has a Facebook page with no mention of the word Tivo. LinkedIn and Twitter and "contact us:" are all Rovi addresses. I know they changed thier name but they havent lost their identity one iota. "his mama called him Rovi; I'm gonna call him Rovi".

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do Facebook pages ever really go away? :) When corporations change their names they don't get rid of their former presence immediately (and sometime never).

http:\\www.rovicorp.com takes you to Digital Entertainment Technology | TiVo now.

Scott

18. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    Montgomery,...
    I've seen no issues with my closed captioning. I rely on it because of hearing loss and it's just like it's always been since the update.

19. miketx

miketx Active Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I don't like the new white color....yuck. Too bright.

jth tv, wbrightfl, PCurry57 and 2 others like this.
  20. hforman

hforman Member

Aug 11, 2001
    Westminster,...
    I'm the opposite because the new colors, for some unknown reason, actually hurt ,y eyes. Does anyone remember the startup procedure (the one that lets you run disk tests, etc.) that can (or can't) revert a software update? This is really bad.

PCurry57 likes this.