Software to pair external HD with Bolt Vox?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ukusprof, Sep 17, 2018.

1. ukusprof

ukusprof New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Hi all-

I know most on this forum do NOT recommend using an eSATA drive with TiVo. Read all the threads. Don’t want to re-hash that convo.

I had a previous Bolt paired from Weaknees, and it worked just fine. Now I have a new Bolt Vox, and wanted to use the same drive. Weaknees wants $99 simply to pair it, with me providing both Bolt and drive. That seems exorbitant to me.

Is there any other option available, if some misguided fool still wanted to use an external drive (despite all the excellent advice to the contrary found on this forum)? Is the pairing software available somewhere (with instructions, of course)?

I love Weaknees, but don’t understand that price to pair.

Thanks-

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Pairing a non-approved (by TiVo) external drive to the internal drive is really tricky. You have to format the external drive appropriately and then marry it to the internal drive by rewriting the volume header on the internal drive and "daisy-chain" other header structures on the internal drive to the external drive. One tiny mistake will reformat the internal drive from scratch and ignore the external drive entirely.

MFSTools 3.2 is the only thing that even comes close at this time and I don't know if it can do that for a Roamio or Bolt. Read through the MFSTools 3.2 thread and the 6TB & 8TB Premiere threads in the Upgrade forum, then contact jmbach with any further questions.

P.S. I would find some way to make a byte-for-byte copy of your internal drive as a backup before even considering it.