Software bug?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BOBCAT, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    When watching a program on one tuner, and the other tuner is recording another program then a message pops up and says that "the recorder needs to change the channel at 9PM to record xxx". They you check ok. If you are watching a program and you are behind in the buffer maybe 10 or 15 minutes are so, as soon as the recorder changes channels to record the scheduled program, you loose the buffered program that you are watching. In the HR10, it would allow you to watch the buffer up to the end of the time line before going to the channel that is recording the scheduled program.
    This is very irritating. I hope that TiVo can fix this bug. I hate the fact that I missed the end of my program just because I had put the program on pause to take a phone call, then have the recorder kill off the buffer instead of letting me watch the program to the end of the buffer time line.

--->D* please report this to TiVo and have them fix this bug.<---

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Eh? This has been a TiVo behavior, like, forever. If the show is important to you, press record.

3. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Steve's right. It's not a bug. Change channels and you reset the buffer. That's why you get the warning message. Just hit record to save the buffer.

4. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    On the HR10-250, If I was behind in the buffer and the DVR changed channels to start a recording, I could watch the current buffered program to the end of the buffer. Then it would change over to the current channel that was being recorded.
    The THR-22 does not do this, it just cuts off what you were watching and go to the new channel.

5. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    To make it clear, I'm not changing the channel, the TiVo is to record a scheduled program and the other tuner is in record mode also.

6. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I noticed the same complaint over at the DBStalk forum

7. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2001
    The HR10 is a DirecTV DVR so its software is different than that of a box with Tivo.

8. MJHoltorf

MJHoltorf New Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Rancho...
    I can attest to the old behavior BOBCAT is talking about. I still have the SD DirecTivo, and it will play the remainder of the buffer up to the point the channel was changed in realtime before changing to the program that is being recorded, as long as you don't change the channel yourself. He is saying that it now clears the buffer automatically and zooms you to realtime instead of letting you play out the buffer (> 30 mins) before the recorder changed the channel. Being used to the old behavior, I can see how that would annoy.

9. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Yes, that is very annoying. Hope that D*/TiVo will fix that problem.
    Also if you are watching a program, and you are behind in the buffer, the next program starts on the same channel, then you hit record thinking that it will record what is in the buffer, but TiVo will dump the buffer and then start recording the current program.
    That happens on the HR10-250 also.
    This isn't really a problem, the TiVo thinks that you want to record the current program. You just have to watch the buffered program and not hit record.

10. bocajsn

bocajsn New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    its more annoying than that. it will change the channel on the tuner you are watching even if there is nothing scheduled for the second tuner. the old boxes would ask you about changing the chamnel on the OTHER tuner. definitely an oversight somewhere