Soak: The Simpsons Rev. Lovejoy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sherminator, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Reverend Lovejoy & his wife are drawn in a completely different style to that of the rest of the characters in the show, that they must be in reference to a comic strip.

My question is: Which comic strip and characters are they based on?

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    How so? They look drawn in the same style as the others to me. Which characteristics are not like the others?

3. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    The style looks exactly like all the other Simpson characters to me, but even if it wasn't, that's a very odd conclusion. The only other comic strip Groenig has ever written is Life in Hell, and that was all bunnies.

If anything, perhaps Lovejoy is drawn to look like Harry Shearer, who voices the character.

4. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    It's funny, I've always had the vague sense that Lovejoy was modeled after another style of drawing as well. Maybe those cartoons from church bulletins or religious magazines or something from when I was a kid. However, a quick google search reveals nothing to back this up.

5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Bunnies, plus two little men wearing Charlie Brown shirts and fezzes.

Count me in as someone else who doesn't think Rev. and Mrs. Lovejoy look appreciably different from anyone else on "The Simpsons," and don't look like anyone from any comic strip I can think of (or other animated cartoon, for that matter).

6. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    D'oh!

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't see it myself. I guess his eyes are more vertically elongated than the average Simpsons character, but I don't think he's done in a different style.