SOAK: CD-R/DVD-R Emulator for Windows?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Dan203, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Jul 6, 2004 #1 of 40
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a program called Daemon Tools which can load an ISO image and emulate a CD-ROM/DVD drive. Now I'm wondering if there is a similar program that can emulate a CD/DVD Writer and create an ISO image from a program designed to burn to CD/DVDs?

Dan

2. Jul 6, 2004 #2 of 40
    Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    Nero has an image writer, which can create images. It's a standard feature.

mkisofs also works well, and can be used under other operating systems as well.

3. Jul 6, 2004 #3 of 40
    dansee

dansee Sayonara

Oct 23, 2003
    Dan, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the answers you're looking for might be found here. Take a look, and see if this is what you are trying to do:

Playback from HD

4. Jul 7, 2004 #4 of 40
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not quite. Daemon Tools allows you to mount ISO images and read it as if it were a real CD. What I'm looking for is a driver that emulates a CD/DVD burner and creates an ISO image on the hard drive from programs that want to write CDs/DVDs.

For example... Instead of actually burning a CD from iTunes I could point it at this virtual CD/DVD writer which would take the data it's being fed and create an ISO image on the hard drive. I could then load that image into Daemon Tools and RIP the audio to standard MP3 files, without ever actually having to use a CD. (A similar method might be used for DVDs when TiVoToGo is released)

Dan

5. Jul 7, 2004 #5 of 40
    bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    I think this has come up before, and the answers sometimes leaned towards the bizarre. Almost like it'd be "rude" for the Daemon Tools authors and the like to do something like this. I can't see any technical reason why it can't be done, but it's almost like talking about herpes when you start suggesting someone write something like that.

It'd be darned handy...

Brad

6. Jul 7, 2004 #6 of 40
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I noticed that the Deamon Tools site specifically says they will never support CD-R emulation. I wonder why they're so against it?

Dan

7. Jul 7, 2004 #7 of 40
    bsnelson

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    I think that's what I was saying... :)

I just don't understand, unless they've been browbeaten by the RIAA or someone else, fearing that it could somehow be used to do nefarious things.

Brad

8. Jul 7, 2004 #8 of 40
    WanMan

WanMan New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Georgia
    Well, you could waste the dime/buck and take said files and burn a dick. Then, you could burn an ISO file from that disk.

9. Jul 8, 2004 #9 of 40
    David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I'd skip that step if I were you. Sounds painful.

10. bsnelson

Oct 30, 1999
    Frisco, TX, USA
    Since David already immortalized your words, I'll graciously correct your quote.. :)

Here's a good example of why what Dan wants is a good thing. I have three PCs at home that run Windows. I got a couple of free songs from McDonalds from the Sony Connect music service. If you have a (physical) burner in your machine, you can make either a MP3 or a (upconverted) WAV file of their DRM'd music, with which you can then do as you please. However, you can't say "write the MP3 to the hard drive" or "write the WAV to the HD".

Only one of my three machines has a writer, and in true Microsoft fashion, for some reason, that's the only of the three machines that I can't get the Sony Connect software to work on. So, I have no way of "liberating" the songs unless I (a) get a burner for one of the machines that works or (b) spend hours working with the support people to find out why the one machine can't do the software.

So yes, I'd love to have a virtual burner.

Brad

11. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I had to read that line three times before I figured out what you were suggesting.......

I was trying to figure if burn a ....you know, was some sort of obscure technical euphemism or whether it was an insult. I think we should all adopt that as our new phrase. The question now is.....what DOES it mean?

That has got to go in a .sig line somewhere, but you just know it'll be banned. :)

12. WanMan

WanMan New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Georgia
    Dear god it was late and I do not know what I was thinking. So much for the spellchecker. :D

13. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Don't worry, no one will fry your arse for this. ;)

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's not really the media I'm worried about (I could just use RW disks) its the time required for the process. Burning a full DVD+RW at 2.4x take almost 30 minutes. Ripping that same DVD back to the hard drive takes another 20-30 minutes. I've never used a virtual DVD burner (obviously because I can't find one) so I can't say how fast that is but I have mounted a DVD ISO in Daemon Tools and ripped it, and that only took about 5 minutes instead of 30.

Dan

15. WanMan

WanMan New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Georgia
    So, 60-minutes/DVD sounds like a job a lacky could do for, say, minimum wage.

16. swsotd

swsotd New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    What's being asked for in this thread would be illegal (let's not get into an irrelevant philosophical discussion of whether it should or shouldn't be). As such it isn't allowed on this forum. Yes, I'm fully aware that I'm suggesting that a moderator has started a banned topic.

17. jafa

jafa Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Arizona
    It is perfectly legal under copyright (proven in court) to convert music you have purchased to different formats for your own personal use for things like mp3 players.

Time shifting is ok, space shifting is ok, sharing music in a public forum with get your arse kicked.

Nick

18. swsotd

swsotd New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about "circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work". It's legal to move shows you've TiVoed to your PC, but the forum owner doesn't allow discussion of extraction for the same reason.

19. WanMan

WanMan New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Georgia
    Do I really have to create a thread on behalf of the interested individuals about wanting DVD-R ISO creator for, say, my Word documents or my Excel spreadsheets without you having to bring politics into the picture?

20. TreborPugly

TreborPugly Unreal!

May 2, 2002
    Eastern TN
    Most burner programs will create an image for you. However, the version of Nero that I used to use only burned a Nero specific image, not an ISO. For DVD stuff, check out www.doom9.org. There's a couple of differenate ISO creation tools on there.