So your TivoHD HDMI died - here is the FIX

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by philhu, Feb 16, 2016.

1. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ

Advertisements

so the HDMI failed. Says powering up and then goes black.

He is the fix! Buy a box to use the Component ports!!! Buy these, plug it, works fine, up to 1080i (Max on tivoHD anyway):

monoprice.com:
    Part#
    3395 S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Cable, 18 inches $1.63
    5352 1.5ft 22AWG 3-RCA Component Video Coaxial Cable (RG-59/U) - Black $1.93
    5971 Component Video + Digital Coaxial and Digital Optical Audio to HDMI® Converter $38.63

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I suppose if your TV has HDMI, but no component inputs, that is a possible solution. I've been running component video straight from my TivoHD to TV for 5+ years, and optical audio from my TivoHD to my AVR (5.1 system).

Do new TVs lack component? In any case, I just use my HD for OTA now, and would probably just transfer shows to my Roamio, whose HDMI does work, to play. Or to my PC, and cast them to my TV.

Or, since I don't even use my TV's wimpy speakers, I'd buy a $20 component + L/R audio to HDMI converter, like this one http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETRHP-Component-Converter-Windows-10/dp/B003VJ9RP6, and just not use the audio at all, sticking with optical to my receiver.

3. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    that works

Many tv and receivers no longer even have compnent.

I needed this because I have a 8x2 matrix hdmi switcher, 8 inputs and 2 outputs. So I needed to keep it HDMI

I dropped my compnent switicher connections 2 years ago.

My idea was an easy way for hdmi people to restore the hdmi on a tivoHD unit and it works fine for that.

Should mention that alot of really new TV and receivers do not like non HDCP HDMI connections, and you need to mark the port it their software as PC or GAME

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    The HDMI port failed on my XL4.
    Bought a Component Video YPbPr RGB Audio to Composite VGA Converter so I could connect tivo to computer screen.
    This works ok, eventually I will replace the HDMI chip and hope that fixes it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/171731745162?

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

My current setup is tivo to TV HDMI. Tivo to receiver digital optical. I'd replace HDMI with component if HDMI port failed.

6. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    That would be tough for me to do, hence the monprice thingy.

My tv is 250+ ft away from the tivo usine a splitter and Ethernet extender wires

Couldn't and don't want to run component 250 ft!

7. seggers

seggers Member

Oct 6, 2008
    WNY
    I'm back after a couple of years being away...

So this looks like being a common thing. My HDMI out suddenly went to No Signal, which sucks.

So component it is then... Or maybe I can finally get a Bolt...

Seggers

8. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Or you could follow the instructions of this thread you appended to, to get HDMI back. Part numbers are listed, Pretty cheap

I am keeping both my TIVOHD units, one lost HDMI and I did above to get HDMI as I have no Component infrastructure left.

I keep my hacked TivoHD units because, even though FIOS said only HBO-owned channels would be marked non-copyable, they are slowly marking new ones in my area as such. 2 weeks ago NATGEO and FOXNEWS went non-copyable, which makes a total of about 8 so far.

9. Apr 7, 2016 #9 of 12
    seggers

seggers Member

Oct 6, 2008
    WNY
    Thankfully, my TV has component in on it, so I don't need to spend the money. I might get an optical cable, to improve the sound.

BTW, what instructions to fix the HDMI port? If it requires solder, then I'm out as I've never done it before.

Seggers

10. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Fox told tivo to set the copy flag for fox owned cable channels including natgeo.

Your solution is a workaround for people who can't directly use component. Makes no sense for seggers. You can buy a digital cable for a couple of dollars plus shipping.

11. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    All of my receivers still have component, but it doesn't go to the hdmi out, only the component out.

All my boxes are in a rack in my basement feeding a 8x4 HDMI switcher, feeding 4 tv throughout my house running on a ROOMIE remote control on 5 iPODs, so component doesn't work for me. The only thing in each room is a tv/receiver/bluray player.

12. jeremy_lauer

jeremy_lauer New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    Thanks for posting this. It is very useful.