So You Think You Can Dance: your personal All-Stars (please tag competition spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Jul 18, 2011.

1. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Now that we've gotten to the point in the current season where the All-Stars have been announced, you can probably guess what I'm thinking. There are certain dancers who were the darlings of the judges that made me say "meh" and I'm not keen on seeing them back again.

Just for reference, here's the list of this season's All-Stars:

Melody Lacayanga (season 1)
    Allison Holker (season 2)
    Pasha Kovalev (season 3)
    tWitch, Comfort Fedoke and Chelsie Hightower (season 4)
    Brandon Bryant (season 5)
    Kathryn McCormick (season 6)
    Robert Roldan (season 7)
    [Alex Wong out due to injury, replacement still to be named]

On the other hand -- Brandon Bryant is back! Whoo hoo!

So -- assume that every dancer from SYTYCD were magically available and willing to come back to the show -- and post your own list of All-Stars. If we have to have the All-Stars come back, which 10 dancers would make your list?

I'll come back and post a list later when I've had more time to think about it, but I'd like to see the "room for more growth" rule applied to the All-Stars as well, and bring back Season three's Sara Von Gillern.

Look at her body of work from the first six weeks on the show (where the dancers only had one performance per week):

• Jazz-Pop: "Cabaret Hoover" from Les Triplettes de Belleville (Wade Robson)
    • Paso Doble: "We Will Rock You (bonus remix)"—Queen (Jean-Marc G)
    • Krump: "It's Okay (One Blood)"—The Game (Li'l C)
    • West Coast Swing: "The Rockafeller Skank"—Fatboy Slim (Benji w/Heidi assisting)
    • Jazz: "Body Language"—Queen (Mandy Moore)
    • Disco: "Knock on Wood"—Rachel Stevens (Doriana Sanchez)

It would be interesting to have a database of dances listed for each dancer -- I think Sara would rate pretty high on my 'most memorable' ranking. Of course a lot of that has to do with the quality of the choreography the dancers are given, but the dancers also have to bring a good performance to the table. And if you throw out the Paso Doble*, I really like everything that Sara did here.

*Can't stand the Paso Doble to non-Latin music, but that's not the fault of the dancers, so for week two, she gets a pass.

I'd have to sit and work it out, but I wonder if there is any other dancer on the show for which I'd pick five of their first six performances as either "must see" (Wade's dance) or "really entertaining" (all the rest).

Of the All-Stars we're getting, I'm most excited to see Brandon Bryant, Chelsie Hightower, and tWitch. And it will be interesting to see Melody again, since she hasn't been back before.

But there's a part of me that still thinks that bringing back the All-Stars is an Abomination. Yeah, I get it, Twitch and Alex Wong. But how many snore-worthy performances are we getting in addition to that, and how many really good performances from the current-season contestants might we be losing because the All-Stars are taking up space?

P.S. is there any place that lists the dancers' heights? Because if we're really going to play fantasy camp, we'd need to know who could really be paired with whom, and there's no point in saying it would be fun to see Sara von Gillem dancing with Jess if she's too tall.

2. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I'd bring back Janette Manrara from Season 5 ! She was consistently near the top each week and got screwed by Tyce's insipid Cancer Dance.

She and Brandon had some kick-ass routines that year -- Cha Cha, Disco, Argentine Tango & Jazz all were amazing. Their hip-hop and waltz, while not as great, weren't half bad, either.

And, they need to get Wade Robson back on the show. He is the only choreographer where I don't think 'eh ... I've seen that move before'.

3. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'd like to see the following back (although I know reasons why a couple wouldn't do it)

1. My all time favorite SYTYCD dancer: Mark Kanemura. I know he's with GaGa so I bet he wasn't even approached this season. I also know he's been a previous all star so they probably wanted someone different anyhow.
    2. Jakob Karr. I get why he didn't win but I still think he's the best contemporary dancer that's been on this show. And I realize others will argue me so let me make sure I say IN MY OPINION.... and that opinion is only because normally I am not a fan of the contemporary dancers and somehow he became my favorite of that season.
    3. Jeanine Mason. I thought with her sister not making the show, we might see her.

Other than those, I really don't have any preferences. I totally could have done without Pasha. Ugh.

4. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Absolutely. Okay, this year's Melanie and Marko are a nice couple, but magic together? What?

Have the judges forgotten Brandon and Janette?

1. top cha-cha on the show of all time
    2. J nearly tripped in the middle of super-fast disco, but made amazing recovery, barely missing a beat
    3. ditto your remarks on Argentine Jazz and Tango

They were burning up the joint, and J. was on my shortlist to win the whole show.

Seriously, I know the Travis fans wanted him to win instead of Benji, but Janette was just killing stuff week after week. I think Janette got screwed far worse than Travis did.

P.S. to photoshopgrl: Two words -- "Bleeding Love". One of the best SYTCD performances of all time.

Is there anything we've seen this season that comes up to that quality? I think not.

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Someone actually know Chelsie well???

She tweeted about 5 days ago that she is only there for one week, that her DWTS contract doesn't allow more than that. This would be a bummer.....

https://twitter.com/#!/chelsiehightowr

6. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Ditto this. :eek:

7. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA

OMG:

Of course I'm still waiting for the DwtS-SYTYCD mashup that would put all the DwtS ballroom pros through the SYTYCD competition. It would never happen, but it would be so much fun.

8. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    All-Stars for next week's show:

• Ivan Koumaev (Season 2)
    • Jaimie Goodwin (Season 3)
    • Anya and Pasha (Season 3)
    • Lauren Gottlieb (Season 3)
    • Neil Haskell (Season 3)
    • Ade Obayomi (Season 6)
    • Lauren Froderman (Season 7)