So You Think You Can Dance "Top 8 performance show" 7/27/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Lady Gaga and Rob Marshall guest judge.

Sasha and Pasha - 1-888-TEMPO-01 - Sorry missed the first performance (quick step) because of bad weather.

Caitlynn and Ivan - 1-888-TEMPO-02 - Hip hop by Marty Kudelka - She is one of my favorites and I really liked this one and thought she danced great.

Jordan and Ade - 1-888-TEMPO-03 - Jazz by Tyce Diorio - I usually not a big Diorio fan but actually liked this one. Jordan did very good at it.

Melanie and Neil - 1-888-TEMPO-04 - Contemporary by Mandy Moore - Another enjoyable performance. Loved the leap she did into his arms.. Crazy!

Ricky and Anya - 1-888-TEMPO-05 - Jive by Jason Gilkison - The move in the middle looked a little labored but over all I thought he did a very good job.

Jess and Lauren G - 1-888-TEMPO-06 - Hip hop by Napoleon and Tabitha - It was good but not my most favorite of the night. He did good though.

Tadd and Lauren F - 1-888-TEMPO- 07 - Jazz by Mandy More - A cute number. Not my favorite but pretty good. Lauren did really well as a "pro" and Tadd did good too.

Marko and Allison - 1-888-TEMPO-08 - Contemporary by Sonya Tayeh - Finally a Sonya performance I've enjoyed in a while. Gaga crying. Very good performance.

Caitlynn and Tadd - Fox trot by Jonathan Roberts - Cute little number and they did very well.

Marko and Ricky - Hip hop by Tabitha and Napoleon - A funny little hip hop routine. Very good. Marko did better though.

Jordan and Jess - Rumba by Jason Gilkison - Yeah I agree with Nigel. The chemistry wasn't very good.

Sasha and Melanie - Jazz by Sonya Tayeh - Very odd but very enjoyable. These two are great and will probably be in the finals.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Sasha and Pasha did a nice quickstep. GaGa is crap as a judge, IMHO.

I agree with you on the leap Melanie did. Great stuff!

Back to back Lauren's was great! Too bad I won't remember who they were dancing with.:p

3. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Plus she looks like a circus act..

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I loved most of Gaga's comments!

5. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I tone out the judges most of the time :)

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    She got better after Sasha, but the comments she made then were unintelligible.

7. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I thought Gaga did a good job with her comments. She mostly pointed out what she did NOT like was the choreography (this is rarely brought up when it is usually why I don't like a dance) and said that the dancers did great with what they were given. I think she actually gave a few pointers to some of the dancers as well, much like Neil Patrick did when he was on.

I've never been a big Melanie fan, but her dance with Ade blew me away. It was just stunningly gorgeous. I didn't care for the piece that blew everyone else away with Sasha (but I think I rarely like Sonya's choreography).

I also thought Caitlynn looked beautiful in her foxtrot (I think a lot of it was the dress and the way it moved throughout the performance).

The outfit they put on Jordan in her second number was beyond tacky. I'm also not much of a fan of hers, but her first dance impressed me.

8. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    They've been putting up the episodes online, so maybe you'll be able to see it sometime.

I had lots of signal glitches tonight. What with that and the choreography and whatever, I was underwhelmed.

Biggest disappointment of the night: the rumba. I wonder if they would have danced it better, had they not been asked to spend so much time messing about with a chair. :rolleyes:

I leave it to Mary Murphy to say what's actually missing, but you can tell that something is not right somewhere with a rumba when you hear me yelling "it's not slinky enough!"

Really, really disappointed that it wasn't more sensual. I thought Jordan would have knocked that out of the park.

What a bummer. :(

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think Gaga did a great job.
    One of my biggest issues with this show is all the praise they heap on the choreographers and the critiques they give the dancers when usually it is not the dancers fault but the choreographers - so refreshing as was said before me - that NPH and Gaga pointed out the dancers were not to blame for a choreographers weakness.
    I was surprised they didn't mention that former contestant Mark Kanemura is one of her main dancers - guess we'll get that tonight - cause he is AMAZING in her performances.

Rob Marshall - nice fake orange tan - what'd you do buy that at Walgreen's?

The show has stepped up for me since the allstars arrived but I am finding in some pairings they are totally outshining the contestants.

10. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    As usual, for me, the yardstick is what routines are "keepers", assuming I were assembling a best of, "you gotta see this!" anthology of SYTYCD.

The "wow" routines are very thin on the ground this season, and I blame the choreographers. So I agree with your comments about NPH and Gaga -- good for them for dinging the choreographers.

When Tadd was dancing, I groaned when I heard that Mandy was doing another heist/caper number.

The trouble with the All-Stars totally outshining the contestants is that it obscures what we're supposed to be looking at. I need to be watching what contestants are outshining other contestants. The All-Stars coming back usually leave me with the feeling that previous seasons were far superior to the recent ones, and that this season sucks.

So while I would not want to give up watching Twitch and Alex Wong, for the most part, I think the All-Star idea is a bad idea. It's a lose-lose proposition. Either the new dancer is cast into the shade by the All-Star, in which case they won't seem like a worthy winner even if they win, or they make the All-Star look bad, which reduces the lustre of the All-Star the next time they're used on the show. Only rarely will we get the desired outcome, because no matter what Nigel keeps telling us, the chance to have dancers that are as good as Alex Wong on the show is rare.

(In retrospect it's easy to see why Alex wasn't released by his ballet company, the first time he made top 20. What company wants to have their dancer go on someone else's show and be injured and out for a couple of seasons?)

11. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Did the GaGa comment about how she knows Nigel would like Caitlyn to open her legs make it into the West Coast feed or did it get cut? They tried to gloss over it when she said it, but you could tell Nigel wasn't happy. :)

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    It was nice to see "the butt" again! :)

13. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    :confused:

Lauren Froderman won Season Seven.

The famous Mia Michaels routine featuring the girl's butt was danced by Evan Kasprzak and his partner Randi Evans. That was Season Five.

Did they make butt jokes about Lauren, too?

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree with you about the wow routines and sometimes I wonder what the judges are watching - in particular the soldier routine earlier this season and last night's girl on girl - I thought both were just OK and they gushed and gushed about them.

On the other hand - I was quite moved by the piece choreographed to the Jeff Buckley song - but I never heard that song before so I may have been responding more to Buckley.

I do think some of the contestants got better when paired with all-stars so even though I am contradicting myself I'm not sure it is a bad idea.

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

Yes, it did!

16. voripteth

voripteth User Advocate

Apr 9, 2003
    I found Jordan's red dress to be very distracting and not in a good way. Dancers are extreme athletes but that dress just made her look.. thick.

We turned up the volume on Melanie's jump to hear the Ooof! when she is caught. It was an amazing move.

My prediction is that Jess and Jordan will be sent home tonight.

17. cmgal

cmgal Member

Oct 1, 2003
    OC, CA
    I think Caitlyn and Ricky will be going home tonight.

18. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    totally agree. the straps around her hips were digging into her and it made her look fat, which she isnt.

same thing with the girl in the last dance wearing the spandex shorts. it made her legs and torso look like a tree trunk.

19. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Jordan is soft in places -- you can see it in the outfit she wore for her audition. One of the things I loved about the audition is that she was willing to let everybody see she has a little bit of a belly and is soft around the waist. She was so confident about her dancing, it didn't matter.

Sadly, many of the great qualities of that audition didn't translate to the main show.

20. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Woot ! Janette Manrara is an All Star next week !! She'll probably do a Latin thing since Ellenore and Jaime are there for contemp/jazz/whatevs. And is Pasha the only male ballroom alum on the planet ?

'Next week’s guest judges will be actress Christina Applegate and award-winning choreographer Lil’ C, and the All-Stars making a return to the So You Think You Can Dance stage will be Kent Boyd, Jaimie Goodwin, Pasha Kovalev, Janette Manrara, Ellenore Scott and tWitch.'