So You Think You Can Dance "Top 4 results finale show" 8/11/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Time to see who wins. Kind of glad this season is almost over..

Top 20 group performance by Sonya Tayeh.

Nigel apologizing to the guys for being a dill hole last night.

Mary picks Tyce Diorio's "Full of me" with Sasha and Kent.

Nigel picks Napitabs "I got you" with Marko and Melanie.

Robin picks Mandy Moore's "Another one bites the dust" with Tadd and Lauren

Lil' C picks Napitabs routine with Miranda and Robert.

Cat picks Tyce Diorio's the top 8 circus routine.

SYTYCD UK winner Matt Flint with Jess and Nick.

Mary picks Mandy Moore's "Total eclipse of the heart" with Melanie and Neil

Jesse picks Sonya's piece with Marko and Allison

Tyce picks Sonya's Geisha top 10 girls routine.

First results of the night:

First person leaving the competition and in 4th place is.... Tadd.

Lil' C picks Spencer Liff's piece with Ashley and Chris

Top 4 go to the Glee 3D premiere.

Nigel picks Chris Scott's piece with Sasha and Twitch

Sonya picks Chris Scott's top 10 guys performance.

Jesse picks Miriam and Leonardo's piece with Caitlynn and Pasha

Mary picks Travis Wall's "Return to stone" performed by Marko and Melanie

Results #2:

2nd person leaving the competition and in 3rd place is.... Marko.

Nigel picks Sonya Tayeh's routine performed by Sasha and Melanie

The winner of So You Think You Can Dance Season 8 is...... Melanie!!! (Dialidol wrong I'm shocked!....NOT!)

2. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Only because he read the message boards and they trashed him royally.

3. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    LOL probably.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Thanks for the work with these threads, Kamakzie! It really adds to my enjoyment of the show. If we could nominate and elect a guest judge for the show, you'd get my vote.

5. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    LOL not sure about that but I appreciate it. Thanks.

6. tlrowley

tlrowley Quilt Geek

Jun 10, 2004
    Lancaster, PA
    jay_man2 beat me to it, Kamakzie. I look forward to your threads every week. Thanks for all the hard work, you provide a wonderful summary each and every week.

7. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    That Nick/Jess/UK guy tap routine was the best thing on this show all season- and they choreographed it themselves.
    Nick should absolutely not have been eliminated so early.

8. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    That was a great routine! My daughter is a tapper so we always want to see more tap!

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    And yet, the two guys put together still would have finished third.

Nigel also mentioned that New York Times article. If you interpret the last line, "These dancers wouldn’t stand up to dancers in New York," as "Most SYTYCD finalists wouldn't be able to get cast in a Broadway show," and keeping in mind that SYTYCD finalists are expected to be "jacks of all (dancing) trades," is that particularly accurate?

(And if the show did include ballet, how soon would it be before the ballet community started screaming about how they were subjecting the dancers who didn't have ballet training to possible serious injury?)

10. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree.
    This season was over for me when Nick got ousted.

11. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    So what say you? Does this follow the Travis rule* or what?

*Travis rule: the #2 dancer is the better dancer than the one who actually won the show

12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    There was a "blonde" guy in the top 10 guy dancers on last night's show that I swear I couldn't recognize. He must have dyed his hair after he got kicked off.

13. voripteth

voripteth User Advocate

Apr 9, 2003
    It looks like the runner-up gets the shorted compared to the rest of the contestants. As each is eliminated they get taken aside and shown their best moments of the competition, except for 2nd place.

Fair?

14. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I thought they showed both of their highlights before they announced the winner?

15. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I took the remark to mean, each dancer dancing in his/her own style.

I think it's fair to say, in general, that the dancers who are on SYTYCD, each dancing in his/her own style, are below the standard of dance in NYC.

There are exceptions, obviously. Iveta, certainly, because as a 10-dance champion, she has proven in known competition that she has been the best in her style. And maybe Alex Wong -- he gave up a position in an established company to do the show (although a ballet professional could then argue about the standard of ballet in Miami vs. New York).

Everyone (even Iveta and Alex) is going on the show to get seen. You could argue that if these dancers were at the top of their own style, they wouldn't need the show to help them get noticed -- they would already be known by the people who know stuff, and they'd be too busy working on their own gigs to have the time to devote to the show.

For Iveta, she's already been to the top of her field, and has nowhere else to go but retirement, so a show like SYTYCD or DwtS is a nice way to transition to being a coach/choreographer and establishing a studio. Other professional ballroom people would have known her already, but if she wants to attract people who might be interested in competing on the ballroom Pro-Am circuit, this is great exposure.

16. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Boorrrringggg. A fitting end to the worst season ever.

They really need to do something with the solos. 30 seconds isn't nearly long enough to see how a dancer can really move in their own style. After top 10, say, each dancer should do a choreographed solo routine just like they do for the pairs now.

I also wonder about the viability of the dancers after the show. I know Janette has been in the "Burn the Floor" cast but have any contemporary dancers really went on to have a big career outside of being pimped by SYTYCD (ie Travis) ?

17. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
  18. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    OK, so what went wrong this season? Format? Dancers? Choreographers?

I felt there was too much contemporary and not enough of other styles. What ballroom there was wasn't very good, but I think some of that was poorly choreographed and some was the contestants not being good at it. I wish we had more hip-hop, or at least more that wasn't lyrical hip-hop, even though I do like that style. Lyrical hip-hop kind of blends into contemporary in my mind, which is maybe why it felt like So You Think You Can Dance Contemporary to me.

Is having the all-stars still taking away from letting the contestants develop partnerships? I think of some of the early seasons and remember some wonderful partnerships developing. I love to be able to watch some of them again (more Twitch!), but maybe it's taking away from the contestants.

Are we getting a different crop of dancers than in the earlier seasons?

One thing that annoys me is WAY too much filler and judge chatter, especially when they have 4 on the panel. The show might be more enjoyable if they didn't stretch it to 2 hours for every performance show.

Opinions?

19. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
  20. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    They did. The last two had their highlights shown together, just before the winner was announced; this is the way it is done every year. (They do this with the final two on Idol as well.) This is because once they announce the winner, the celebrations begin, and they don't want to interrupt that just to show the highlights packages.