So You Think You Can Dance "Top 20 performance show Take 2" 6/22/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Anybody know what this Obama speech is going to do to the show?? I hope its shown in its entirety.

Programming note - @DANCEonFOX will air live in its entirety immediately after Pres. Obama’s address in ET/CT & at its regular time in MT/PT

Okay finally here we go..

Ryan & Ricky - 1-888-TEMPO-01 - Jazz by Mandy Moore - I liked it pretty okay. Pretty provocative I suppose. They seemed to dance it well.

Caitlynn and Mitchell - 1-888-TEMPO-02 - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey - I really liked this one and thought it was good. Wow she took a real shot to the nose!

Missy and Wadi - 1-888-TEMPO-03 - Cha-cha by Jean-Marc Genereux - I thought they did very good. Wadi appeared to be a little upright and stiff at times, Missy did very good.

Iveta and Nick - 1-888-TEMPO-04 - Bollywood by Nakul Dev Mahajan - They were moving pretty fast. Looked like they did well.

Miranda and Robert - 1-888-TEMPO-05 - Hip hop by Napitabs - I thought they moved really well. I thought I noticed a slight botch by Miranda but I could be wrong.

Clarice and Jess - 1-888-TEMPO-06 - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey - I liked it, thought they did very nicely. Glad he was able to do all the lifts and didn't drop her.

Jordan and Tadd - 1-888-TEMPO-07 - Viennese Waltz by Jean-Marc Genereux - I thought they did that really good. Both were great.

Melanie and Marko - 1-888-TEMPO-08 - Jazz by Mandy Moore - I liked it. Kind of a weird music change in the middle but I thought they did good.

Sasha and Alexander - 1-888-TEMPO-09 - Hip hop by Napitabs - I thought they both did very nicely. I think Sasha will be here till the end.

Ashley and Chris - 1-888-TEMPO-10 - Broadway by Spencer Liff - Interesting concept with the bars. I liked it, it was entertaining.

2. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Fave *performance* of the night was Jordan and Tadd in J-M G's V-Waltz. I would have liked to have seen a little more 'breath' and smoothness in Tadd's movement, and a bit more flow across the floor from both, but the lines were gorgeous. As the judges said: This is a b-boy? Awesome.

Also fun to see Iveta and Nick in the Bollywood. Was it as good as some of the Bollywood numbers we've seen in previous seasons? No, but let's get real, this is only week 2. And I was impressed with Nick being able to pull off that lift, since I doubt he's had much partnering.

Special thumbs up to Miranda and Robert, whom I thought danced really well, and overcame my dislike of the Nappytabs choreography, at least for the first time through.

I thought Wadi made a valiant attempt at the cha-cha; I thought Missy was okay for a beginner, but that her performance was too soft.

Least fave performance was probably Melanie and Marko -- I didn't think they were together at all. Didn't really watch Sasha and Alexander because I was doing something else on the computer while they were on.

I don't know who will be in danger tomorrow, but if Tadd and Jordan are in the bottom, something's seriously wrong with America.

3. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Nobody blew me away.
    There are still a lot of people I don't care about.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Just for once I would like to hear the judges say to a contestant:

You did a great job with what you were given - it's a shame your choreographer sucks.

5. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Title = spoiler (for those of us that haven't watched last week's elimination show)

6. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Guide Data is also a spoiler: "Top 20 Dance again." So if he had posted the actual ep title in the guide data, no help there....

7. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    I hope they don't invite Debbie Reynolds back as "guest judge". I thought she was boring and predictable - everyone was either "wonderful" or "fabulous".

8. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Ryan & Ricky - i thought they were quite horrible really, looks like "step1, move2" instead of dancing

Caitlynn and Mitchell - very good!

Missy and Wadi - not bad

Iveta and Nick - not bad

Miranda and Robert - pretty good! Miranda is growing on me since her solo last week...

Clarice and Jess - exactly what Nigel said, apart they were very good, together parts they looked like they struggled

Jordan and Tadd - nice

Melanie and Marko - I enjoyed it

Sasha and Alexander - Sasha was excellent, Alex was meh

Ashley and Chris -- the theme helped them, fun

9. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I've heard some people hint at this, that they "had to dance what they were given" etc.

My rule is -- it's the dancer's job to sell the choreography they were given. It doesn't matter if the choreography sucks. Their dancing has to make me not notice how bad it is. Totally unfair, but that's the way the business is.

There are always going to be choreographers I don't like or pieces by certain choreographers that don't wow me. Case in point, I usually don't like anything by Dave Scott -- it's not that I dislike him either, but his stuff usually leaves me cold. (Across the board I tend to like Shane Sparks' work better).

So the dancers have an uphill battle when they draw Scott as a choreographer. But on the other hand, if the dancing is really great, they should help me see why it is that people who like Dave Scott really like him.

10. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I have to disagree on Missy and Wadi. It was a mess.

Missy did well in that she had the rhythm right, as far as I could see. But she missed a lot of the Latin feel. Her dancing needed to be a lot sharper and crisper. Her dancing wasn't anywhere near as good as the judges were making it out to be -- that was early-week BS.

Let's be fair. Compare Wadi to Russell in clip #1, and Missy to Janette in clip #2. Russell is in Vegas week (but being whipped into shape by his partner, a World Champion, so he has an advantage that other dancers in his place wouldn't). Cha cha is toward the end of the clip (start around 5:30).

(Brandon and Janette's cha-cha from Season Five Week 4 removed....)

11. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    murgatroyd- it makes me very happy that you love that Russell/Iveta number as much as I do :D
    They captured the essence of that Cha-cha, which no matter how well they do the steps technically, is what matters most to me.

12. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    You call comparing folks to two past winners "being fair"?? :) :cool:

I said "not bad" considering their backgrounds and the dance. I've seen far worse ballroom than that on this show. I did not say "great!"

13. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    They are partners in that cha-cha. It looks like they've already been dancing together for years.

That is rare.

That clip of Russell and Iveta is my #1 favorite Vegas Week segment of all time (more than Ryan Kasprzak's group number, more than Alex Wong's solo, more than the ballroom round where Adam Shankman caught Phillip Chbeeb popping with his free arm, during the Waltz, etc.).

Best Vegas Week moment ever.

Season One of DwtS will always be my favorite for the same reason -- because Charlotte Jorgensen and John O'Hurley had that same kind of instant partnership. John and Charlotte were a couple, but with everyone else on the floor, you only saw two randomly-thrown-together people dancing at the same time.