So You Think You Can Dance "Top 14 Results show" 7/7/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1 of 24
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Someone might need to fill in. Our Fox is in full news coverage about a massive manhunt in Grand Rapids over a guy that killed 7 people and is now cornered. I'll see if I can get my friends Sling feed.

Okay I got on her sling. Looks really crappy but this will work..

Group performance by Nakul dev Mahajan

Melanie and Marko are safe.
    Caitlynn and Mitchell are safe.
    Ashley and Chris are in the bottom 3.
    Clarice and Jess are safe.
    Jordan and Tadd are in the bottom 3.
    Ryan and Ricky are in the bottom 3. Kind of figured that would happen.
    Sasha and Alexander are safe.

Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet performance.

Solo time:

Ashley - Nothing super extrodinary.
    Chris - Kind of entertaining.
    Jordan - Lots of HMV moves..
    Tadd - Pretty good, lots of tricks 99% of America couldn't do.
    Ryan - Not a big fan but I think she had the better solos of the girls tonight.
    Ricky - A pretty good solo.

Florence and the Machine perform.

Results time:

Ashley is going home.

Chris is going home.

2. Jul 7, 2011 #2 of 24
    tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    big surprise.

"Ryan, you were great. Step back"
    "Ricky, you need to find out why America isn't connecting with you"

:rolleyes:

3. Jul 7, 2011 #3 of 24
    jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Ryan's getting a pass that she doesn't deserve. Too bad Alexander wasn't in the bottom three so they could have sent him and her home.

4. Jul 8, 2011 #4 of 24
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Barber's Adagio? For a thirty-second solo? Are you ****ing kidding me?

5. Jul 8, 2011 #5 of 24
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard

Advertisements

They tried to get Alexander in the bottom three- that was as pre-planned a critique as I ever saw.
    But Sasha's fan base kept them out and will continue to do so- she is an Adam Lambert tour dancer and his fans are backing her all the way.

6. Jul 8, 2011 #6 of 24
    magaggie

magaggie Limabean Fransisco

Apr 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah but despite having them "dance for their lives" individually, they're still being sent home as pairs. I assume they want to have the opportunity to send home individuals, but they refuse to take it. They may as well have them dance for their lives as pairs.

And I don't get the Ryan love. She's a good dancer, but she's been in the bottom so many times, you'd think they'd get the idea that she isn't even getting rebound voting from being in the bottom 3 - the public just isn't connecting with her period, which is a tremendous problem for a dancer.

7. Jul 8, 2011 #7 of 24
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Maybe they should give up on having us vote for couples and let people vote for individual dancers from the get-go. Or start the individual voting before we actually get to the top 10, so we get a stronger top 10.

8. Jul 8, 2011 #8 of 24
    maggsm82

maggsm82 Active Member

Sep 20, 2005
    MA
    Not that I vote, but I think that makes a lot of sense, especially if the judges are only going to get rid of people as couples and not individuals. I don't remember how they did the initial pairing, but it seems rather random, so I think a lot of times a stronger partner can keep someone out of the bottom and vice versa.

9. Jul 8, 2011 #9 of 24
    David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I so, so wanted Sasha & Alexander to be in the bottom three just so the judges could send Alexander & Jordan home and we could have a new power couple of Sasha & Tadd.

10. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    In the first two or three seasons, it was random, but somebody realized that you get some strange (and possibly dangerous) mismatches this way, so now the producers (possibly after consulting with the choreographers) pair them arbitrarily. I don't think they have ever said exactly how they decide the pairings, but there might be a brief description in the closing credits.

As for why they don't vote on individuals before they get to the last 10, my guess is, somebody probably figures that having up to 20 numbers gets confusing (although why they can't use, say, 1-888-TEMPO-1B and 1-888-TEMPO-1G for the "boy and girl" in the first couple, 2B and 2G for the second couple, and so on, is beyond me).

11. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I think a great deal of it has to do with height.
    In fact I would go as far as to say that has something to do with how the Top 20 is cast in the first place.
    If they have several really short guys like Jess they need to make sure that they have enough short girls to go around.
    And I'll bet it comes into consideration when they are doing eliminations, too, as they wouldn't want a favorite boy made to look ridiculous by pairing him with an Amazon girl.
    It probably gets pretty complicated.

12. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I thought for this week's dance, Jordan was in the top 3 best girls, yet she got eliminated. :(

And the girl I thought was worst wasn't even in the bottom three. :(

13. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Jordan was not eliminated- it was Ashley.

14. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    :eek: What was I thinking? What a short term memory I have. I guess I was so surprised that Jordan was in the bottom three; I didn't think she deserved to be.

Okay, I guess eliminating Ashley was a reasonable choice, but she wasn't wasn't the worst girl out there, I thought. In my my mind, she might have been the second worst. I'm pretty sure Sasha's the one I'm thinking about I liked the least. (Isn't she the one who's sister was eliminated before the top 20?)

BTW, I like that new judge they got. Finally a new judge with some meat in their criticism. Nigel's still the best judge, but the new guy is the second best in my book.

15. stargazer21

stargazer21 Active Member

May 22, 2002
    Hockey...
    The new guy is Travis Wall, who was the runner up in S2 to Benji (and I still *@%# about that!). He's an amazing dancer and choreographer.

16. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Benji had the advantage of being paired with Donyelle, and the two of them tore up the place while everybody was still in couples. I still remember the Hairspray number that Adam Shankman choreographed (to "You Can't Stop the Beat").

By comparison, I can't even remember who Travis' partner was -- I had to go look it up.

You have to look at the big picture here. It's not like Ivan beat Travis. :p

Travis was the first of a fine tradition of the best (technical) dancer getting second place (Danny Tidwell in season three, Brandon Bryant in season five, ....)

17. stargazer21

stargazer21 Active Member

May 22, 2002
    Hockey...
    Heidi. Bench dance. :)

And I guess I'm a technical fan, cause all those runner ups were dancers I picked to win. I kinda feel like a curse. :eek: Lol!

18. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Sure, everybody remembers the dance that won the Emmy.

But Benji and Donyelle were a really popular couple, and after Donyelle was off the show, Benji might have gotten more benefit from her fans than Travis did from Martha's.

Travis is a super dancer, no doubt about it -- but Benji was a great performer, too. As I said, it's not like Ivan won. That would have really been ugly.

19. brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    Let me first say that Ryan is a great dancer .. Here's the problem with her:

She just looks clunky on the stage when you compare her to the other girls. I don't know if it's her movement, her body shape, her facial expressions or what, but the best description I can give is clunky. She's been consistent and generally speaking "on" from a technical perspective. If she could turn that clunky into flowing or graceful I think that she'd do a lot better with the vote.