So You Think You Can Dance "Top 14 performance show" 7/6/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1 of 20
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Here we go..

Carmen Electra is the guest judge as well as Travis Wall.

Top 7 guys group number choreographed by Justin Giles - I liked it. Seemed like a pretty strong piece and they danced it well.

Melanie and Marko - 1-888-TEMPO-01 - Jazz by Ray Leeper - I thought they danced it well, wasn't a huge fan of the routine but they did very good. I think Melanie will be around till the end.

Sasha and Alexander - 1-888-TEMPO-02 - Hip hop by Shaun Evaristo - I liked it. I thought she was better than Alexander. I liked this hip hop routine. I agree though not much "swag."

Jordan and Tadd - 1-888-TEMPO-03 - Smooth Waltz by Toni Redpath - I thought they did very good with it. Probably the best of the night so far.

Clarice and Jess - 1-888-TEMPO-04 - Contemporary by Justin Giles - I really liked this one and thought they both did great on it.

Ashley and Chris - 1-888-TEMPO-05 - Salsa by Liz Lira - I thought they did the best they could. Some good points and some kind of not as good points.

Ryan & Ricky - 1-888-TEMPO-06 - Jazz by Chucky Klapow - I thought they danced it well. Odd routine but all in all they did very good.

Caitlynn and Mitchell - 1-888-TEMPO-07 - Contemporary by Mandy Moore - Wow lots of lifts and they did it very nicely. One of the tops of the night for sure.

Top 7 girls choreographed by Ray Leeper - They did very well. Very sultry and danced it well.

2. Jul 6, 2011 #2 of 20
    jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Ashley and Chris was odd. It looked like the whole thing was in slow motion.

3. Jul 6, 2011 #3 of 20
    jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Ryan still looked like a step by numbers dancer to me. In the group routine she was making the moves, but Melanie and the others were dancing and entertaining.

4. Jul 6, 2011 #4 of 20
    bluebird-mom

bluebird-mom New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Agree on Ryan! She nearly fell out of her triple turn at the end of the routine. She is really not as good as Nigel wants us to think. Many of the other girls are much stronger dancers than she is, but because she is Mia's girl, we are unfortunately going to see her around until at least the Top 10. I don't know how long she will last after Top 10 once America's votes are the only factor. Nigel will keep her around until then.

Caitlynn and Mitchell had the best dance of the night.

5. Jul 7, 2011 #5 of 20
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not a single re-watchable routine all night long. Not blaming the dancers for all of it -- it's the god-awful choreography and music choices. I mean seriously, Mandy. Celine Dion? Really?

And it is ridiculous -- ridiculous -- to mention that thing of Chucky's in the same breath as Ramalama. Oh, puh-leeeze.

Best Danced:
    Caitlyn and Mitchell

Still want to watch:
    Tadd and Jordan
    Clarice and Jess

Who cares already:
    Melanie and Marko
    Ryan and Ricky

In danger:
    Sasha and Alexander
    Ashley and Chris

Ptui. Time to re-watch some of Seasons 2, 3, 4, and 5 to get the bad taste out of my mouth. OMG that salsa was bad. Like week 2 bad.

[Tyce] Baaaaaaaaaad [/Tyce]

P.S. to Justin Giles: Teddy Tedholm has done "Fragile". He owns it. No other dancers need apply. :p

6. Jul 7, 2011 #6 of 20
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Weird that until last week I detested Jess. Now in just 2 performances he's made me a fan. I actually went online to vote for him and Clarice last night. First ever for my voting on SYTYCD.

7. Jul 7, 2011 #7 of 20
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I found last night boring.
    The opening number was boring and nothing got any better as the night wore on. I got distracted a number of times and had to rewind, only to get distracted again.
    It must have been 11 pm by the time I got the thing watched.

8. Jul 7, 2011 #8 of 20
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thanks for posting the video - that was fun to watch again.
    Reminds me of how much I miss the original set.

9. Jul 7, 2011 #9 of 20
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    So it's not just me that finds this season kind of meh? I just can't find a favorite. I guess Melanie, Clarice or Caitlynn are the closest to favorites for me. By now I usually have a clear favorite.

10. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'm with those that think it was a boring show, but I've been unimpressed with the choreography for the most part all season.

I skip a lot of the judges comments, did someone seriously compare one of the numbers to Wade's Ramalama? That has to be my favorite. I've seen a lot of ripoff stuff from that, especially Sonya's stuff, but nothing coems even close to the energy and originality of Wade's number.

Anyone know why he isn't doing stuff for the show anymore?

11. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    They probably brought up Ramalama because it was Season Two and Travis (who was in Ramalama) was on the panel.

12. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I have favorites.

I like Jordan (loved her audition) and Tadd (the V. Waltz performance was stunning for someone who's a B-boy). And Jess and Clarice have grown on me.

But I despair of them ever getting anything else worthwhile to do.

P.S. just looked over my notes from last night, and I realize that I essentially have a Top 6, and the rest can all go home as far as I'm concerned. I have no confidence that the dancers in the bottom eight can surprise me as the season goes on.

So that pretty much sums up what I think about this season so far.

Every season Nigel tells us how much better the dancers are, and I suppose technically they are. Why then is each season more boring than the last?

I really enjoyed the show up through season five, but for all the seasons after that, I have liked individual dancers and individual bits here and there, but the seasons as a whole were meh.

My standard question: what performances were memorable.
    Season 6: ????
    Season 7, Alex Wong dancing with Twitch

This season -- all the numbers I can think of are the ballroom ones -- Iveta's "Ballroom Blitz", the V. Waltz with Tadd and Jordan, the samba with Mitchell and Caitlyn, and Jess and Clarice's foxtrot. The rest? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I like ballroom, but jeez, guys. The rest of the choreographers seriously need to step it up.

13. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I'm wanting to remember something that happened in Vegas week?
    Maybe a ballroom person and a krumper doing something fabulous?
    :D

Other than that I got nothin'.
    I had Jakob and Russell in Season 6 and they made me very happy but I can't remember any particular routines of theirs.
    Maybe that Bollywood with the two younger kids.... it sticks out in my mind but I can't remember why. I think it was just fun, not particularly proficient.

14. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I think this show is revealing that while there are a number of incredible dancers out there, the pool of choreographers they choose from is very limited. Maybe they should have a "SYTYCC" in addition and try out new choreographers from around the country as well. Or have the dancers do famous routines from choreographers throughout history?

15. MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I loved Caitlyn and Mitchell. Just really loved that whole dance.

16. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Exactly my point -- the best part of Season 6 took place in Vegas week, and not on the actual performance show. I can't think of a single number that I liked anywhere near as much as that sadistic little cha-cha test that Louis set them in the ballroom round.

Actually when re-watching I stumbled across Tyce's can-can number with Mollee and Nathan, which IMHO is more fun than their Bollywood number (it has the distinction of being the first can-can on the show -- and it was not as over-produced as their Bollywood number).

17. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Ramalama is indeed one of the best showcases for what you could do on the original set.

I miss it too. :(

18. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Can we get Ryan Kasprzak to choreograph some group numbers, please? Because his Vegas week number was fab.

19. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That would be cool. Can you imagine what he could do with Jess?

20. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm gonna be the controversial one here. I did not like Mitchell and Caitlyn. I thought it was too manic. Too much going on. Too fast. Too many lifts. They didn't have time to give me emotion and I felt nothing at all. <shrug>