So You Think You Can Dance "Top 10 Results Show" 7/16/09 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Time to see who goes home.

Wayne and Amanda Robson routine. I liked it very much.

4 Emmy routines nominations.

I say this every week but Cat looking stunning once again.

Nigel missing tonight. He's getting an honorary degree back in England.

Results time.

Janette is safe.
    Randi is in the bottom 2.
    Jeanine is safe.
    Kayla is safe.
    Melissa is in the bottom 2. I like them all but please be Randi. No way should Melissa be leaving. By the way dialidol = fail once again.

Season 6 highlights.

Jason is safe.
    Evan is safe.
    Kūpono is in the bottom 2.
    Brandon is safe.
    Ade is in the bottom 2.

Solo time. Won't matter for staying in the competition but nice to see.

Randi - A better solo than last night. Still a little stumbly looking at time. Debbie thought she was on her solo last night, I disagree.
    Kūpono - is this a replay solo for Kūpono? They are using the same music I think.
    Melissa - A good solo, but not good enough if she stays in next week.
    Ade - lots of tricks and jumps, pretty blown back flip towards the end. Very impressive though.

Black Eyed Peas performance. "I've got a feeling"

Melissa is safe and looks like she thought she was going to be the one leaving.
    Randi is going home.

Ade is safe.
    Kūpono is going home and I can now retire the ū key.

Guest judge next week is Ellen Degeneres. Not sure how I feel about that one.. we shall see.

2. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    I had predicted both the bottom 2 of the guys and girls and also the ones going home. Not too shabby! :). There's clearly a difference between what the judges see and what the audiences see.

The judges had been saying for a long time that Randi was keeping Evan in the competition. It appeared from tonight's results it was the other way around - give them new partners and Evan is not even in the bottom 2 and Randi goes home. Hmmm...

On the other hand, the Pasa Doble really is the kiss of death. Do the dance and both dancers go home.

Another interesting comment, although perhaps not relevant. Of the 5 women left, 2 were married. They comprised the bottom 2...

3. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I don't think Ellen is the guest judge next week: I think it's Mia. Unless they're going to have four judges? Have they ever had a judge that wasn't a dancer or someone from the dance world? They said Ellen would be there but they didn't say in what capacity.

I think the audience feels the judges are being too harsh on Evan. He definitely struggles with some of the styles but they never give him any props; finally last night they gave him a bit of love for his lifts (which, I admit, were surprisingly good). Plus I really enjoy his solos.

It's a shame to lose anyone but... that Paso Doble was really bad. Ouch.

4. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    hmm called it this week too, though I was a little surprised Ade was in the bottom. I like him better than Jason.

Melissa is gone this week for sure, but 2nd girl in bottom 2 or bottom 2 guys could be any of them? going to get interesting now :)

5. wdave

wdave New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Stevenson, MD

Advertisements

Haven't you seen the beginning of every Ellen episode? :D

6. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Remember that next Thursday's show is the 100th - Ellen might be involved in that somehow.

-- Don

7. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    They mentioned Ellen in the context of being a comedian, so maybe she's going to tell jokes? I hope not, because I don't find her very entertaining.

By the way, did anybody else notice what I did? Just as Cat said "The girl will will be going home is..." then the screen went black for several seconds. When it came back, the announcement was already made. It was the only blackout in the whole show, and it came at that crucial moment. (But it was obvious by which girl was still standing next to Cat who'd been eliminated, so it wasn't a big deal to me.)

I don't know if the blackout was at the national level or a local Austin problem. I will report that KTBC (local FOX in Austin) is doing work on their antenna, and the new stronger antenna has been hoisted by crane (last Wednesday) but not yet in service. A lot of Austinites are having trouble tuning into FOX, but not me, because I live just 9.9 miles from the (albeit weak) tower, and have a straight shot view of it from my window.

8. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    no blackout at the end here (st. louis)

9. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Ellen can't dance at all but she does it anyways. Cat said at the end of last nights episode that Ellen would be a judge next week.

EDIT: I just replayed the end of last nights episode and Cat said "Ellen DeGeneres will be joining our judges panel".

10. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I thought all the solos looked the same as the night before, so I thought it was odd that she was dinged for that in the comments and others weren't. I did think it looked better, but at least part of that was because the outfit she was wearing was far more flattering than what she wore on the performance night. She had a terrible choice of outfit for that.

Shocked Ade was in the bottom 2. Kinda surprised Melissa was, but her solos aren't really that good to me, especially the one this week.

11. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Yeah I figured it out that they were the same but I thought Randi did better with it than she did the night before. Ade did almost bust up his foot on the backflip last night.

12. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Shirley Temple goes home. :(

They really should ban the Pasa Doble from the top ten part of the competition. It's almost unfair.

13. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Couldn't agree more! I said these words to my husband right after the judges' comments on performance night.

14. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    The right dancers went home, although they are both very good. It's going to be hard to see anyone leave next week.

15. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Not only have I not seen the beginning of every Ellen episode (has anyone, except Ellen? :)), I haven't seen the beginning of any Ellen episode. Is there dancing? I like Ellen (at least I thought her sitcom was not bad) but sh strikes me as a person who might be somewhat rhythmically challenged.

I didn't watch the very end of the show (just saw who got voted out and the videos then turned it off) so I didn't hear about the guest judging spot. I don't think I'll like this. It's bad enough with someone like Debbie Allen, who, while she never actually gives any critique and instead just gushes constantly, at least if she ever did offer any advice she knows what she's talking about. It's hard to see how any of these dancers would or should take any commentary from Ellen on their performance seriously. I guess she might be good at offering advice on getting America to vote for them.

16. Ohmissfl

Ohmissfl Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I don't think Randi should've been the one to go--I think she was a really good dancer. And I am looking forward to Ellen being on the show! :up:

17. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    If we banned every dance style from SYTYCD just because someone had given it a lackluster performance, we'd have much the same result as if we banned people with typos in their posts from posting here.

We would have nothing to talk about and no one to talk with. ;)

Jan

18. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    The problem with the Pasa Doble is it is never done well. It just doesn't excite the viewers. Just like that Russian folk dance - I doubt it will ever be back.

Let's trade the Pasa Doble for a polka :)

19. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I begin to suspect it wasn't a typo, murgatroyd ;)

20. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    so does everyone have the same partner next week? I'm so hating the Kayla/Evan combo. Evan is really popular and Kayla is versatile so they'll stick around for awhile but the height difference really bugs me and there is zero chemistry.