So You Think You Can Dance "Top 10 performance show" 7/20/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    With All Stars.

Neil Patrick Harris guest judging.

Marko and Chelsie - Samba by Jason Gilkison - I thought Marko did really good and Chelsie is just fantastic. She has really progressed since season 4. Plus being on DWTS has helped too.

Sasha solo - 1-888-TEMPO-01 - I like it. Good Solo.

Jordan and Brandon - Contemporary by Dwight Rhoden & Desmond Richardson - Wasn't sure how I would like it at first but it was really pretty good. Very fast and hard to keep up with watching it.

Jess solo - 1-888-TEMPO-02 - Jazzy solo.

Tadd and Comfort - Hip hop by Chad Maldonado - He did good but it was so fast it was again hard to keep up with it.

Melanie solo - 1-888-TEMPO-03 - A good solo.

Mitchell and Melody - Broadway by Tyce Diorio - I didn't really like that at all. They didn't didn't dance it badly or anything. I blame that one on Tyce.

Ricky solo - 1-888-TEMPO-04 - A decent solo.

Clarice solo - 1-888-TEMPO-05 - A nice solo.

Caitlynn and Pasha - Tango by Leonardo and Miriam - I thought she did very well.

Mitchell solo - 1-888-TEMPO-06 - An alright solo.

Sasha and Twitch - Hip hop by Christopher Scott - I thought they did very well. I really enjoyed this one.

Jordan solo - 1-888-TEMPO-07 - Good solo.

Jess and Katherine - Contemporary by Stacey Tookey - I thought he did very well. Not my favorite of the night but real good.

Tadd solo - 1-888-TEMPO-08 - Pretty interesting solo.

Melanie and Pasha - Viennese Waltz by Jason Gilkison - Melanie has been one of my favorites from the get go. She did very nicely in this one.

Caitlynn solo - 1-888-TEMPO-09 - I thought she did good.

Ricky and Allison - Jazz by Tyce Diorio - They both danced it well. Not sure I enjoyed it though. Kind of an odd one.

Marko solo - 1-888-TEMPO-10 - A good solo.

Clarice and Robert - Bollywood by Nakul dev Mahajan - I thought they did very good on it. Very fast and looked good to me.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    Sasha and Twitch were great!

Nice Bollywood number by Clarice and Robert.

3. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    If I were in charge of picking dancers for callbacks, the two I would not call back would be Melanie and Mitchell. I liked what Mitchell did in his solo -- but in partner work, something just isn't happening for me. And I'm not feeling the Melanie love, and haven't been all season.

The person who surprised me and won some of my votes tonight: Ricky. Because he really tore into that choreography. Could he have danced it better? Maybe, but he gave it a really good shot. I'm curious to see what he'll do next time out, which is the reason for voting for someone to come back next week.

[So tell me again why they bother having Tyce choreographing Broadway stuff on this show? Because (putting aside the 'cancer dance' which was IMHO an Abomination) when he steps outside Broadway his choreography is so much more interesting.]

And now for the random thoughts.

Tadd blew Comfort off the stage -- no surprise there. :p

OMG Jordan had to dance with Brandon Bryant -- and then to find out the choreography was from Desmond and Dwight! Hey, no pressure there! I can't say I was always watching her instead of Brandon (that's not possible) but she held her own. Lovely, lovely choreography -- really liked it except that I thought D&D gave Brandon too many chances to pull focus away from his partner. But who can blame them? ;)

I have not been a huge fan of Christopher Scott's choreography, but one of my "how good was the performance" benchmarks is for the dancers to convince me I'm wrong. And Sasha and Twitch just killed that routine.

Note to Jason G.: For ****'s sake, can we have some ballroom choreography that actually has some content in it that reflects the character of the dance? I liked Marko and Chelsie, but I would have liked to see, you know, some more actual samba in it in, instead of them messing about with all the props and crap. (Yes, I'm channeling Len Goodman, so sue me.) And I give wardrobe a major thumbs down for Pasha's half-nekkid Viennese Waltz. [Note to wardrobe: he wasn't dancing a rumba, for cryin' out loud.]

I spent more than half the dance thinking of the LONG list of male professional ballroom dancers I would have much rather seen doing a V. waltz (even if it had to be with Melanie, who leaves me utterly cold) rather than watching Pasha.

And then, with the Argentine Tango -- I'm so over Pasha mugging on cue before they get to the judges remarks. Caitlyn's performance was solid, but I so wish I could have seen her with a better partner. Someone who wasn't Pasha. Anybody. (Hell, call in Evan Lysacek, although he's probably gone back to his skating training by now.) Why couldn't we have had the injury fairy, who was hard at work during the season Russell was on, knock Pasha out so that Caitlyn could have danced the routine with the choreographer?

Seriously, though, imagine how much more fun it would have been to see two of the contestants dance this tango instead of having Pasha the mugger.

Imagine an alternate universe where Iveta and Russell made it on the show together and danced this tango instead, or one where Iveta made it to the top ten and they invited Russell back to dance with her. What a waste of good choreography.

[Second tirade: I'm also pre-bored with the seemingly obligatory remarks about how good Anya was. Get a clue, Nigel, because while Pasha and Anya are decent dancers, and they were fun to watch together, with other partners, they are NOT AS GOOD as you keep telling us they are. It is easy to tell who the good ballroom people are on STYTCD because they are the ones being snapped up by DwtS.]

Add Jess to the list of "liked his dancing, wish I could have seen him with a better partner".

[All-Star diversion: I've complained many times about how I don't like Kathryn and I just don't get why the judges like her. And nothing I saw tonight is likely to change my mind. Look at it this way: if this was my first time ever watching So You Think You Could Dance, and I was looking at Jess and Kathryn vs. Rickey and Allison, I would be convinced that Tyce is a better choreographer than Stacey Tookey -- need I say more?]

Clarice and Robert in Nakul's Bollywood -- maybe not my favorite of all of Nakul's routines, but what's not to like? A fun way to close the show.

Solos: liked the musicality of Tadd's solo. For a lot of the other dancers, it was the usual WTF were they thinking when they constructed this solo? parade. Jess's was fun but lightweight, Melanie's music was bizarre, and most of the other solos, I've forgotten already.

IMHO the B-boys who are really good are the most fun to watch in solos on this show -- the rest of the dancers (unless they are as good as Brandon Bryant or Alex Wong) usually seem to spend 30 seconds flailing about on stage to not much purpose.

Really wish they'd give the dancers 60 seconds instead, since that would allow for people to dance to music with a slower tempo, give more room for light and shade within the solo, etc.

4. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    So how do you really feel about Pasha??
    :D

Don't have my memory banks awake enough yet to comment on specific routines, but dang I enjoyed that show last night.
    But I also remember thinking to myself (as I have for a long time) how crucial music choice is to whether I like a performance or not. That Melody/Pasha Viennese Waltz music (I think that's the one that struck me) was so emotionally manipulative that I find myself responding to that rather than the dancing, and that worries me.
    Maybe I am just easily influenced.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Where to start:

Chelsie sure knows how to look sexy. That hair flying around!

Melanie seems pretty flat. Her solo seemed more like a dance recital.
    I don't feel the hate for Pasha but I don't feel anything memorable last night either.

Caitlynn is great to look at but her solo was totally dance recital. Her Tango however was quite enjoyable.

Something was not right with Jess and Kathryn. She did not want to acknowledge him even after the performance was over. She may have hurt his chances.

My wife can't stand Jordan and thinks her routines are nothing more than a series of poses.
    Sasha is my pick to win it all. Her solo had great musicality and story.

6. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I watched the show with my 103-year-old grandmother who kept saying, "That's not dancing," to every routine except the Viennese Waltz to which she said, "Now that's more like dancing.....slightly.". I kept my mouth shut.

7. cl8855

cl8855 woot!

Jan 2, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    I liked this show a lot tonight, other than Tyce's number

Sasha and Twitch just KILLED it, and I dont even like sasha too much.

Really enjoyed Tadd's solo too, awesome musicality.

8. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Apparently, according to Nigel on Twitter (a Nigeltweet?), the all-stars will change from one week to the next. How much of this has to do with Chelsie Hightower saying that her Dancing with the Stars contract prohibits her from being an all-star for more than one show, he didn't say.

9. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Pasha's probably a great guy. I liked him before it was "all Pasha and Anya all the time."

I blame Nigel.

Music choice plays a HUGE part. HUGE. And it goes both ways. If I can't stand the music, sometimes I can't even watch the dancing. And if I love the music and hate the choreography -- you know.

The best times are when the music and the choreography and the performance all blend into one unified whole. That's when I find myself saying "I have to get me one of these!" and running to Amoeba Music to find the CD of the music that was used on the show. After Brandon and Janette's cha-cha, "Hush hush" went on the "I Must Have It" list -- and yet if you had asked me how likely I was to want a CD* from the Pussycat Dolls, I would have said: "Are you insane?"

*Yes, I could just buy the individual tracks from iTunes or whatever, but having the whole CD pays off when Mia Michaels uses more than one track from the same Imogen Heap album. :p

It's not just you. If we didn't respond to the music, there wouldn't be much point to the whole exercise anyway. The dancers could just do their tricks in silence.

P.S. chalk up last night's post to two things. I took notes while I was watching the show -- and I had too much caffeine at dinnertime. ;)

I chalked it up to staying in the character of the dance -- but yeah, it blew. Not impressed with Kathryn anyhow, see above.

Jordan is young, and if I had been on the panel, I might have argued for throwing her back into the audition pool for a few years to let her mature. I adored her audition for all sorts of qualities that haven't, so far, turned up in her performances on the show.

She's a great example of how some of my favorite bits of SYTYCD are in the audition/Vegas week shows -- you get an intimacy there because of the bare stage and lack of production that you just don't see on the show.

I was re-watching some older years last night and found the "dance for your life" segment with Adechike from Vegas week. When you see that, it becomes absolutely clear why they put him on the show -- but I can't think of a single routine on the main show that had the impact of that solo.

In a more mashed-up SYTYCD with All-Stars, I would have put him in a group number with Brandon Bryant, Will Wingfield, and Danny Tidwell.

I mean really, if we must have All-Stars on the show, let's go full-out. Why must everything be a boy-girl duet?

(Yeah, I know, not everything has been a boy-girl duet. But if they're going to give us Twitch and Alex Wong, then I want to see Jess and Evan K.)

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
  11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    LOVED how NPH slammed Tasty Oreo. A welcome change from all the usual servicing of the choreographers.

12. voripteth

voripteth User Advocate

Apr 9, 2003
    I was very pleased with NPH's judging. Usually celebrity judges fawn over every dancer without adding anything of substance. That was definitely not the case with NPH! :up:

My top four picks who will make it to the end are Melanie, Sasha, Tadd and Marko.

Melanie does nearly every dance perfectly getting rave reviews. She appears humble yet has charisma and star quality, IMHO. I predict she'll win it all.

Sasha has great moves, a bit harsh on the personality side.

Tadd and Marko both have great moves and appear to be great guys.

13. hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    I really appreciated how NPH actually gave criticism to the dancers. Especially Jess. I've been waiting for someone to tell him to stop mugging for weeks now. He's really grown on me, but his smug face he puts on when he's dancing bugs me.

NPH, and JTF last week were both really good guest judges - I'd be cool with them bringing either (or, better, both) of them back.

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Tracy - god bless your grandmother - 103! amazing!
    I used to watch with my 80 year old Mom and she would say very similar things :)

That made me dance with happiness.

Overall I have to say the all-stars really elevated all the regular contestants pretty much across the boards.

OMG Brandon. He's amazing.

15. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Exactly my point.

Sometimes the duets with 2 boys or 2 girls are amazing.

I wish we could see more.

16. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Yeah, my first thought when I saw her face after the routine was "Wow, she so does not want to be there". And I'm one that actually has always like Kathryn. I don't think it had anything to do with staying in character either.

I have to admit, this particular episode was to me one of the strongest of the season. This year I can't really say I've had an episode where more than a couple of the routines really stood out for me, and in this one, the only one that I thought was bad was the first Tyce routine (and wow, that one sucked).

Put me in the camp that just isn't real enthused by Melanie. For some reason, I just can't connect with her.