So You Think You Can Dance "season 13" thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, May 31, 2016.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Just watched last night's episode. Not sure I will be able to stick with it this season. This is one of my favorite summer shows but I'm just not into kids competitions. I'll give it another couple episodes. My guess is this will probably be the last season for the show. :(

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    It was as bad as I expected it to be.

I imagine they got another season based on Lythgoe's proposed kid concept but it's not my cup of tea either. I am wondering if they are going to keep the format the same going forward but - that was no bueno.

3. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Agreed. On the one hand, the kids have amazing talent. But when a 10 year old is acting like a sexy 20 year old woman, it's kind of creepy. Plus if it's the kid who wants to dance, great, but I have to wonder if some of those mothers aren't pushing them. I'll probably watch, and I do like Kat. Paula I could do without.

4. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I completely skipped it this year. I deleted my season pass as soon as they announced the concept. It might be great, but it's not for me.

5. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

ratings are already down, not a good sign.

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Watched 10 minutes. It reinforced that I don't like the idea of kids competing on that level. Not to mention that a lot of the dancing in the preview snippets was not age appropriate. Deleted one pass for year.

7. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    There does seem to be a preponderance of kids competition shows lately think all the cooking stuff.

I guess the 18-49 demo is now 10-18.

8. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I just don't see this age range idea working past this season, probably will kill the show altogether.

9. Jun 1, 2016 #9 of 42
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Boy, this looks terrible... I'll give it a couple of episodes, but I don't think I have the stamina to watch a show full of pre-teens...

Very disappointed... This was one of my favorite shows...

10. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Some of the kids look like they're pretty good, but overall it feels boring.
    I've never really liked all the back story packages, and it feels more amped up with the kids.
    I feel like they're not going to rip into the kids as much as they would the 20-somethings - handling them with >ahem< kid gloves, if you will. It felt kind of weird to have the family up on stage with them in the auditions.

I like Cat. I still miss Shankman.

11. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I wish I could put my hands through the screen and squeeze all the judges by the throat like Darth Vader until they quit making ageist jokes about the kids.

If an eight-year old says (for example) that he has been dancing since he was little or for half his life, cut it out with the stupid remarks about his age. It is not the kid's fault he is only eight years old -- YOU set the rules for the audition. So cut it out with the OH HE'S SO CUUUUUUUTE reactions and act like a bleeping professional.

Oh and good job Nigel, rewarding that girl for crying and begging to be given a second chance. Boo hoo my brother has lost weight. :rolleyes:

Some day she'll have to learn that she can't get away with that diva BS, and I don't know why you didn't give her that lesson now.

The thing is, Master Chef Junior is good. And Project Runway Junior (not Threads, but the newer Junior edition of PR) was really good -- I enjoyed the first season better than I've enjoyed the most recent seasons of PR. The designers had some good stuff -- and the junior editions of both shows lack a lot of the tiresome drama that the 'adult' editions have.

I'll keep watching for a while, because I'm curious to see what the kids will do, once the choreographers get them -- but oh, boy, this is going to be hideous.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  12. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I deleted my SP before episode 1 even aired. I really have no interest in watching Dance Moms...er.....SYTYCD this season.

Leave it to Fox to bastardize and kill great shows like FireFly and Dollhouse and move on to allowing a load of crap.

Agreed. Masterchef Junior IS really good and those kids have tremendous talent and the age factor works for that show.

14. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    As soon as I read about the new format, the term "jump the shark" came to mind...

I love dance and I've loved this show for many years. I can see that some of these kids are extremely talented and I'll stick with it for a while before I decide whether to give up on it or not. I'd like to see some of the kids with choreographers and the all-stars. I'm sure many will be weeded out but I hope to see some who can do-it-all.

And I don't care how talented these kids are at dance, most kids at that age are very obnoxious. Luckily they'll probably edit out the most obnoxious moments.

15. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the decision to go to kids was made by Fox and not Nigel.

I wouldn't worry about obnoxious kids; Nigel has little tolerance for things like that, and I doubt any choreographers worth their salt do either. This is one of the reasons "The Academy" (i.e. "We're Not About To Put Pre-Teens In The Middle Of Las Vegas" Week) exists.

Also note that, if I heard correctly, the live shows will be more DWTS than SYTYCD as the final 10 will be paired with an "all-star" and dance with the same partner for the entire show, which makes sense as they're not about to make a young ballet dancer do Latin, or vice versa.

Besides, I have a feeling...
    The inclusion of Maddie Ziegler as a "guest judge" is telegraphing that either Ava Cota or Sophia Lucia will win - especially if the viewers end up being mostly Dance Moms fans.

16. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Okay two episodes in and still not feeling it. Hopefully it improves with the All-stars.

17. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I actually got into it a little more this week. These kids are so talented! They're amazing. Think of the amount of time they would have to spend practicing. No play for them, I guess.

18. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    the kid puking on Paula Abdul may have been justification for the entire concept.

19. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I know, right?

I loved the kid's comeback line: "You squeezed me too hard, and all the happy came up."

:D

Edited to add: I don't see how they are going to pair up the top 10 with All-Stars for the styles that require partnering without everything turning into a hot mess. It'll be like Season One of SYTYCD with all the odd mismatches. For street styles it may not matter so much, but what about ballroom?

And that one kid who danced with her dance instructor, with the jive? Wasn't he great at underselling his part so he wouldn't draw focus away from her? (Not like Mark Ballas, who can't go out on the floor without going at 120% all the time.) And her technique was nice. I'd take lessons from him any day.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  20. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Looks like the ratings dropped again. 0.8 ouch.