So You Think You Can Dance Season 12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1 of 61
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA

Advertisements

Continued from here as it is no longer considered "pre-airing thoughts"

Yes, he won SYTYCD Canada in 2010. A past winner of SYTYCD Armenia was on a few seasons ago as well.

The only requirements are, you must be at least 18 years old, not older than 30, and either a U.S. Citizen, a green card holder, or someone with a work visa that is good through the end of 2015. Presumably, once you make it to the Top 20, you're not allowed to come back, but they don't tell this to every contestant like they do with American Idol.

And I for one don't believe that Nigel didn't know that he was going to withdraw before it happened. Remember, this happened weeks after Vegas Week (and I don't think they're in Vegas at this point either).

Side note: Emmy nominations, including for choreography, are announced Thursday 7/16 at 11:30 AM Eastern (not 8:30 like it used to be). Remember that any nominations the show gets are for Season 11.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. Jul 9, 2015 #2 of 61
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm not sure how I feel about the format this year, honestly. My least favorite choreographers are Nappy/Tabs (just don't care for their style) and Sonya (because it seems like she does difficult and uncomfortable choreography for no reason other than to push the dancers past their breaking point, not because it adds anything to the piece).

We'll see.

3. Jul 9, 2015 #3 of 61
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Presumably you meant you aren't allowed to come back as a contestant. They can bring you back as an All-Star.

4. Jul 9, 2015 #4 of 61
    tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    yeah .. they will definitely have to bring in new hip hop choreos. Every week for the first 5 can't just be NappyTabs, Dave Scott + 3.

On the stage side you've got Sonya, Mandy Moore, Stacey Tookey, Tastee Oreo + ? No Travis now, remember. Maybe Wade Robson will come back. He blows everyone else away.

5. Jul 9, 2015 #5 of 61
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...

Advertisements

I find Napoleon Dynamite to almost always have boring choreography. But there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of choreographers that can give them some great routines.

6. Jul 9, 2015 #6 of 61
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I've been surprised at how much trouble the street dancers have with choreography in their own genre. I can see having trouble with ballroom if you've never done any partner dancing or even heard a waltz, but just memorizing the order and timing of moves you've done a thousand times--doesn't seem like it should be that hard. I remember someone who was told that his whole dance was great but not in time with the music. Maybe that's more common than I think. :confused:

7. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Husband and I were just talking last night about how much we missed him and how his life seems to have lost/changed it's focus. It's all very sad- he was a very talented guy. I do hope he comes back to dance at some point- he was always our favorite choreographer.

8. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Do you dance, or have you done any other movement-based activity that required you to memorize and reproduce something in a very short time?

The street dancers don't have any training. They aren't being given moves that they've done "a thousand times". The choreographers are giving them stuff to do in a style which is foreign to them.

It looks hard because it is hard.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    well someone said it last year (or maybe even the year before that) - it may well have been Cearbhaill

but if I were a dancer in any style and I was going to audition for So You Think You Can Dance seriously - I would sure as hell train before going in...

if I were a hip hop dancer, I would go take some ballet, jazz and ballroom classes - if I anticipated that Sonya and Nappy Tabs were going to be audition choreographers, I would learn some of their choreography - - - or whatever else I thought they might throw at me

just like if I were going on Survivor I would learn how to make fire ;)

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think the timing is key. If they are just shown the routine and then they go practice for a few hours as is portrayed, then God help them unless they've done a lot of that. The accelerated pace of choreography on SYTYCD takes some getting used to.

11. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm not saying that picking up the choreography would be easy (and surely not that I could do it), but if you've never done it before, as others said, I'd think you would practice beforehand. It just seems with some of them that they think they're too good to have to learn something new. Or like they think that their awesome talent will carry them through it without preparation.

Which brings me to another question. If someone is about to be eliminated because they can't do choreography, why decide by having them "dance for their life" in their own genre which you know they are spectacular at? It would make more sense to have them try choreography again. :confused:

12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Probably because they want to justify keeping them... I think some people are kept because they are marketable and are "good for television"...

I agree with you... If you know you put them through in the first place in their genre...and then they face elimination for choreography...why have them earn their place back dancing in their own genre again...

You likely know that you are going to keep them (which happens most, but not all of the time)...

Maybe it's also to put the dancer "on notice" that they need to take the competition more seriously, and they see that they are capable of it...but just need a little motivation...

13. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I don't think the street dancers are too stuck up to learn something new. I think that like most people, they underestimate how difficult it is for most people to pick up choreography in a hurry.

Perhaps they think they'll be okay because they've learned moves from watching other street dancers, and all they have to do is chain the moves together.

And perhaps they could do that, if they were out on the street, but they aren't learning the moves on the street or in the spaces they're used to -- they're having to learn the moves on stage, in an hour, in the middle of a large group of other dancers, where it's probably difficult to see, and where they have to spend some of their mental energy making sure they don't run into other people.

Even if you went out and took classes to expose yourself to other styles, you still won't have the experience of the pressure-cooker atmosphere until you get there.

That's the funny thing about being tested. If you're good at something, you sail through the stuff that stops other people -- until, one day, you don't sail through, and you hit the wall.

Yes, maybe they could prepare more, but I know from my own test-taking experience that you won't know how you respond in the test environment until you're there. There are plenty of athletes who are fine in the practice and lousy in the big game and vice-versa.

It surprises me that people would audition *for more than one season* and not take classes in between the first and second times, but am I surprised at the bare fact that some people struggle with picking up the choreography? No.

14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    (Previous "spoiler" about the replacement dancer removed as it is public knowledge now)

Did I hear Cat correctly - they will be expecting the Street dancers to perform non-street routines? Somehow, I don't see many of them being able to handle ballroom, or broadway - and why do I have a feeling that at least one choreographer is going to be under the impression that all of the street men can do lifts? Being able to detect this was one of the reasons the choreography round existed in the city auditions in the first place. At least they have guaranteed that two street dancers will be in the final four (and what's probably more important: at least five street dancers will be on the tour - I say "at least" because while it's very rarely mentioned, and never announced (the only way to find out who is to watch the twitter feeds of the dancers not in the top 10, as usually they will say if they were selected for the tour), what usually happens is, they actually take 14 dancers on the tour, although only the top 10 do solos; there's also no guarantee that the extra four will include exactly two from Team Street).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Unless something significant changes in the next few weeks (which is always possible!) Gaby is the one to beat.

16. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    New stage?
    Looks just like last years.

17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    What they really need are new camera operators :mad:

18. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    That specialize in doing only full figure/head to toe shots.
    I'm with Fred Astaire on this one (film the dancers head to toe in takes as long and few as possible, without crosscutting or close-ups).

19. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'd prefer just one stationary camera at the judges table so we see the same view the judges see.

20. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I agree the camera work is atrocious.

One thing I did notice from the first live show is they have mixed down the screaming audience audio and pumped up the music. Which is SO much better if you ask me.