So You Think You Can Dance results show 8/2

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 39
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA

Advertisements

Watching the show right now.

Bottom four: Sara (boo) Lauren (expected) Neil (expected) and Dominic (expected)

Waiting for the musical guest to do their thing now.

Jan

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 39
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Whoa.

<FX: Tips cap to JoBeth66>

Let's see.

I was bored by most of the solos, as I have been for most of this season
    <does the Cat Deeley listen-for-the-audience-to-yell "except for Hok">. :p

Sara was fun. Pasha's paso doble was magnificent (awesome cape work). Sabra is easy on the eye. Otherwise, eh.

:up: to Nigel for the shout-out to St. Paul-Minneapolis.

Jan

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 39
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    OMG that paso doble was gorgeous. I sat there with my mouth open. Such incredible strength, bearing and control - his lines were beautiful. I watched it 4 times. :D

The rest of the solos? Eh. I'm with you.

I think our bottom 4 is going to come down to Danny, Pasha, Sabra and Lacey. Neil has just been too stiff (but I think based on Wednesday, he did NOT belong in the bottom 4, Danny should've had that spot).

Ultimately? I think of the dancers we have *left*, Sabra & Pasha should be the final 2, with Sabra walking away the winner. I'm afraid, however, that the fan base will vote Lacey ahead of Sabra, even though I think Sabra is so much more versatile.

Next week - I think we'll see Lauren & Neil go. I don't think Lauren is anywhere near on par with Lacey and Sabra. And I can't see Neil staying and Danny going. I think that battle is going to come down between Pasha & Danny, and Pasha is just going to outclass him.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 39
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I would have rather had Lauren go instead of Sara, but as neither of them are going to win I guess the order doesn't matter much. And I hated to see Dom go, but it was his time. He sure got some Cat hugs in, though.

Didn't Danny look smashing with the guyliner? :D

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 39
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

Advertisements

LOL...how red was Cat during the very last segmant? She already looked like she had over tanned during the show but then when Dom was all over her she really got red.

I agree with Nigel that a lot of this is going to come down to luck as far as who gets paired up with who and the routines they get. One wrong pick or dance could totally change things.

I do think Niel (he's too acrobatic for me) and Lauren need to go next.

Danny I just don't connect with and I do think he is very arrogant. Everytime I see him it looks as if he's dancing a solo and there just so happens to be a partner there with him.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 39
    quaz_the_panther

quaz_the_panther New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Ditto. This is what I'd hope would happen.... at the very least hopefully both Lauren and Neil go next week.

And yah... loved that pasa doble. I've been saving the recordings, so I can show my girls various dance style, but deleted last nights... I had forgotten about that one.

Tammy

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 39
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    After the crappy Paso Doble choreography we've had in the couple work this season (Queen, for crying out loud), they owed us a proper one.

I don't disagree, but that's been true of many of the dancers on the show this season. Has anyone seen the kind of chemistry this season that we saw with Donyelle and Benji or Natalie and Musa? Not counting Wade's butterfly-and-flower routine, of course.

Oh, me too -- Sara is much more watchable. And the order does matter, because now we have to put up with Lauren mugging for the camera for another week. :(

Jan

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 39
    veruca salt

veruca salt I want it NOW!!

Jun 30, 2007
    This question has nothing to do with the 8/2 show, but can someone explain Contemporary dance to me? (Murgatroyd???) I'm really being serious here. It seems like they are usually danced to ballad type songs. But, to me, the dance doesn't seem to go with the music. It seems as though the dancers are dancing to a song that is going on in their head. Usually what I see is running all over the stage with arms-a-flailing.

Can anyone help me appreaciate it for what it is?

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 39
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I don't have a good explanation, but just wanted to share with you that my wife asks me the same question each time there's a contemporary piece on the show. :)

10. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm no expert, but I think contemporary is more about the emotion behind the piece than it is about the technical aspects of dancing. We've heard the dancers with a ballroom backup say they have to unlearn everything they know to do the contemporary pieces. We also heard Nigel comment that they did so well last week because they forgot about technique and just... danced.

11. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    That's pretty much how I see it too! I don't get Contemporary at all.

I know nothing about dance. I started watching the show for the pretty girls and am just blown away by some of the routines.

Once it got down to the final 8, it is just too close to call for me (since I know nothing about dancing). I just know what I like when I see it.

To me, it was a toss-up between Lauren & Sara this week. Same for Neil & Dominic.

As for the rest, any of the others (after Lauren & Neil leave) could win it in my opinion.

12. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    My favorite girl is Lacey, but I concede she didn't do that well this week. My favorite dance of hers was many weeks ago (can't remember exactly which week), when she kept going limp in the middle of her dance. Her oscillations between dancing and going limp, somehow had me mesmerized.

13. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I can't help much -- contemporary is that big empty space on the border of my dance-map that says "here be dragons". :D

Seriously, I am ignorant. Every now and then I "get it" but mostly, I don't.

Take the audition rounds -- if I see Mia demonstrate a sequence of steps and then I watch the dancers doing it, I could tell you my thoughts about which dancers doing the same motions are doing it better, technically, and which ones are less good, and why.

I can see good line and which movements seem more 'purposeful' and have more dramatic tension in them, versus someone just 'going through the motions' (e.g. Nigel's comment 'you danced it like dance class students').

But if you ask me which pieces were better choreographed than others, when it comes to contemporary, I don't know enough yet. I could probably muster the kind of comment like "I really liked the place in the piece where XYZ happens" and point out why I found it satisfying, and talk about good use of the stage, and stuff, but as to what makes one piece speak to an audience and another fail, I don't know, I can only tell you what works or doesn't work for me.

Wade's piece for Jamie and Hok, the flower-and-hummingbird piece, speaks to me in a big way, so I could go on for pages about what I can see in it. That was more balletic and had much more structure than what the contemporary choreographers are doing. For Mia's stuff, and the other contemporary choreographers, I'm just too much of a dance newbie. I'm sure I'm missing 90% of what is going on.

P.S. to markz: there is nothing wrong with knowing nothing about dance and just enjoying what you like -- your experience of the piece is just as valuable as any other audience member's take on it.

Jan

14. hapdrastic

hapdrastic Swarley

Mar 31, 2006
    I just looked up Contemporary dance on wikipedia and it was...not helpful.

Myself I always just describe it as "falling down while they play music". I guess flapping your arms about helps, too.

15. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Contemporary dance usually just looks to me like someone is externalizing their angst.
    Occasionally I see something like the park bench thing that just reaches me, but mostly I don't get it.

16. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Contemporary for me is a style that has no gray area. I either hate it or I love it. Far more often, unfortunately, seems to be the "hate" part. :)

The park bench - gorgeous. The whole 'meeting my dead father'? Puzzling and confusing and I never would've gotten it without the backstory. Even with the back story, it did nothing for me. A couple of people jumping around in plastic flowers. Shrug.

17. veruca salt

veruca salt I want it NOW!!

Jun 30, 2007
    Whew!!! At least I don't feel like I'm alone in not understanding it!! Thanks everyone for your interpretation as well as validation that I'm not bonkers!

18. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    And I know just (barely) enough about dance to read the wikipedia article and have it make sense to me, but not enough to explain it to someone else.

I've seen Martha Graham's work, for example, and I've heard of Merce Cunningham, and I know a little bit about, or have heard of, a lot of the kinesthesiology methods and other stuff in their list (e.g. Pilates).

As I understand it, the wiki article says that the contemporary choreographers are taking the 'break-the-traditional-ballet-conventions' work of the modern dance people in the early 20th century, like Martha Graham, and pushing the envelope even further. They're exploring all kinds of movement.

When you have an art which is extremely free-form, and busting the conventions that have come before, the people who understand the previous art and who lived through the transition are going to understand what's going in a way that those of us who come along later can't. (Like the music of John Cage or Ornette Coleman, it's not going to be immediately accessible to a wide audience.)

But you can get some hints by the fact that so many of these dancers, in the show and in the audition rounds, turn to the behind-the-scenes camera and confess that Mia and the other contemporary choreographers are asking them to move in ways that they have never been asked to move before. Not just the ballroom dancers, but all the dancers, unless they have been trained in contemporary dance. I can see where it would be tremendously exciting to the dancers themselves -- like exporing a huge new world.

Jan

19. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I believe you are thinking of the piece to the song "Dancing" by Elisa from week 1. That was choreographed by Mia Michaels. *

I didn't like all of the choreography, but the part where Lacey flung herself at Kameron (what Nigel called 'the envelopement') was breathtaking. Fabulous performance.

* wikipedia has a nice list of who danced each week, with choreographers and music.

Jan

20. Roadblock

Roadblock New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I like Sabra and I liked Sara. I'm tired of Lacey. Sure, she's a good dancer, but she comes across as pretty phony to me, and she doesn't seem to care all that much about it. Kind of like Danny.