So you Think You Can Dance 8-8 Performance Show

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JoBeth66, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 30
    JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    So we're down to the top 6:

Pasha & Lacey:

Hip Hop (heh, ok 'basically she's a mannequin' - that's what I've been thinking! :D ) So, we have Pasha dancing & Lacey posing for 1/2 the song. He definitely outclassed her for this number. But she looked beter dressed than half-dressed.

Smooth Waltz Ok so we gave Lacey a challenge with Hip-Hop, and now we're doing a ballroom style, which they thought would be with her training - except she's never done ballroom. I see the chroeographer put some latin flair into it, I saw very little of the rise & fall there should've been (only a few of what I could consider "standard" waltz moves) and that lift over his back looked awkward. I still think the judges are going easy on her. Pasha was gorgeous.

Danny & Lauren:

Contemporary Seemed like a lot of running and not as much dancing. Again with the contemporary. The lines are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, though. And I can appreciate the technique and work that went into it, even if I don't necessarily "get" it. :) I did really enjoy the run across the stage and collapse, and you can tell how much strength that took. I think Lauren REALLY shone, here.

Disco Ok but not spectacular. They spent the whole time talking about the 'death drop' and going from one spin into another - and then they did it differently in the performance. Danny looked awkward on the lifts again, but at least he looked a little more like he was THERE with her. Not as strong as I would've liked.

Neil & Sabra

Jazz wow. I still don't see the "jazz" part of it, but it was great. I really feel like the choreographers are challenging the dancers, and the dancers are certainly rising to the occasion. I just love watching her, she's just incredible.

Paso Doble This is the routine I was waiting for. Please, Goddess, Tony give us a song that BELONGS with a Paso Doble!! (And there was are.) I would've liked to have seen her dance this wthe Pasha, though. She WAS doing the Lacey thing where she was making her faces, but wow. The lift at the end, with her grabbing her heels. The drop down his body. BEAUTIFUL. THAT was a performance. THIS was the performance of the night. (and the joke about being dropped by Dominic was funny as heck. :D ) Neil impressed the heck out of me, he just played his role perfectly.

Solos:

Sabra - I always forget how tiny she is, she just dances so big, and she has an amazing stage presence. She uses every inch of the floor. She just impresses me.

Pasha Um, completely let down on his. Wow. Really not what I think he should've been able to accomplish - he wasn't putting everything into it.

Lauren I enjoyed her solo tonight, she does look SO much better this week than she has the entire series, IMO.

Neil Still a lot of acrobatics, but he chose music & movement that worked for me, so I liked it. :)

LaceyShe's got one style. Try to be sexy. She's a one-trick pony. Unfortunately, it's a trick that many of the voters will probably buy.

Danny Danny is just beautiful, and I really think he's come into his own. Smiling at the camera during his solo - the changeup in his movement (not all classical), I'm still on the Danny bandwagon. :)

At the end of the day, I'm not sure who's leaving this week. I still believe that Sabra should walk away with the whole thing, I think she is the most well-rounded, talented, and versitile person on the show. Last week, I would've said this was it for Neil & Lauren...but I dunno, now. I still think Lauren's questionable, but Pasha might be on the rocks as well. As far as the guys? I don't know if this week was enough to save Neil, but I think all Pasha & Danny had problems this week.

This is going to be an interesting wait. :)

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 30
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    It's Lacey's time to go. Sabra is still my #1 none of the guys are better than her. Well maybe Neil.

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 30
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Quick note before sleepy-time...

The "negotiation" number was my favorite of the night. I guess I just like numbers that use props (like the "park bench" last season)... and the two of them danced it very well.

As a mannequin I didn't mind Lacey so much. But that's damning with faint praise if I ever heard it.

I like Pasha. He seems like the kind of guy you could hang out with.... chew the fat... watch a game... just hang with. But he's on not going to win it, and his solo proved it. :(

J

4. Aug 8, 2007 #4 of 30
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Lacey is totally over-rated. She's come this far because she's been riding Benjy's coattail.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #5 of 30
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Lacey and Danny should go. Danny in my opinion can only do solos. He has no charisma in comparison to Pasha and Neil. They just ooze likeability. Danny has been weaker across the board when it comes to the different styles. He is great in his own style and probably a nice guy but thats it.

Lacey has moments, I liked the mannequin routine and her crisp movements. In fact I liked her part of it better but she is nowhere as good as Sabra and frankly I just like Laurens smile better. And you guys are right she just comes off slutty each week. I wanted to like her but I give up.

Personally I can't figure what the big deal about Benji is! I think this year he would have been gone already.

I also think Nick from season 1 would still beat most of them.

I would love to see an all star edition with the top 4 from each year or something like that.

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6 of 30
    PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's time for Lacey to go. All her solo needed was a stripper pole. Compared to the other two girls, she is way out of her league. As for the guys, I like them all for different reasons. At this point I'll be happy with anybody but Lacey winning. Unfortunately I have a feeling she's going to be the one who wins.

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 30
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Ah, it's Wednesday night, the night I love to hate.

I work late on Wednesdays, and especially when the show is so short, I can't watch the show if I'm going to vote. But I hate voting when I haven't seen all the performances.

So, I cheated. I watched just long enough to see the Annie Lennox number with Sabra and Neil, and then I started voting for Sabra. Because she's my favorite girl, and there's no way to send a go-home signal to the other two.

The guys -- I dunno, Neil stepped up this week, so as far as I'm concerned, you can throw a blanket over them -- it's close, and there was no compelling reason this week for me to choose one over the other.

Note to zalusky: I submit, respectfully, that if you can, go back and watch the Mambo number choreographed by Alex da Silva, the one to the musical number "Black Mambo", and then come back and tell me what numbers in the show this year have been performed as well as Benji and Heidi did with that. There will not be many.

I, perversely, want the opposite of the all-star edition. I want the bottom group out of all three seasons, a second chance to see the people who got sent home early. Okay, the girls, not so much, but I want to see Ryan Conferido and Craig DeRosa from Season 1, Jason Williams and Musa Cooper from Season 2, and Ricky Palomino and Jimmy Arguello from Season 3. Bring back all the good dancers like Jason Williams who had no business being in the bottom three on the strength of their individual performances, but landed there because they had a weak partner, and give them another chance to show us what they could do with a different partner.

Now, for tonight's performances.

This brings me to something that I was about to bring up in the results thread from last week's show. Part of the reason I am glad I am not a judge is that I am too heavily influenced by the music that is used for a number. And it works both ways.

If it is one of my favorite songs, the dancers have a double-edged sword. If they screw it up, I will hate it, so I will judge them more harshly than I would with a more neutral song. And if they do right by it, I will love it.

If it is a song I can't stand, or a performer that I am not particularly fond of, the poor dancers will have to work extra hard to overcome the burden that the music has put on them. On the other hand, if they convince me that this music Isn't So Bad After All, I give them extra points.

What does this have to do with tonight? Well, I know Mia has choreographed for Celine Dion and all that, so it's no surprise that her music also turns up on the show. But for me, Celine Dion, eh. My mind wanders off.

I start thinking about how Caren Kadavy skated to a Celine Dion song back in such-and-such pro skating competition and how I liked her choreography way better than I do what I'm watching now. And what month is it, oh, yeah, August -- so pretty soon it will be October and time for Skate America... gee, I forgot who is assigned to Skate America ... so what music will Yu Na Kim be skating to this year, I wonder? ... and so on. You get the idea.

On the other hand, if you choreograph something to Annie Lennox, unless you really screw it up, you are going to get a resounding chorus of "Amen, sister!" from me when I hear Debbie Allen say "Now that's how I like it!"

Mandy Moore's number was much more to my taste. First off, there's Annie Lennox. Second of all, the table, so you get an interesting definition of space (as in Mia's park bench routine). And there's Sabra, so what's not to like? I also thought Neil danced much better in that number than he has before -- he has a tendency to get a little sloppy sometimes but in this number he seemed much more in control of things, like the plange Nigel pointed out. So this was my fave number of the night.

For Mia's number, I have an interesting theory, which is, you need to be in the theatre to appreciate it. Although I agree with Nigel that the stedicam work was fabulous, the show has a tendency to shoot the dancers WAY too tight all the time, and you really can't get a sense of the amount of stage coverage or speed. I know from watching figure skating that you don't get a good sense of the speed someone moves across the ice unless you have seen them in the rink. The judges are probably more impressed with the flow across the stage because they get the full impact, whereas I am watching on a TV the size of a small computer monitor at home.

Pasha and Lacey's hip hop routine by Dave Scott -- a fun confection to start the show, but is it memorable? Did it have the impact of (say) Benji and Travis' nerdy hip-hop from last season? No way.

For me, the Paso Doble choreographed by Tony Meredith suffered from the camera work. There was something about the way they framed the beginning of it that messed up my sense of the space on the stage. Of course I am tired so I was getting fried by then. It will be interesting to see how this looks on a second viewing.

The Smooth Waltz choreographed by Hunter Johnsion -- usually I like his choreography, but not too long ago I watched America's Ballroom Challenge and saw the US Smooth Waltz champions, so that couple is my standard for what a smooth waltz should be. And Lacey and Pasha, no matter how well they danced it, fall way short of that standard. Way short. The woman in particular has THE MOST AMAZING HANDS of any person doing a waltz that I have ever seen. So naturally my eye was drawn immediately to Lacey's hands, which were horrible. :p

I got the impression that while a lot of the movement was nicely done, the movement was too small, but I may have been thrown off by the camera work again.

What's left? Oh, yeah, Dorianna Sanchez' disco routine, which was hard -- and Danny and Lauren made it look hard. There were several places, especially the lift entrances, where the transitions were just not smooth, what I call 'the seams sticking out'. The effect is trick -- pause to adjust -- trick, rather than one smooth flow from one thing into another.

Once again I was seriously underwhelmed by the solos. They don't feel like solos to me. They feel like audition pieces. It is curious to me that I am often more impressed with the same moves in the audition pieces than I am in the performances on the show. Maybe the pieces are just not 'big' enough to fill up that big stage, and the moves work better in the more defined space of the proscenium theatres where they usually audition.

I don't know.

No predicitions for who is going home -- I have no idea.

Jan

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 30
    firerose818

firerose818 Now 65 pounds less! TCF Club

Jul 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought this too. It looked like they were concentrating too hard on making them work, and it took them out of the "moment."

I loved, loved, loved the boardroom routine. That and the vagabond routine with Sara and Jesus from the first episode are my favorites of the season. Hmm...maybe I just like jazz routines the best. Did Mandy Moore also do the Queen jazz routine with Pasha and Sara? I absolutely hated that one, so I'm glad it didn't ruin me on the rest of her work. :D

I also enjoyed the hip-hop mannequin routine. It was a fun way to start the show.

Going home predictions: Danny and Lauren.

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 30
    timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I couldn't understand why the judges went crazy over Lauren's dance, the one where they ran more than danced. It didn't see anything great about that one. But I was pretty impressed by the maniquin dance. Somehow Lacy seemed to capture how a manniquin would dance if it could. I agree with firerose's prediction.

Well yes, Lacy's solo was fairly slutty, but well done if sluttiness is your goal :p (especially the movements with her hips and legs). At least in her defense, if you listen to the judge's comments all season (especially Nigel's), they've been encouraging sluttiness in the routines.

10. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I do agree it was a great routine but I like to think of it more as an exhibition/demonstration rather than a competitive performance. The reason being is they had competed for years an were national swing champions. Also watching them on youtube sort of makes them ringers against everybody else. Its when you take Benji out of his style you see his limitations as Mia put it towards the very end.

11. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    'Body Language'? Yeah, that was Mandy.

Jan

12. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    So what are you saying, then?

They don't have a rule where, if you draw a style that is close to your own, you have to put it back and start over. Look at the amount of flippin' ballroom routines Anya drew this year before she went home. That's not the point -- the point is, what do you DO with the choreography once it is given to you.

I can understand how, if someone is dancing completely out of their style, a viewer or the judge might make allowances for that, but it doesn't seem right to me to take a dance that was smokin' hot and a great performance and treat it as a 'throw-out' simply because it was close to their own style. West Coast Swing and Mambo are VERY different ballroom styles, and Benji was not a Latin champ like Lacey is.

The show is for professional dancers, not amateurs, so the 'ringer' argument seems a little odd. Whatever the dance is, the dancers still have to show up and perform. There is no way that Benji and Heidi were coasting on technique like Danny is prone to do -- they tore into to that number.

Jan

13. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I am simply saying they (Heidi & Benji) have performed together as a team for years and know each other very well. Query them up on youtube. That is one reason the Mambo looked so good.

None of the other competitors had quite the same advantage. As a result I completely enjoyed (and would watch anytime) but discounted that performance from a competitive point of view.

14. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Why, oh why, is Lacey still on this show?

I would be thrilled to see her go. I can't pick a male to go, I like them pretty much equally.

Sabra is def the winner in my book. We'll see what happens. :)

15. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Because people like me keep voting for her. :cool:

16. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    /shakes fist at timckelley.

:p

17. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Yes. I distinctly heard Nigel say "stick your ass in the air like a cat in heat" to her several weeks ago. :p

18. bkmunroe

bkmunroe New Member

May 24, 2002
    Because Lacey is one of the best dancers on the show. She does a wide variety of dances nearly flawlessly.

I can understand how some people don't like her sexy image, but I don't see how you can criticize her overall dancing.

When I saw the manniquin dance and Lacey spent half the dance just posing, I thought, maybe, this was the one style of dance she couldn't do. But, once she got the chance she really nailed the dance.

19. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    It's like Neil who relies on his one gimmick move that he does every single frickin' week. Lacey is falling back again and again on sluttiness as a gimmick. She doesn't need it, and it turns off a portion of the audience.

20. timckelley

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    Exactly. She made me feel like she was still a mannequin while she was dancing. And it's not the same as robot dancing... it seemed more like a mannequin than a robot. The reason I think she did a good job, is because the way she moved didn't seem like somebody struggling to figure out how a mannequin would move if it could; she seemed to almost make me believe she was one.