So where's the TiVoToGo hack?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Laurence5905, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

Apr 20, 2007

Advertisements

Hasn't anyone yet figured out how to turn-on the TiVo2Go feature in these Series-3 boxes? I mean, we're paying for this feature, and the f*****g lawyers won't let us use it! Really ticks me off here...

The feature IS built-in to the box, it's just de-activated... Someone's got to know how to hack in there and turn it back on, right?

Anyone? Anyone?

2. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    You might be able to do it, if you know how to work with tiny surface mount electronic components and have the necessary tools and parts. Otherwise, you're SOL, which means you probably are.

Don't feel badly, I am too. Even if I wasn't, I wouldn't risk my expensive S3 trying to physically alter it.

Even if you do have those skills, I hope you're good at reverse engineering MIPS software, and I also hope that the TTG functionality is indeed compiled in.

3. cokyq

cokyq New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Dallas/Fort...
    The way I understand it, its not TIVO but CableCard Labs thats preventing TIVO from turning it on. But what about the people that are not using a cable card and are receiving OTA? Why can' TIVO come up with a method of detecting, if there are no cable cards, Tivotogo and external drive connectors should work!

4. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Too much corporate trouble for a niche set of users. You may have noticed that Tivo is still losing money, and really doesn't need to embark on a strategy to lose more, with no potential gain.

I think the fair thing to do is to give them some time to work it out. The TivoToGo hack is done, but is being held private (and likely will forever be) in deference to Tivo. If it can be worked out, fine, the service will be officially available to all Tivo users and all is well. If, at some point, the cable industry chooses to close the door, the hack will be publicly released and the Tivo s3 will become a dream machine. Of course at that point Tivo (Inc.) will already be dead and the precious program content will be irrevocably compromised. Like the allegory of the scorpion and the frog, all will have proceeded to its lose/lose end according to human nature.

Meanwhile, hacking on Vista continues, and thanks to the power of Microsoft this is the real future for TV viewers and the death (or reorganization beyond recognition) of current content-provider corporate structures.

5. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota

Advertisements

I got tired of waiting for Tivo to go and now have Windows Vista with Windows Media center on both my PC and laptop so I use my desktop to record HD stuff, and then I can watch it anywhere in the house via the LAN on my laptop, or move the file to the laptop and watch it. Although admittedly the file if recorded in HD is rather a large file to move. But it looks nice.

Ok and this comment does not relate to Tivo To Go but, since the Series 3 stuff can't be watched on another TiVo, I got a Sling Media Player so I can watch my Series 3 recordings on my Desktop or Laptop over the LAN as well.

Those are my work arounds to make up for the lack of features of the S3.

If S3 had multiroom viewing I would have spend additional money with TiVo to get another S3. I personally see no point in purchasing another Series 3 from them if recordings can't be switched back and forth and viewed from the other Series 3.

6. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Well put.
    :up:
    +1

Hey, has anyone seen a dead horse to flog?

Ps. I found a picture of this but for obvious reasons will not link it. :eek: :D

7. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Why should anyone need to physically alter it?

It's just a computer---if the system's hardware is capable of doing it, then the only change necessary should just be in software. A person could even swap out the hard drive so that if they messed anything up, they'd be able to just put the original hard drive back in without any problems...

8. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    The special offer of $499 gets close to the point where I'd buy a second S3, record everything twice and forget MRV. :thumbsdown: Something like $399. MRV is worth something like $150 to me.

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Because of the way security is set up on the system, it's necessary to sign the files that the device boots with otherwise it'll try to repair them with the original files. The only way around this is replacing the PROM, disabling that process. Otherwise you need the key TiVo uses to sign the files in order for any change you make in them to be usable.

10. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    Isn't that in the ballpark of what they were originally charging for HMO, before they decided to make it free?

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    If TiVo can do it in software (that is, theoretically release a SW patch enabling TTG, MRV or even eSATA), then others can do it, too.

Tough? Sure. Has it been done? Who knows?

12. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    Yeah, if you have TiVo's signing key. I suppose it's possible there's a switch in MFS somewhere, but I doubt it.

You seem not to understand the boot sequence which Series 2 and Series 3 machines go through. The only reason the 140 and 240 S2s are software hackable is because there are TiVo signed kernels that have security flaws in them that allow one to chainload into a new unsigned kernel in the middle of the boot process. Those kernels will not run on the newer machines, and thus cannot be used to to the same effect. The newer TiVo kernels appear not to have any flaws of that sort, so the only way to defeat the security is to physically replace the boot PROM on the system board that checks the kernel's signature and refuses to boot if that check fails.

Later on in the boot process, the kernel (through what is called an initrd, or initial RAM disk) checks the contents of the hard disk to make sure they have not been altered and replaces or deletes the altered files. That's why the S2 and S3 take so stupidly long to boot up. The S1 didn't have those checks, and booted like greased lightning as a result.

TiVo can do it in software because they have the private key used to sign the kernel. We don't. Unless you're a mighty fine cryptographer, as in better than the thousands of professional cryptographers that have been trying to break these algorithms for many years, you're out of luck without some other weakness in the structure. There apparently isn't one.

13. TroyB

TroyB New Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    The S3 can be and has been hacked. You can google "PROM HACK" and will find information about it. It seems very complicated to do and not for just anybody.

It involves desoldering the PROM chip, reprograming it and soldering it back onto the motherboard. One oops and you have a $800 paperweight.

14. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    The S3 has been hacked to run 3rd party software through a PROM mod, yes, but nobody has yet to (publically) modify the tivoapp to enable TTG and MRV. The PROM mod is the easy part, as modifying the PROM to not do the signature check is trivial. The socketing is much harder for most people.

15. Thunderclap

Thunderclap Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Chicago area
    So Tivo2Go isn't available on the Series3 units. I never copy recordings from Tivo to my computer but do from the computer to Tivo. Is this still possible or, as I presume, this is a function of Tivo2Go and can't be done?

16. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Streaming video from your PC to Tivo is part of TivoDesktop 2.5. The regular version is free. The "plus" version is for sale. Not sure which one you need (I only stream MP3s currently), but they are both available on Tivo.com.

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That isn't even possible with an S3 yet.

18. ldudek

ldudek New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Hi everyone. Newbie here. I have a Series 3 and I would love to get a TiVo HD but I won't buy one until MRV comes around. That's what is really important to me. The eSATA gives me plenty of storage but I want the ability to avoid all conflicts and the TiVo HD would be perfect for that.

Didn't they promise that sometime in the fall last year?

Oh and sorry for taking it off subject I kind of consider Tivo To Go, MRV, TiVo to Come Back all part of the same type of deal.

19. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Tivo has said that they are working on it, wasn't there a press release that said they would have it by the end of the year?

20. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006