so, now that i have re-caked my drives...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by smarsh66, Oct 22, 2006.

1. smarsh66

smarsh66 New Member

Apr 17, 2004

Advertisements

I re-caked my drives to 3.15 again (see thread below) with a new primary drive to get rid of a seriously failing WD-POS drive....

So.... how long before i get the 6.3a download again? any ideas?

I'm assuming the download will come via satellite again at SOME point and then forcing a call will allow me the install.... i would assume that the first call i make in after the software is downloaded?

keep in mind i already got the 6.3a once (before i nuked the drives).

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It should happen within a day. Try forcing the "Daily Call" tomorrow and see if you've got it.

3. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    It may not come down via the satellite as it has already been sent. It may need to download the update via the phone call. In that case, the phone call will probably take 1.5 to 2 hours or so.

4. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    i did the same thing. Two days after going back up on 3.15f (Instant Cake), got the pending restart and 6.3a. This time I did a C&D on 6.3 to start clean as I have little confidence in the upgrade.

So far, it's been 4 days on 6.3a with no problems.

5. tiggermanh

tiggermanh to be like Earl

Dec 14, 2004
    Dayton Ohio

Advertisements

Have any of you put 3.1.5f back on and enabled networking, then let the 6.3a upgrade take place, then remove the drive and restore networking?

6. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    It's much easier to perform the upgrade using the new version of the slicer. That way, as long as you change the IP address to a static one before you let the box re-boot, networking still works after the boot is performed.

7. TomF

TomF TiVo: 1999; HD: 2001

Apr 13, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    It was stated here somewhere, by Earl I think, that the update gets downloaded from the satellite. Once downloaded, it just sits on the hard drive. It doesn't get installed until a daily phone call gives the box the authorization to update. So it won't take any phone time to download.

When mine got upgraded, I made a daily call shortly after I got up because my System Information showed that I still had 3.1f. After the phone call finished a few minutes later, either my System Info or my Phone Settings showed Restart Pending. My guess is that it got downloaded from the sat during the night. My previous call showed as the previous morning, which I also did manually. I pulled the plug and restarted it and it came up and installed 6.3a. There was a message displayed saying something like it would take an hour, but mine was done in 20 minutes and that's with 42 SPMs, 3 pages of WLs and probably at least 10 hours or recordings in the To Do List.

Of course I totally regret that I now have 6.3a with it's rebooting, audio dropouts, instability, and general flakiness. I may have to hack it to get it back to 3.1f. If you watch or record OTA, then it is totally not worth the update.

8. smarsh66

smarsh66 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    6.3a was installed last night.... downloaded again via Sat within 2 days of re-caking with 3.15...

working awesome.

Sam

9. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    In normal operation, the slices for the upgrade are downloaded via the satellite. However, they only download the slices during a small window of time. If you Instantcake your TiVo, it probably does not have the slices in the image. So if you are past the window when the slices are being downloaded (the satellites do not have a lot of bandwidth to spare), then they are downloaded via the phone call.