So it seems

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by TCM2007, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 4, 2011 #1 of 32
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Discussion of putting expanded disks in a VM TiVo is verboten.

Talking of expansion has always been allowed here.

Would a mod care to make the change of policy explicit, and perhaps explain it?

MOD EDIT: As the thread is well established I'll edit the opening post. The original thread was removed at the authors request only!

2. Jun 4, 2011 #2 of 32
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Perhaps because, unlike Sky+ boxes, our S1s and Tivos in the US (and every other DVR on the market) we don't own our Tivos and therefore they believe that they should not be encouraging the practise of breaking the T&C of our contracts.

3. Jun 4, 2011 #3 of 32
    pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    You're missing the short lived Comcast TiVo.

4. Jun 4, 2011 #4 of 32
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Only possibly because we're in the UK and not the US and so I don't know every little detail on Tivo's boxes in the US ;)

5. Jun 4, 2011 #5 of 32
    VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Actually, beeswax requested the thread be removed, so it was.

Nothing stopping him opening another one.

6. Jun 4, 2011 #6 of 32
    pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    Yet there is a subforum titled "[URL="http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=62]HD Comcast TiVo DVR[/URL]" on TCF that you would have noticed one time on another.

7. Jun 4, 2011 #7 of 32
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    As I have no reason to visit the US forums then no, I can't say I have noticed :)

8. Jun 4, 2011 #8 of 32
    TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Where in the T&C does it say you can't fit a larger drive? Please quote the line.

If you took the disk out and sold it, clearly that would be wrong, but taking it to bits isn't in and of itself wrong just because it's rented. So long as you put it back together in working order when you have to return it then no harm no foul. VM don't offer a 2TB option so you can't claim you're depriving them of revenue.

You could argue you're saving wear and tear on the original drive and doing VM a favour!

9. Jun 4, 2011 #9 of 32
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Oh come on, Stuart. I assumed you actually had some common sense/morals/decency. Call it what you want.

If something is not yours you don't touch it other than to use it for what it is supposed to be for.

10. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It's a PVR, "morals" and " decency" are over stating thing just a tad don't you think?

If I'd paid £150 separate from the rental for something I didn't own (run that one past me again?) I wouldn't have any moral problem with taking the lid off it. If I broke it I'd owe them, but no law would have been broken.

You forgot to quote the line of T&C you keep saying this would break, just a reminder...?

11. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    So if the t+c's say you can't connect to the service if you modify the device ( as in S1 contracts), that's a lesser breaking of the t+c's than opening a rented box ?

It's all technically breaking t+c's

Although VM don't appear to have a specific clause banning it, just a rather bizarre "don't remove a label"

As far as "morals" - well that begins with service theft I.e getting channels for free

12. beeswax

beeswax New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, I requested the thread be deleted (although I stated I would prefer it just be cleaned up but I guess the mods couldn't be bothered with that option) as it had gone the way that this one appears to be going! Seeing as one particular member here will probably just derail any new threads as well, I pretty much can't be bothered.

13. beeswax

beeswax New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Taxi!

14. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    ^ Is that supposed to be funny or and insult or something? I never did get it.

Also, seeing as how the only reason you registered was to discuss something that you did not know you couldn't (or shouldn't maybe) do, and now you do know, what would the point in another thread be?

15. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    When it's all done, please at least make a thread with your final post on it all with photos and such.

16. beeswax

beeswax New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    And therein lies the whole problem Carl, I am fully aware that it's something that maybe shouldn't be done but decided that I'm going to do it anyway, you seem unable to comprehend this. I posted here because I assumed we could have an open and free discussion on the technicalities and results of the process regardless of VM's stance on the issue.

All you had to do in the original thread was point out that VM's Ts&Cs might be broken if I proceeded and that I should be prepared for the consequences if I do go ahead. I'm willing to accept the risk (so long as no labels have to be broken/removed).

You seem unable to accept that someone might do something even if you say they shouldn't. As much as I think you would like it, you have no control over what I do or don't do. The most you can do is post advice but be a champ and just post it once in future would you? Also, try to get used to the idea that not all people will heed your advice all the time; you aren't as important as you seem to think you are.

17. beeswax

beeswax New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Hi Phil, yes I will let you know how I get on. I didn't want to start a new thread too soon before I get to actually do it as it would probably get filled with garbage.

18. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    As already quoted by the original author - the thread was removed at the originators request and not due to its originally planned content.

I've edited the opening post to clearify this to new readers.

19. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sorry to jump to the wrong conclusion OzSat.

20. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    However, if the T&C section for VM it says (with some bits highlighted by me):

D Using the services

1: You are responsible for the way the services are used. You must not use the services to do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to use the services to do the following acts:
    g. Copy, distribute, attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse-engineer, modify, sub-license, or use for any other purposes any software or equipment we and/or Virgin Media Entertainment provide

I'm personally not prepared to discuss the mater further - just pointing out my observations. Its your risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.