So it looks like the $299 - 180-hour TiVo® HD DVR is out now.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by markjrenna, Jul 24, 2007.

1. markjrenna

markjrenna Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    So it looks like the $299 - 180-hour TiVo® HD DVR is out now.

2. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    So is MSD on bundles. ;)

But eSata, MRV/TTG :thumbsdown:

3. markjrenna

markjrenna Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Do I need Cable Cards for it to work? Can someone explain it to me? Thanks

4. mikebridge

mikebridge Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL
    you wouldn't get any encrypted/premium channels w/o cable cards, but it could record your basic cable -- maybe some 'basic' HD channels, depending if your provider leaves them in the clear, or encrypts them w/ the rest of their digital content. and you could hook up an antenna to the ATSC tuner to get over the air HD broadcasts.

5. pascuzzo

pascuzzo New Member

Sep 28, 2006
    So us satellite users are still screwed.
    It's not like we were asking for Tivo Desktop Vista edition.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A reliable source tells me that a Vista capable version of TD will be out very soon.

A satellite capable S3 will NEVER happen! Unless of course either Dish or DirecTV strikes a deal with TiVo and allows them to build a unit that's compatible with their service. TiVo is able to build S3 units for cable because a few years back the FCC stepped in and forced cable companies to adopt an open encryption technology called CableCARD. This technology allowes 3rd parties, like TiVo, to build their own hardware that works with all cable systems without the need to strike a special deal with a specific provider and license their encryption technology. The FCC has not imposed such a standard on satellite yet, so their encryption systems are proprietary and as such no one can build boxes that work with their service without their permission.

Dan

7. Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal Member

May 31, 2002
    Is eSATA only on the highest-end S3? Is there at least an eSATA port on the TiVo HD which can be activated through a backdoor?

8. sammydee

sammydee New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    In almost all ways it's exactly the same as the Series 3 ... you need Cable Cards in the same cases as for the S3.

The Tivo Store is up and running, just ordered mine. They quote 14 to 21 day delivery. Can't wait! I always wanted an S3, but could never justify the $$.

9. sammydee

sammydee New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    There's an ESATA port. Whether the backdoor works ... who knows?

All I know is that I've already got email from DVRUpgrade about it ... here's their data sheet showing the front and back panel layouts.

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/datasheets/TiVoHD-spec-sheet.pdf

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Did the original Series 3 have the card slots in the front, or in the back? (I never even checked. Having them in the front seems like a pretty good move, if it's a change.)

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    They are in the back, one on top of the other. The THD has them side by side in the front.

12. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
  13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    See, this is great. I am in no rush to go HD. I just bought a S2DT in the clear for $75. I will be happy with that at least until 2009 (I have just basic cable). At that point I will have options galore. S3, HDT, ComcasTiVo, etc.

I am just happy that there is now an HD Box listing for under $300. This is very good news for TiVo all around. I think they will sell a lot of these new boxes, especially come holiday time.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Not you are not. The Series 2 still works with satellite.

The MO of the Series 3 is that satellite can't work with it.

15. StuffOfInterest

StuffOfInterest New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    McLean,...
    Hmm, the back panel breakout tells a big story.

First, and foremost, you'll have to use CableCard (CC) for HD input as there is no HDMI or Composite input (with box IR control) at all. This also explains why satellite service will not work being that you would have to control the sat box with IR. I can live with that as it removes the need for a separate cable box but it does mean you are committed to using the TiVo as your sole tuner in front of the TV. Might as well buy one of the tunerless monitors unless you want to spring for yet another cable card.

Now, for my complaint on technology integration. Why didn't they dump the modem interface for an external USB modem and replace it the internal hardware with an onboard Wireless-G adapter? I'm willing to bet that there are more HD capable people out there with a wireless network than without. A larger community could be served out the box with wireless networking than with a built-in modem. Maybe we'll see this in the Series4?

16. jblake

jblake New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    You could use OTA HD (ATSC) or theoretically OpenQAM (but that still usually requires a cable card for channel mapping)

There are no consumer devices that can record raw HD from HDMI (the whole point of HDMI is that it's copy protected) or from component (the processing power required would cost more than your PC)

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It maybe worse than you think according to Megazone's Review the only wireless network adapter that will work is TiVo's.

Thanks,

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    this has been gone over in detail here. It is one thing to record the digital stream to the drive; it is quite another thing to take the display output of HD and reencode it to put on the drive. Very expensive chips for this.
    the modem is probably a very cheap chip by now. Wireless on the TiVo is somewhat different in that they need to keep the SUB work off the CPU where as for USB adapters on PCs they can use that powerful CPU. So the Tivo adpater costs 50$ becasue of the good chips in it to do the USB work normally not on a USB adapter. Adding the wireless to the TiVo box would bump the final cost up quite a bit. Since it is as easy as plug the wire into the USB port nd then be able to move the adapter around for best reception, integration of such just does not make sense

19. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    What? The Samsung TV box doesn't work? :D