So I was watching an old episode of Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Warren, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    So I was watching an old episode of Seinfeld called "The Outing"

Jerry, George and Elaine sitting at the booth. Jerry and George have their back to a woman sitting on the other side.

Jerry gets up and goes to make a phone call. As he comes to sit down he comments loudly how the Woman from NYU is going to meet him there but she hasn't shown up yet.

Elaine notices that the woman behind Jerry and George is ease dropping on what they are talking about

Elaine then starts talking about how jerry and George are gay..(not that theres anything wrong with that :D )

the lady ease dropping turns out to be the NYU reporter.

So how come She can here them talking about being gay but didn't here Jerry say that he was waiting for the lady from NYU :rolleyes:

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
  3. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Is "ease dropping" when someone is talking so loudly that it is easy to eavesdrop on them? ;)

Did he say that he was meeting a woman from NYU to do her on the table, or did he say he was just meeting there? If the former, then that would hint that he's not gay, but if he didn't say why he was meeting her, it doesn't really preculde him from being gay at all (NTTAWWT).

4. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    The best part is at the end when Kramer has that dude in his apartment :D

5. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Who said she didn't hear him and eavesdrop anyway?

6. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Yeah but I think what Warren is getting at is, if she heard him say he was waiting for her why didn't she jump up and introduce herself? Why would she continue to just sit there and eavesdrop?

7. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Because she's a woman?

/runs

8. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    hehehe... this was on the other night.

Wasn't she leaning towards her table when Jerry mentioned he was meeting her? It wasn't until she was sitting straight up that she was eavesdropping.

9. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Because that's what she wanted to do.

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I just saw what might be my favorite episode: "The Hamptons". I didn't realize how many different "skits" were in this episode:

George's girlfriend goes topless while George is not there and everybody gets to see her
    George says to make it fair he needs to see Jerry's girlfriend naked and tries to walk in on her
    She ends up walking in on him and we get the "shrinkage" storyline
    Then there is the ugly baby they are suppose to visit
    The doctor says Elaine is Breathtaking but then says the same about the baby
    Kramer finds lobsters and has a huge lobster fest
    Jerry's girlfriend is Kosher and won't eat the lobsters
    Jerry's girlfriend tells George's girlfriend (or so he thinks) about the shrinkage and she leaves
    George get's up and cooks breakfast and doesn't tell anybody that he put lobsters in the eggs and Jerry's GF eats them.
    Kramer gets arrested for lobster poaching.

This episode was fantastic from start to finish.

11. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    Because she could get more info from eavesdropping than by introducing herself.

However, since he was a celebrity (so she knew what he looked like), why didn't she see him right away and introduce herself?

12. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Yeah, but the point is, she must not have known who he was and she must have not heard him say he was waiting for her. If she had then she wouldn't have been totally surprised when she later met him at his apartment.

Warren's question was how could she have missed his loud announcement, yet have no problem eavesdropping.

Personally I don't remember him saying it all that loudly. I'll have to dig out that episode and check it out. Because you know, this is a very important topic and we must get to the bottom of it! :p

13. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Also Kramer "saving" Jerry's girlfriend from herself in the middle of the night from eating the lobster.

Great episode! :up:

14. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    I was at an local place talking to some dudes and there was a lady in there wearing like a binki top that showed most of her breast. After she left the guy said something about her being ugly. i told him that I had no idea what she looked like. then I thought of "The Hamptons" episode.

George: Well, how good a look did you get?
    Jerry: What do you mean?
    George: Well, if she was a criminal and you had to describe her to a police-sketch artistÂ…
    Jerry: They'd pick her up in about ten minutes.

:D

15. GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    OK, I just watched this episode. At the time of Jerry's announcement (and it was rather loud), she was ordering or otherwise talking with the waitress. So, it is conceivable that she was distracted and didn't hear his statement.

16. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    They're real, and they're spectacular.

17. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    Because it would make for a very short episode.

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    :up: 'The Hamptons' is one of my two all time fav episodes ('The Contest' being the other, of course). This episodes has so many great mini-storylines and just plain great lines (Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things!).