SO how many Tivo folks going to buy the new tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by melissa12345, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1 of 26
    melissa12345

melissa12345 New Member

Sep 9, 2007

Advertisements

hi

I am on the fence about buying the new tivo,we been waiting to see what the new one is all about,,,but now i am wondering if i should just buy another Tivo HD instead. Really not sure i want to wait until first part of april.....

2. Mar 5, 2010 #2 of 26
    refried

refried Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Brunswick, ME
    I probably won't at this point, but 50% off lifetime is very tempting. I don't think I could justify $500 to my wife when we have two perfectly working TiVos.

3. Mar 5, 2010 #3 of 26
    Mark95841

Mark95841 New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Selling one of my camera lenses right now so I can get the new Premier next month. I have the HD, replaced the hard drive but it is still rebooting and messing up so I am looking forward to the Premier with a 3 yr warranty.

4. Mar 5, 2010 #4 of 26
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  5. Mar 5, 2010 #5 of 26
    nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area

Advertisements

I'd love to, but can't justify another lifetime sub. If I could transfer my current lifetime from my S2DT (for a reasonable fee like $99), I'd do it. I think I'll wait until it's been out a while and prices come down. It might be cheaper in the long run to pay less for the unit and more for the sub. Plus, TiVo's always running upgrade specials.

6. Mar 5, 2010 #6 of 26
    shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio shaun

Jun 20, 2003
    zanesville,...
    i am going to purchase it you can upgrade for current customers for 100 off on tivos webpage, i want to get ride of the cable dvr, only the premier takes once cable card for the dual tuner, it takes the m card dont know if this makes the on demand work or not.

7. Mar 5, 2010 #7 of 26
    TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Have a child as it's a good reason to move one of your existing boxes :D 3 of my Tivo's are in the kids rooms!! Now my dillemma is to upgrade their ratty Series 2 non-lifetime units to either Tivo HD units at welfare pricing or get 3 Premiere units with Lifetime and move the existing 3 Series 3 units into their rooms.... My ultimate goal is to get them all on HD units with Lifetime, so they can take them with them, when they become of age.

8. Mar 5, 2010 #8 of 26
    Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    I just got an e-mail from Weaknees.com, they are taking pre-orders for the new Tivo. They have 2 discount coupons, $10 and $25.

9. Mar 5, 2010 #9 of 26
    melissa12345

melissa12345 New Member

Sep 9, 2007
  10. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    If you are going to buy a new TiVo it would make sense to get the Premiere unless you absolutely have to have one before they are available.

11. skelm

skelm mooo

Aug 23, 2001
    NC
    i won't - Its crap

12. jmatero

jmatero Member

Apr 8, 2003
    I have a Series3... this new unit doesn't really offer anything for me.

13. holmete

holmete Gadget Guru

Aug 28, 2007
    Oakland Ca.
    Not me... They completely missed the mark... The best thing is the new UI other than that it's nothing special. How could a company, "That invented the DVR" take so long to create something so below basic. Toady and future standers are simple. More storage (1 TB plus), multiple tuners (4 or more), built in wifi, HD resolution menus, better integration with on demand (netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Web, etc.) media, better subscription prices and a reasonably fast way to transfer shows... There would be a lot more happy Tivo customers had those simple things been included.

14. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    No I'm not. I'm going to Windows Media Center with as many tuners as I can. In 2010 two tuners is simply embarrassing for a high end product.

15. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I may get one and move my original S3 the the bedroom and retire my old S2 in there. Having a full HD UI would be nice, and I'm interested in what the possible Flash apps will be.

16. net114

net114 Tivolitic Guru

Dec 29, 2000
    florida
    Not me right now. Heck, it's the new flash UI that bothers me. Now, had they based it on Linux/Android or something, think about all the news they would be getting right now. Flash? Meh.

17. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Uh...Tivo has been Linux based for years...

18. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    Yeah it's been Linux from day 1. Besides Linux has nothing to do with Flash. Flash is cross platform.

19. scummybear

scummybear where as

Mar 3, 2010
    Pennsauken, NJ
    Well, I just pre-ordered mine today. I decided to take my TiVo HD I just bought last week because it was on sale back because the HDMI port was acting up. And instead of just exchanging it, I figured I mine as well just order the Premiere. I have read a lot of peoples comments on here and came to the conclusion that it may not have too many new features atm, but in time I think that some cool flash apps might come out and what have ya. I am new to TiVo though, so I can't say much about the company or it's products yet. But I am hoping (fingers crossed) to see some development after release to make everyone who purchased one happy.

So I will be back on to post on the "I just received my TiVo Premiere, what do you think" thread that will undoubtedly be started. =)

20. comgenius1

comgenius1 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    I'll be looking to replace one of my Series 2's in the next couple of months so that I can record HD. Whether I go for the premier XL or the HD XL, I havent decided. the dual core in the premiere XL makes it more tempting, and I have a feeling i'd be shooting myself in the foot for future upgrades if I go with the HD XL, so i'll probably end up getting the premiere XL. Its still a couple months away and i'll probably wait and see what others say after they get theirs.