So here's a weird one -- my Tivo HD works great now, but my other TV gets nothing!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by AGBulls, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1 of 10
    AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Well, after many days of frustration with Comcast Chicago and an estimated 20+ phone calls, I finally finally have my Tivo HD working great. I think my wife is even more relieved than I am -- since I'll finally stop messing with it and talking about it.

However, when we went into the bedroom last night to turn on the normal TV, which has a digital box, all the channels were black. At first, I wanted to just call Comcast and tell them to send a "hit" to activate my box -- as something clearly hapepend with my cable cards getting hit so many times.

But, this sounds like a very dangerous idea in that I'm totally afraid it's going to kill my Tivo cablecards from working. In fact, I'm afraid to have them do anything at this point since the Tivo is finally doing what it should.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do or to ask Comcast? Or, is there some kind of safety procedure I can take with my Tivo to ensure it doesn't get hit by a signal that would mess up my cards? If something happens to the box again, I know we're going to go crazy. I thought about unplugging the Tivo and then asking for Comcast to hit my digital box, but that sounds dangerous as it would likely unpair or reset the cablecards. At least, I think it might.

:confused:

2. Aug 9, 2007 #2 of 10
    bigusmfan

bigusmfan New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Try unplugging the cable from your HD and calling the cable co. to try a rehit.

3. Aug 9, 2007 #3 of 10
    AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Isn't that going to make me lose the connection to my cable cards when I reconnect the cable after the hit is sent?

4. Aug 9, 2007 #4 of 10
    mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    AgBulls, through all of the hits to my cable cards from Comcast, I lost premium packages on one of our cable company supplied digital boxes (not on both strangely enough).

As was suggested, a hit from the cable company to the affected box should do the trick.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #5 of 10
    AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Mike, isn't this going to mess up my now working Tivo HD? I'm extremely afraid of running into the cable card problem all over again.

I just want to be sure -- you had this same problem and you had the cable comp "hit" your digital box and it didn't negatively affect your Tivo?

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6 of 10
    AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone have a definitive answer to my question? Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated :)

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7 of 10
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I'd pull the cable from the cable box and plug it into your tv and see if you are still getting a good signal. I'd think you would get a not authorized message if it needed a hit, a blank screen sounds like a poor signal to me.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8 of 10
    mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    AGBulls,
    They fixed my digital box before they fixed my TivoHD cable cards, so I can't assure you of anything like that. Accroding to the Comcast CSR, they send hits to individual pieces of equipment, so it shouldn't affect your cable cards, but who knows what the Cocmast CSR will actually do.

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9 of 10
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Hpw old is the box in bedroom? It could have have gone bad.

ajwees41

10. AGBulls

AGBulls New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Good news, they sent it to just that box -- and everything works great. the trick?

Patience. Lots of patience.