So happy to be back with TIVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mishafp, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Sep 3, 2019 #1 of 13
    mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006

Advertisements

For the last 7 months, I've lived in a building with no providers that work with TIVO. I finally got back to TIVO today, and it is just night and day better than non-TIVO DVRs. I know we all have this or that issue with TIVO from time to time, but it is really a great product/service.

cwerdna, unclehonkey, mattack and 4 others like this.
  2. Sep 3, 2019 #2 of 13
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Spartans! One of our warriors presumed lost..Has returned to us ! All hail the returned, all hail the stuffed Tivo guy. Welcome back warrior !
    upload_2019-9-3_19-39-45.jpeg

cwerdna, TheBar1, krkaufman and 3 others like this.
  3. Sep 4, 2019 #3 of 13
    MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I agree 100 percent.. we all have an issue now and then but overall a much better experience.. not to mention the savings we have from the obscene rental fees from our cable providers

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  4. Sep 4, 2019 #4 of 13
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I returned to TiVo after a 13 month experiment with L3TV/T-Vision. PQ was outstanding and theirs offers a HDD for storage BUT they're struggling it seems a bit more than I'd like to suffer through. It's been 45 or so days back to Xfinity and TiVo - it seems very good to be back!

OP - Your CableCARD experience was interesting!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Sep 4, 2019 #5 of 13
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

"You don't know what you've got til it's gone". Applies to anyone who has experienced "the best" others have to offer.

6. Sep 4, 2019 #6 of 13
    tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Oh....oh... Someone's been in the TiVo Kool-Aid again.

7. Sep 4, 2019 #7 of 13
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I wouldn't want to be without my Tivos. I keep fearing that my cable provider might do something to invalidate the CableCARDs, thereby rendering my Tivos dead.

cwerdna, PSU_Sudzi and JKR123 like this.
  8. Sep 4, 2019 #8 of 13
    tenthplanet

Mar 5, 2004
    I had hopes that L3 would work out but i think T-mobile is out of it's depth this time. I use a Tivo Bolt in an OTA mode and I got in on the ground floor of a couple of vmpds services and experimented with some. Every service and their cloud dvr's are all beta services (even if they don't say that). Don't fall for the everything is on VOD lie either. Cable cards and physical DVR's are a mature technology and being able to access your programs without having to depend on the internet is a big plus. For most people who just want to watch what they want, when they want a Tivo with OTA or cable is a sound choice. :)

9. Sep 5, 2019 #9 of 13
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I regret NOT my attempt and I would think 'time' will be good to them. I needed to either 'sell off' all of the TiVo hardware and commit or maybe use TiVo and Xfinity until 'EOL'. I was able to make a reasonable Xfinity deal and I believe that in my 'service area' CableCard will be here for quite some time. OTA isn't an option for me.

The 'Speculation/WAG' and much of the other info here/TCF has become 'Entertainment' - If some/many would 'STFU' and just advise people to check 'local' before doing a thing. I buy 'LOCAL' before anything else and investigated the L3TV before I made the move.

There are circumstances where I'd think T-Vision/L3TV could be a 'very good' choice still.

10. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I remember when i left directv where i had their tivo dvr and switched to verizon fios.I tried verizons dvr and that only lasted 1 day as the dvr failed to record some programs my wife wanted to watch,the very next day we went to best buy and bought 2 tivo premiers and have continued with tivo ever since and i am now looking forward to getting the new tivo edge to use in the living room! p.s. the 1st tivo we had were the with directv back around the year 2000.

11. tenthplanet

Mar 5, 2004
    I agree in that they could fix the problems with T-vision, it will help if they can bundle a high speed internet in at a good price. We'll see.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  12. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I switched from TiVo to DirecTV's Genie back when there was no HD TiVo solution for DirecTV...

I actually found the DirecTV Genie UI very usable, and very similar to TiVo (without the neat animation and cartoon like colors)... TiVo was definitely a more whimsical user experience...but Genie was very usable...

Since dropping DirecTV, I am back with TiVo, and I do love it...

Note: I have NOT switched to the new Bolt UI... I am still on the old UI...

13. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i explored my sister's genie when i visited a few months ago, was very thankful i am no longer a directv customer.

compnurd likes this.