So happy my Tivo is back!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by swinca, Feb 15, 2011.

1. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I was moving some furniture and my Tivo fell on the floor along with the satellite box and some other stuff. Everything was fine except my trusty Series 2 (with lifetime). :( She's been good to me all these 7 years, so I packed her up and sent her off to DVRupgrade after reading about them here. Some of my friends thought the $149 repair cost was a little high, but it was worth it to me. She came back today all fixed, and I'm a happy camper once again. Even though I still had my HD DVR from the Dish, I missed my Tivo. Welcome home!

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could have just bought another series 2 online with lifetime service for $149. Then you wouldn't have had to ship the broken tivo.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, I agree with that.

4. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    That's possible. But I didn't think of that. It sounds like the cost would probably have been about the same. Mine now has a new hard drive and a new fan. And I know it works with my analog Dish receiver. So I'm still happy.

5. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Advertisements

I still think it's a draw - or maybe even DVRUpgrade edging out the eBay option, only because of the stated new drive and fan, potentially lasting another 7 years. With the eBay option, the drive might work now, but could fail in the near future, incurring another cost to buy a replacement drive. Just my 2 cents...

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Wouldn't want to bet that (1) analog cable signals still will be available after another 7 years, or (2) the new drive will last 7 years, or (3) the power supply will last 7 years. But you did OK. Be happy!

How have you resisted the allure of HD so long?

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I can answer that one (still using a SDTV).

Speaking for myself, it's because I care more about the content than I do in how it's presented.

8. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I haven't resisted the allure of HD. But I have the Dish, and Tivo doesn't sell anything that works with their HD box. Plus Dish's HD DVR does a great job and gives me multi room viewing with 1 DVR. So I have the Dish DVR for HD and the Tivo S2 is on an analog box for my SD TV.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Whoa! You can't say that on this forum. :eek: People on this forum consider any DVR other than TiVo to be absolute trash.

How does that MRV work with the Dish setup? What kind of box do you have at the other TV's? (I've never had satellite.)

10. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Basically I have 3 TVs, the Dish HD DVR, 1 standard receiver, and the Tivo S2. The Dish DVR is on the big TV downstairs. It outputs a 2nd signal to a TV upstairs. It's an SD signal, but it lets me watch all of my HD channels and recordings on the 2nd TV. The picture quality is not HD, but it is better quality than the same channels in SD. There is no box on the 2nd TV, just a cable running from the satellite jack. The 3rd TV has the Tivo and the standard satellite box.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Thanks. How do you select what Dish DVR recording you're watching on the "upstairs" TV? Can you play different recordings/channels on the upstairs and downstairs TVs simultaneously?

12. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Each TV has its own remote. I think the upstairs remote controls the box downstairs by radio frequency. So you just punch the DVR button until you get to the list of recorded shows, and choose the one you want to watch.

Yes.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's completely specious. In a visual entertainment mnedium, the presentation is frequently a highly significant component of the content. The artists involved (mostly producers and directors) frequently specifically choose their medium ( 70mm, panavision, technicolor, etc.) in order to best compliment their shooting style and the nature of the story being told. Films such as Lawrence of Arabia or the Lord of the Rings trilogy are just plain flat when viewed in SD. Stunning photographic essays such the Planet Earth series are just drab in SD. That, not to mention the choice with the 4:3 medium when faced with such wide screen formats is either to cut out over 20% of the picture or else to shrink the picture size by nearly 30% so it all fits in the screen, the result bieng an even further reduction in resolution, not to mention presence and impact.

Even with narrow format films, the additional resolution offered by HD is often highly significant. Fine B&W films from the 40s, for example, have unparallelled picture quality due to the very fine grained, beautifully toned B&W film stock available at the time. Many large production film makers in the era deliberately eschewed color films in favor of B&W because of the much finer look and feel of the B&W medium. This continued well into the 1950s and even early 1960s despite the ready availability and falling costs of color media. Watching one of these films on an HD system simply makes a much greater impression on the viewer. Viewed on an SD screen, they may be "OK", but viewed on an HD screen of the same size, they can be breathtaking.

Admittedly there is some content for which the presentation medium is not important. I could not care less whether the evening news is HD or not. Silent films are so grainy and are usually a square format, so nothing is added by viewing in HD. Who cares how a session of congress or a stock report looks? OTOH, viewing a spectacular cinemegraphic film like The Sound of Music in SD results in missing an important part of the viewing experience.

That's why film makers go to all the expense and trouble of using high resolution media. Otherwise, everyone would be using 8mm hand-held film cameras costing $200, rather than $250,000 70mm or HD cameras sometimes weighing upwards of 150 lbs.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Of course it is...it's only my opinion.
    I agree with everything you said, but I don't care...not enough to upgrade from a SDTV to an HDTV just yet.
    When I care about the presentation, I go to the movie theaters. ;)

15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    C'mon Steve! You should not only be going HD but seriously considering 3D -- our economy needs your support! ;)

16. MikeC34

MikeC34 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Glad Swinca got his TiVo back. For a horrible moment I thought he'd wasted his time and money - then I realised he doesn't live in the UK. Also we in the UK need our economy boosted but TiVo is abandoning us on 1st June 2011 and probably my updated drive is the only thing of use for my PC after then.

Carry on enjoying your TiVo software.

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You are welcome to care - or not - about whatever takes your fancy, but that does not mean there are not very real and significant advantages to the more advanced presentation technology. What's more, I find it difficult to believe statements such as yours unless they come from someone who has never truly experienced the difference. After becoming used to HD - which didn't take very long - I now find it truly tedious and off-putting to watch most SD content. (This taken in context of my previous post - I don't care how the evening news looks because I am not watching it for entertainment. Indeed, in this context I am not "watching" the news at all, merely observing it to obtain information.)

I find the experience in my theater to be vastly preferable to that associated with a movie theater. There are a number of serious disadvantages in the movie theater experience, among which - but not limited to which - are:

1. Rude movie patrons who think it is acceptable to talk loudly or otherwise interrupt the viewing experience of other patrons.

2. One is constrained by the theater's schedule.

3. Uncomfortable seating and distasteful environmental conditions.

4. An inability to accommodate the stomach, bladder or bowel urgencies of the patrons. In my theater, if someone has to visit the bathroom, or get a snack or refreshment, we pause the film, creating an intermission at our convenience.

5. Cost and generally low quality of snacks and refreshments.

6. Traffic and lines.

7. Extremely limited selection. This list contains most of my video library, excluding DVDs and the content on the TiVos themselves. More than 80% enjoy significant or even astounding improvements when rendered in HD, especially on screens larger than 100". I doubt you will find even a single one a local theater, or at most a very small handful.

18. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Hi-def is nice, but it ain't making content better.

Actually the biggest plus of my hdtvs are the size of the picture and the light weight/the little bit of space they take up.

The ability to get 42" plasma hdtvs for $400ish nowadays is also a big positive.

I'd say resolution is probably 4th. Maybe 5th as I'd go for a good 720p plasma with better blacks and color pop than a similarly priced 1080p lcd hdtv.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, I consider any DVR that lacks any of the most significant features the TiVo does to be absolute trash. In theory there's a big difference. In practice, at least so far, not so much. Note the TiVo Premier falls into the second category, at this point in time.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No, good looking crap is still crap. OTOH, the reverse is not true. SD does make the content worse, or if you will, (in many cases) prevents the content from achieving its maximum potential.

I fail to see why I should care about either one - and indeed I do not. I don't go around lifting or moving my TVs. In any case, the amount of space allocated to TV viewing is not closely related to the thickness of the TV. The other two dimensions do impact the area allocated to viewing, but then a 62" Plasma is not significantly smaller than a 62" CRT in height and width, by definition.

I rather fail to see the point in the context of this discussion.

I would not go for either one, and in fact, I didn't. In more direct response to your point, however, it's true that resolution is not the only metric of PQ. Again, however, and in the context of this discussion, the point is rather moot. In almost every category relating to PQ, a quality HD unit will surpass the specifications of classic SD / CRT systems.