So...does my Mini hate the wireless connection, switches, or both?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by austinsho, Jun 18, 2020.

1. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    OK, continuing the talk about Minis falling off the network...

My mini is hardwired to the router, but it is through not one, but two TPLink switches. The Roamio Pro is wireless. The Mini will stay connected for a day, maybe two, before everything has to be restarted. This whole setup has been running only a week so I don't have a lot of experience with this particular setup. When this happened Tuesday, I restarted the network and everything was fine. This morning when it happened, I had to restart the Roamio Pro as well to bring things back.

Any thoughts as to whether it's more likely that it's the Roamio Pro wireless connection or the switches that are causing the problems?

Many thanks!

2. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I can’t remember the exact manifestation, but I had terrible network problems when some of my newly installed switches had a couple features turned on. One of them was IGMP snooping. Until that feature was turned off I had terrible trouble with my minis going offline.
    Do a search for Tivos, IGMP snooping and multicast and see what you get. You will probably have to log into your switches and change a few settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Well, these are unmanaged switches and I don't think any of that applies. Here's a link to one of my switches, the other is a 8 port version of the same thing. Perhaps a cheap, dumb, unmanaged switch gives the Mini headaches?

TL-SG105 | 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch | TP-Link

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    It's the Roamio wireless connection. Don't do that.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  5. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Hey Austinsho, I followed the link that you provided, and a ways down that product page there is a heading called “Traffic Optimization”. In that section, it says that the switch has IGMP snooping. If that is the case, that switch will not be a reliable network switch for Tivos.

In my original post, I left the word “not” out my last sentence. It has been added now. Sorry for the confusion.

6. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    OK, thanks to all of you. I jcan put the two on the same switch (wired) and if that doesn't work, will replace the switches. And MANY thanks for the info on "Traffic Optimization"!

More later.!

7. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I hope that you get it resolved in short order.

8. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Well, we have an update. Eliminating the wireless to the Roamio Pro has really helped the Mini's response time. There were times when I'd see a 4-6 second lag when selecting a recorded program. Now it's about half that, at worst. I didn't even realize that lag was an issue, having never run a Mini before. The issue was it falling off the network after a day or so. I had another thread in which I was considering an oddball solution to the Mini's hookup since I wasn't able to get it Ethernet. Well, we did finally get Ethernet not only to it, but the Roamio as well.

I'm not even going to test the new setup for a couple of days to see if it still loses contact with the Roamio. Tomorrow those switches get replaced.

It's been a good day and thanks to all! More later.

9. tiv0 newbie

tiv0 newbie Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Glad that it is working better for you.