So are you happy?

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Muttley1900, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008

Advertisements

Just before VM offer TiVo to the wider public and not wanting to open old wounds etc, but genuinely wanting to know if you are happy with your VM TiVo, all things considered (e.g. cost, level of support from VM, number of bugs etc)?

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes, absolutely. It could be better, of course, but it's still the best thing on the market :)

3. nbaker

nbaker New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Lincolnshire...
    Yes I love the new Tivo.

My main issue is the new style epg & lack of programme filters.

4. Buzby

Buzby VM Tivo & S1 User

Feb 21, 2011
    Scotland
    Yep - does what they say it does, and brings an unprecedented level of flexibility to TV viewing.

5. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011

Advertisements

Yip, great to have my old friend back, and rarely do we watch live TV anymore... :up::up::up:

6. kmusgrave

kmusgrave New Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Isleworth, UK
    Frankly, I'm disappointed with mine. After loving my S1 Tivo in its time I guess I was expecting so much. I resurrected my S1 before I got my VM one and find its easier to use, and finds more programmes in its wishlists. Oh, and the 10 yer old model is faster.

7. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    The hardware is a big step forward over my old series 1 TiVo. The software is a step backwards.

I'm happy in the sense that it's an improvement overall and I wouldn't want to go back, but I'm not content. Having to enter a PIN on 50% of programmes; having to wait for the UI to catch up with my button presses; having to work with the lobotomised Guide: my daily interactions with it are painful. The HD support, three tuners, bigger hard disk and more reliable channel changes are what make it worth it.

Someone should buy the VM guys an iPad, so they can see what we expect from a modern appliance.

8. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes. Because Apple products are perfect and don't have any bugs at all, do they? :p

If and when they iron-out the problems you mention - and I agree with all of them - then Tivo only be be even better than it is now :)

9. Plaiter

Plaiter New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I am very happy with mine. The issues I have experienced have been relatively minor.

It is like having your own personal TV channel tailored to you.

I also like the fact that it is constantly evolving and the potential is huge.

10. Royalflush

Royalflush New Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Another happy bunny here. I powered up my S1 box yesterday to watch an old recording, having got used to the new box the old one now seems very outdated, RIP old friend :(

11. mruddo

mruddo New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I'm very happy with mine too. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's miles ahead of the Sky+ HD box I was effectively forced to switch to when my Series 1 was retired (to allow me to watch HD). Admittedly in some respects it seems somewhat less efficient than the S1 TiVo, but then it's also doing a whole lot more stuff - because the world's moved on.

If they'd just allow me to select "Channels I receive" then that'd be the icing on the cake for me as far as key functionality is concerned. :)

12. Rolnikov

Rolnikov New Member

Nov 29, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Very pleased with it so far. Having three tuners makes a huge difference - I remember first time around with TiVo cancelling Sky Movies because we could never find a slot to record the big films.

The guide data needs work, though - it's still missing a lot of the premieres.

13. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    And a lot of meta-data like who's in which movies; ie the stuff that makes wishlists work :(

14. Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Mmmm, no they aren't perfect and yes they do have bugs. But Apple does seem to have a good grasp on 'usabilty' and Brangdon's comments seemed to be more about that than bugs.

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Everything he mentioned - with the possible exception of the PIN issue - is a bug though, and should be fixed in time. If you accept those issues it's perfectly useable.

16. Pine Cladding

Pine Cladding Large member (Ooer!)

Aug 4, 2001
    Fareham, UK
    On the whole, yes, very happy. There are still far too many reboots and GUI freezes. I do get irked having to trawl through greyed out channels I don't subscribe to and it would be nice to have the promised network access and iPad app. Iron out the gripes and in a side by side comparison the VM TiVo outshines the S1.

17. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Yes, very happy.

I echo the fact that the software isn't perfect and I preferred the old style guide but the multiple tuners and HD more than makes up for it.

18. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Set your favourite channels to be those you subscribe to, then press blue in the guide to only show favourites...

19. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    I've done that a few times now but find it often flips back to 'All Channels' on the guide? Is that normal? Any way around it?

20. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Moderately Happy, but is it the delight to use that the old TIVO was? Certainly not at the moment.

Personally, I feel that Virgin have taken advantage of the loyalty of Series 1 users to get them to beta test the software, which was released to us with an awful lot of bugs and missing items.

I had a call from Virgin the other day, and the engineer couldn't have been more attentive in writing down the various problem areas I mentioned, and I certainly got the impression that they fully intend to keep working on it until it is undisputedly the best PVR on the market.

But it does appear that the price to the general public will be droping fairly quickly, even if it's for a unit with half the capacity, long before most of the faults are addressed.

Kudos to Virgin though for getting the 3rd tuner working on time. And ask us again in a year's time.