SNL on thursdays?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bengalfreak, May 5, 2009.

1. May 5, 2009 #1 of 22
    bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

Advertisements

I just read that NBC plans on having a Thursday night version of SNL on its list of Fall shows. While a couple of years ago, this may have been at least a moderately good idea, SNL has just been abysmal since Tina Fey and Amy Poehler left. I find myself FF thru 90% of the skits to get to Weekend Update and even that has slipped this season.

2. May 5, 2009 #2 of 22
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    And it will probably be all political satire. Which I mostly find unfunny.

3. May 5, 2009 #3 of 22
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Baffles my mind moreso with the limited schedule due to Leno's show. What's even more scary is that it's probably the right move if the 'viewing public' is satisfied being fed that crap.

I guess I'm almost seeing it as a badge of honor that my tastes tend to differ from the 'viewing public' given some of the stuff that's being put on TV these days. :shrug:

4. May 5, 2009 #4 of 22
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    If the "viewing public" is satisfied, then it isn't crap, even if it is something one personally doesn't like. It is very important to remember that one's own personal preferences don't trump that of the general public; they are different things. Insisting on viewing things through a lens so heavily colored by one's own personal preference is setting one's self up for continual bitter dissatisfaction, and, more critically, for disassociation with the reality that you're going to encounter.

5. May 5, 2009 #5 of 22
    ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005

Advertisements

The problem with these Thursday shows is that they are retreads of things that Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert already lampooned (likely in a much funnier way) earlier in the week. I don't see the point, unless they think there is some huge untapped market demanding this sort of comedy at 9:30pm. It seems more like a cheap way to lengthen the season of the Thursday night comedies.

6. May 5, 2009 #6 of 22
    Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Not true. Crap can satisfy. Dogs eat the stuff all the time. It has some minor nutritional value and fills the stomach, but there are better options for them in terms of both taste and nutrition--they should be trained to not do it and fed appropriately by their owners.

You mean we don't each get to program NBC? Gosh, that's enlightening. Thanks!

This is incoherent; it's not really clear who or what you're responding to. Perhaps this thread isn't really on the topic you'd like to discuss, in which case may I point out the irony?

7. May 5, 2009 #7 of 22
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    And, of course, you get to determine what is "better". :rolleyes:

Wait... let me give you a few more of those: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't mistake your unwillingness to acknowledge the validity of what I wrote (I doubt you are actually "unable" to recognize the validity of it) with "incoherence".

I generally don't "respond to" anyone. I generally "respond to" the topic being discussed. And so should you, instead of making lame personal attacks on posters you disagree with.

8. May 5, 2009 #8 of 22
    Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Especially since for the next few years it would consist of just stroking the Whitehouse.

9. May 5, 2009 #9 of 22
    vazquezj324

vazquezj324 now THIS is Colorado

Jul 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I recall SHL had a Thursday show last season, it was just the "Weekend Update". Probably a revival?

10. ira_l

ira_l Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Ossining, N.Y.
    The one that they had for a few weeks last season was election-centric. After the election, it was gone.
    Trouble for the new show is...no presidential election in 2009.

Seth Myers, Amy Pohler (before the premiere of Parks and Recreation) and frequently Tina Fey were featured.

Plus, it's called "Weekend Update." Does NBC actually OWN a calendar?

It sure sounds like boneheads are running free over at NBC!

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    What he said.

WRONG WRONG WRONG....that's the actual definition of crap.

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    It's only 6 episodes. Probably during off-weeks for other shows.

13. pigonthewing

pigonthewing (& theinstigator)

May 6, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So, TNL, then?

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think you missed the whole concept of the Thursday night SNL. It's 30 minutes of Weekend Update, just like they did last fall before the election. If that's the only portion of SNL that you watch, I don't see why you're complaining.

15. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    The SNL Thursday night specials were quite good. Comparing SNL Saturdays and the stuff they did on Thursdays just isn't a good comparison.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    How about more SNL on Saturday Nights first?

17. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    TN. Not sure if it's L or not.

18. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Is this on NBCs list of FALL shows or FAIL shows?

Frank

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

:up:

I think I looked at the top 20 recently and realized I watched 3 of the shows. And one of them was #20. I guess I just don't fit the mold of the "average viewer" because I generally like low rated shows that mostly have cult followings. If it's different, I'll usually watch.

20. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    No: What I said.

"WRONG WRONG WRONG" Crap is stuff that people do not like.