SNL On Demand - No Musical Act

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by marksman, Mar 19, 2011.

1. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002

Advertisements

So I have NBC On Demand now with DirecTV, and I had forgot to record SNL last with with Zack Galifianakis. I downloaded it today and watched it. When it was over I noticed that even though Jessie J or Jessie Jane or whomever was on the goodbyes, she never actually performed in the On Demand show.

After that I remembered in the monologue it was cut off abruptly before the part where the host would normally say who the musical guest is and stay tuned and we will have a good show and all that...

Does anyone know why this is? I assume it is some sort of weird contractual issue, but it seems really odd.

2. flikhem

flikhem Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Perhaps On Demand is just saving the viewer the trouble of having to FF through the "musical act," which hasn't been very musical in ten or more years.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Music licensing rights. For instance, the part that they cut out of Galifianakis' monologue, as I understand, was where he performed "Tomorrow" from Annie. (No, I'm not sure why, I didn't see the episode.)

In any case, the songs are cleared for television broadcast, but not for internet broadcast/retransmission.

4. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I don't get why they don't get clearance for dvd/internet and all that. I would expect them (and all the WB shows) to have some leverage - "you want to promote your new album or song on iTunes on our show? Well, sign over the rebroadcasting rights..."

But yeah, usually it does seem like it's worth paying a little extra to have someone edit out the musical acts from SNL... :)

5. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston

Advertisements

Are there commercials on this?

6. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    On Netflix they include the musical act for the most recent episodes. They don't though on earlier episodes like from the 80s or 90s or some skits either.

7. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    The music industry has been digging it's own grave for a a few decades now. The antiquated and draconian copyright rules need to change.

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Thanks... I was going to ask in this thread about that. That's unfortunate IMHO. I might go back and watch some of the older eps *just* for the musical acts. (Heck, once in a while my wishlists for bands catch the reruns on comedy central, and I even have edited the musical performances out of those.)