SNL: 9/27/08 Anna Farris *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by YCantAngieRead, Sep 29, 2008.

1. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003

Advertisements

I was just thinking back on this week's show, and I realized-was there a Digital Short this week? I can't remember one.

Which could be the result of the show being really quite unmemorable. I love SNL and even I'll admit this week was slow.

2. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The Palin bit was great. And I thought the strippers sketch was genius.

And then they followed up the strippers sketch with Deep House Dish. :rolleyes: :(

3. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    In keeping with their MO, the cold open was good, update was good, the rest was pretty awful.

Darrell Hammond as Clinton had me LOLing, though. "Sometimes women will be uncomfortable doing something at first...." :D

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Maybe cuz SNL has sucked for so long, this episode I thought was really pretty good. I thought the 2nd episode was decent too for SNL.

I have a feeling that they worked on these 2 episodes during the summer and when they decided to put Michael on the 1st episode they rushed that one on the air.

I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but I have no idea who Duffy is, but she was pretty good too.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA

Advertisements

When I heard the name Duffy I immediately thought of the MTV VJ who had appeared in movies such as Dumb & Dumber. This obviously was not her. lol On a sad note I decided to look up Duffy and seems she has a rare disease called sarcoidosis which has left her partially paralysed.

6. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I had never heard of Duffy either but was impressed by her. Great retro musical style, great delivery, sexy Betty-Boop-but-with-depth-and-range voice. I liked!

The Sara Palin bit was kind of funny, but I found the one that opened the season premier to be funnier.

The other good thing about this episode: Both the host and musical guest were extremely, as David Letterman would put it: "easy on the eyes".

7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I have been recording this every week (well, that's just a few so far) just to see if Tina Fey will open with a Palin bit. I delete after watching the open. Though this week I did watch Anna Faris' monologue.

8. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    Just to clarify to anyone reading - that's Karen Duffy, not THE Duffy. :)
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/09/19/hln.bio.karen.duffy/

I thought this week's episode was the best of the season so far. About midway through it tanked and was in the crapper for the rest of the show, but still. The first half was fairly solid.

9. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Thanks for the clarification. I googled "Duffy" (the singer that appeared on SNL) after seeing her on the show, read the article on her on Wikipedia (linky), and browsed around her official web site.

No mention of sarcoidosis or other physical health issues for the singer "Duffy" (full name, "Aimee Anne Duffy") at all.

10. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    Yes, she looks healthy to me. However, if anyone's concerned about her well-being, I'd be glad to perform an exam. You can't be too careful nowadays.

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I thought Duffy was weird and awful. It seemed like a parody of a musician to me. Her voice was really unpleasant and squeaky, like a friend who sucks at Rock Band or something. She had a weird dance like her entire body was shot up with Botox. I thought maybe Jennifer Coolidge had a secret identity for a while. Maybe her crappy voice and stage presence will improve - after all, I thought the same thing about Beck for several years, before he learned how to sing.

The band and instrumentals were decent, though.

I thought Fey was funny as Palin. Then I saw a video of Palin's interview and realized the bit about health care and jobs was almost a verbatim quote from Palin. I didn't really get the Couric impression, though. Poehler is really getting worse and worse in this show as Kristin Wiig gets better and better.

We all tried doing Judy Grimes impressions after the Weekend Update. We aren't as good. Between that and the "comedian" that never finishes a sentence, those are two impressive characters.

12. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I also thought this was the best show of the season and was very good. The only bit I didn't like at all was the Deep House Dish. I don't normally like them. I normally FF through them, but watched this one and didn't laugh once. I thought the rest were pretty good. Palin/Couric was hilarious, debate was great, opening car scene was good, news was very good including Clinton, strippers skit was funny. What else was there? Oh yeah, the beer garden one was just okay. It was funny when they brought the giant sausage out and you knew what was coming, but then she said something else before what you were expecting.

No Angie, there was no digital short.

13. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Not only no digital short, but I don't think we saw Andy Samburg in any sketches other than Deep House Dish.

14. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Wow, "ear of the beholder".

I thought her voice was positively AWESOME! It had this Betty Boop like quality, yet was full, resonant, emotional, and perfectly on pitch. Come to think of it, her singing voice is rather similar to that of Bernadette Peters' (who's been repeatedly critically acclaimed for it).

I found her voice, and her understated "retro" look and "retro" dance moves to be very sexy.

15. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I guess I'm alone. I like Deep House Dish.

Something, though, that I DID kind of enjoy this week, even though I thought it was less funny overall than it has been, was the singing canoers. I'm not sure why I thought it was amusing, but it just was. And anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. ;) :p

16. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the canoe skit. I thought that was funny. I knew they were going to say something about knowing what the other was saying, but I still laughed when they said it.

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Oooowhee Angie! This thread was starting to have some energy and was engaging the posters, and then you went and said that. Let's try and not make that same mistake anymore, bokay?

:p

Seriously though, sometimes there will be an amusing musical act in DHD, but all the business in between has been the same cookie cutter stuff they did in each of the other 5 or 6 times they did that sketch. It was marginally funny the first time; it's been painfully predictable every time since. This time around, I was saying Keenan's lines before he was, and I didn't even need cue cards. :)

18. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I'm a fan of modern day SNL but didnt get much out of this episode. You can judge an ep by how long it takes to watch and this was close to 30 minutes. Most sketches got a FF.

I liked the row boat one, and I also like Deep House Dish, Andy's role is the best, Keenan is more the straight man (so to speak).

The Palin and debate sketches went on too long.

Duffy is boring.

Weekend Update was poor. I really can't stand the woman who's name is escaping me who had the character on Update, all her characters are highly derivative and annoying.

Clinton was great as always.

19. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Okay, that TOTALLY made me laugh out loud. And I NEVER laugh aloud at things online. Well done. :D :up:

20. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I liked her look and her dancing but found her voice slightly annoying. Not terrible, but just something about it I didn't like. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I kept thinking I'd rather hear Christina Aguilera sing those songs.