SNL 5/7/11 Tina Fey; Ellie Goulding

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 #1 of 33
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    SeanC seems to be MIA again so I'll try to do him justice.

Osama last will
    Tina Fey Monologue (with Maya Rudolph)
    Republican Debate (with Daryll Hammond)
    Beneath the waves
    Jack Sparrow featuring Michael Bolton (a SNL Digital Short)
    Ellie Goulding performs (Lights)
    Weekend Update
    .. Top Stories
    .. The Devil
    .. More top stories
    .. Gaddafi's two best childhood friends
    .. More top stories
    .. Stefon
    Natural child birth (with Maya Rudolph)
    Sleepover
    Ellie Goulding performs (Your Song)
    Pregnant in heels
    Googie Rene's slightly damaged prom wear (with Maya Rudolph)
    Hallmark "Mother" Collection

Loved the digital short (I have a new appreciation for Michael Bolton) and Stefon. The debate and natural child birth sketches were okay (the later was disturbing and funny at the same time). I wasn't crazy about the rest. They weren't terrible, but weren't particularly good either.

2. May 8, 2011 #2 of 33
    Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    We had no idea who Ellie Goulding was, but her performance was summed up by my wife, who asked, "Is she Lorne Michael's niece or something?"

I usually love girl singers, but she left me flat.

Stefon was awesome, as usual. Bill Hader can't make it through one of those without losing it. The Devil was excellent last night as well.

Oh, and Maya Rudolph's "lady beard" in the natural childbirth sketch made me stop the DVR to replay...

3. May 8, 2011 #3 of 33
    Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I wasn't all that impressed with Ellie Goulding either. I usually like those types of singers but her voice didn't seem remarkable.

4. May 8, 2011 #4 of 33
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Fermez la BUUUUUUSHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D

Is she naked or does she have a standard poodle in her lap? :p;)

Did the devil make this movie? :eek:

Of course he's happy, he just heard the Vietnam war ended last week! :rolleyes:

Are those iPhones? :eek:
    Coming up, they cook the placenta in a wok! :eek:

5. May 8, 2011 #5 of 33
    Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Considering that Tina Fey was the host, I had higher hopes for the episode. It was kind of "meh".

Highlights were the Natural Childbirth sketch, and the video short. Michael Bolton was awesome in that! (And, I'm not a Michael Bolton fan, by any means, but he's a great sport and apparently has a pretty good sense of comedy to have been in that short.)

And while, overall, I didn't find the debate sketch terribly funny, it's always nice to see Daryl Hammond come back to do one if his excellent impressions.

6. May 8, 2011 #6 of 33
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    He said he enjoyed it and would love to work with the Lonely Island crew again. I've been finding myself watching it over and over as it's not only hilarious, but a good song as well. It's also amazing how much he looks like the characters he's playing in the song.

Now back to the good part. :D

7. May 9, 2011 #7 of 33
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I loved "Beneath the waves". For me it was so unexpected for Bin Laden to come floating by. It cracked me up.

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 33
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I didn't watch the episode, but I do like Ellie Goulding. She has a unique voice, but like pretty much every music act on SNL, I bet the acoustics/her performance were not that great.

Anytime SNL has groups I like, they sound horrible, which is why when I do watch the show, I just skip the musical acts. I have an ipod to listen to them properly.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 33
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Once again I had a late night at my brother's place, I didn't get home until 3am.

I enjoyed this one very much, thought there was quite a lot of good material in it. Really liked the digital short and Natural Child Birth.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We got the ""Pregnant in Heels" sketch twice at the end of the episode, rather than the last couple listed by morac in the OP. I wonder if there was something wrong with one of those and that was their way of censoring, or if our affiliate just screwed up the feed.

11. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I thought Ellie Goulding was great. Hadn't heard of her before, but went and bought her album on iTunes after seeing the performance. Very unique voice.

12. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    They showed the Seth Myers clip on ABC's This Week. "Hey White House, armed, unarmed, not resisting, holding a bunny, we're totally cool with you shooting bin Laden."

13. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I went back and watched the LI digital short. I didn't get many of the lyrics with my crappy SD TV.

I now can't get the song out of my head. Love it.

14. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Yup.

15. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Since you're in Arizona during daylight saving time, I'd say it's a 99% chance that it was your affiliate's fault -- they have to do their own delaying of the feed in order to broadcast the show at the correct time.

(NBC has an Eastern/Central, a Mountain, and a Pacific feed, all of which shift with DST -- when everyone's on standard time, Arizona affiliates can take the Mountain feed "live," but when everyone else is on daylight saving time, there's no feed that's at the correct time for Arizona.)

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You're probably right, but it was very strange. Everything else ran correctly. They came back from commercial and did "Pregnant in Heels." Then they went to commercial and when they came back, they did "Pregnant in Heels" again in its entirety. Went to commercial, and came back to the final scene of Tina thanking everyone, etc. I figured there must have been something objectionable in that final sketch so they just covered it up. If that didn't happen for anyone else in the west, then I'm sure it was just my affiliate.

17. Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    I wasn't sure where to post this but it seemed like as good a place as any. It's a coupon for the new CD at Best Buy, including the song from last night. 8 bucks is pretty good IMO.

http://thelonelyisland.com/static/img/bestbuy.jpg

We have "Incredibad" and I still listen to it all the time.

18. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    Our NBC affiliate seems to mess up the last SNL sketch or two on a pretty regular basis. I have no idea why, maybe they fall asleep...

19. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

"This is the tale, of Captain Jack Sparrow..."

20. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I was impressed by Michael Bolton also especially since he seemed like such a wuss when he was on Dancing with the Stars.

Ellie Goulding left me bored.
    It wasn't until the second song that I realized she musta been the girl who sang Your Song as The Royal Wedding reception in England the week before.

So William and Kate - you had a choice between her and Beyonce and you went with her?
    say what?
    those crazy brits.