SNL 5/14/11 Ed Helms; Paul Simon

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, May 15, 2011.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    The Situation Room
    Ed Helms Monologue
    A Message from The Corn Syrup Producers of America
    What Up With That? (Chris Colfer, Lindsay Buckingham cameos)
    The Ambiguously Gay Duo (Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon, Jon Hamm cameos)
    Paul Simon Performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Anthony Crispino
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Will Smith
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Garth & Kat
    Four Guys Reminisce
    Murder on the 23rd Floor
    Paul Simon Performs
    Ann-Margret Tries to Throw Away a Wad of Paper into a Trashcan
    A Republican Candidate commercial

As usual I thought the cold open was awful.

Also as usual, I loved WUWT. Let me be the first to congratulate Fish Man, he called it on 12-05-2010, 11:13 AM, the real Lindsey showed up. Well done! :D

TAGD was ok. Not horrible, but not awesome, and it seemed like with what the brought together for it it should have been mind blowingly amazing. Was Big Head a cameo? I didn't recognize him as anyone.

Really enjoyed Paul's first song, listened to it a second time right after he finished it.

2. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I usually HATE, HAAAAATE What's Up With That. Didn't hate it this time. Best part was Lindsey's solo.

I kind of liked the open.

Ed Helms is a mega talented dude, and I'm not sure this episode showcased that very well.

3. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I completely agree.

4. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Wasn't Big Head played by Steve Carell? We thought so.

5. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I got to see very little of it, but I managed to catch Ace and Gary. I thought it was hilarious, especially how well they translated some of the ridiculous things you see in the cartoon to "live". The looks on the bad guys' faces when they were wrangling the snake were priceless.

6. Brent W

Brent W Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn...
    Yes, he was

7. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ambiguously Gay Duo in three different aspect ratios.

8. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I can't remember a guest host with such little screen time? And even the sketches he was in, he was just a bit player.

Duo was the highlight.

9. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I really liked the ep. I always like What's Up With That, and to have Lindsey Buckingham finally show up was great.

I think Paul Simon was good, but his hairpiece looks kind of silly.

10. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    And Stephen Colbert was there, too. So, along with Ed Helms, there were three alumni from The Daily Show in that sketch.

This and this.

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Also, Steve Carell does the voice of Gary when animated and Colbert does the voice of Ace.

12. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Overall very good episode.

Cold open pretty much sucked, and I'm getting tired of Garth and Kat, but otherwise, everything really clicked.

Ambiguously Gay Duo was totally awesome. I can't help but wonder if The Lonely Island guys collaborated with Robert Smeigel on that one.

And, yes, it's true, I knew they eventually had to have Lindsey Buckingham on WUWT, but the way they played it was not what I expected, and was really, really funny!

Two great songs by Paul Simon! His new CD will be downloaded, thanks to that episode! :up:

Good show, I'm looking forward to the season finale next week. JT is always a great SNL host, and Gaga should be interesting.

13. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I liked that they had the real Lindsey Buckingham, but I thought how they worked him in was sort of awkward. Two Lindseys? Kinda dumb.

We also thought Ed Helms was underused. He was barely in anything.

I really hate the Anthony Crispino bit (the guy who gets the news wrong) during Weekend Update. It is never funny.

14. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I never really liked Garth and Kat. However, I didn't realize until very recently that all of the Garth and Kat skits are 100% improvised. Fred Armisen leads and Kristen Wiig tries to keep up.

15. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I agree it was an awesome sketch! I thought right from the start it might have been a collaboration with Sandberg, et. al., but they appeared nowhere in the sketch or the credits. I seriously hope they bring it back a couple of more times. Could not have been done any better. John Hamm, Jimmy Fallon, both Steves, and Helms.. all great.

For a quick moment, I thought "The Brain" looked like Larry David, but he was also too tall and I know he never leaves L.A.

(that was a joke).

(Yes, I know it was Steve Colbert).

16. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Funny, but I listened to 75% of each of those songs to give it the proper chance and all I could think was, "Does this guy still make money doing this?????" I thought they were both terrible (and boring).

17. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I found them both a bit flat (musically, not tonally) and repetitive.

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Loved the live-action Ambiguously Gay Duo sketch. :up::up:

But, did they lose the original animation footage of the opening? It was so grainy (and in 4:3) it looked like maybe they pulled it off of YouTube.

19. garyh

garyh Mizzou-Rah

Jan 15, 2004
    The Lou
    I sense an A&G movie coming (heh, heh I said....)

As a Gary, I always enjoyed those sketches in spite of the fact that I am unambiguously straight, and I don't know anyone named ACE.

20. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I don't know... A&G is a great SNL sketch... I can't believe they would take a 5 minute sketch and draw it out to a full length movie.

Oh wait..

It's Pat: The Movie
    Stuart Saves His Family
    A Night at the Roxbury
    Superstar
    The Ladies' Man

:)