SNL - 4/11 - Carey Mulligan / Kid Cudi

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Aaron Malloy, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread on this yet, so I'll start one. I'm in the middle of it, so I'll add a review at the end.

But that outfit Mulligan was wearing for the monologue was ugly. It looked like it had two arms slings built into it.

[​IMG]

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    One thing that doesn't matter to me is Hollywood star fashion sense. It is what it is.

As has been the norm in the second half of this season, most me, with a few good bits. The monologue was meh, setting up her husband taking it over. I liked the Springsteen/Obama bit during W/U (but had me wondering why they didn't bring in Fallon to do The Boss). But as with most of this second half of the season, 2 days later I can barely remember most of the show. And of course I had no interest in the musical guest (and I did give it about 15 seconds of the first song to be fair). And then the second song he was wearing a dress, speaking of fashion statements.

3. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    And when they were hugging at the end. That got cut off.

I had no reason to give the musical guest any attention whatsoever.

I forget what but there was music I enjoyed with one of the skits late in the show.

I had never heard of the host but she did a good job with everything she did. I thought the acting was great with the scenes from the lesbian couple from England. Kate, of course, didn't take it seriously like the others did.

The game show was fun, especially Kenan being frustrated.

I liked the cold open but I was sort of expecting the white people to be on Chauvin's side. I was relieved that the conflict was what the Black people expected would be the outcome. Also, it was funny that the Black people didn't know who Prince Philip was and I just knew they were going to think "The prince" was Prince Rogers Nelson.

The temperatures when they showed the weather didn't make sense.

4. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    No, but having lived in Minneapolis the "Rest of April: Cold! May: Cold! June: Cold! July: Somehow hot as hell!" had me laughing since, yeah, that's what the weather is like there.

mattack and Aaron Malloy like this.
  5. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I'm going to go ahead and admit that the recital made me laugh so hard I finally had to pause because my eyes were watering.

Aaron Malloy likes this.
  6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Chauvin and game show skits were funny. I basically fast forwarded through everything else except Weekend Update. I loved Carey Mulligan in the Doctor Who "Blink" episode she was the star of but I had basically forgotten she existed until this SNL episode.

getreal likes this.
  7. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Not related to the show but one of the Weekend Update stories reminded me of a joke on NPR. The Koch brothers are so mad they changed their name to Pepsi.

mattack, Aaron Malloy and Steveknj like this.
  8. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    And here on the west coast, we've been getting SNL live for the last couple of years. It's a bit strange watching it come on at 8:30pm, but cool to seeing it actually live.

9. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    SNL does the best commercial parodies.

10. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    I thought this was rather good after thinking it might not be.

jeetkunedo likes this.
  11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "Look, I was just sitting in the North Atlantic minding my own business when the ship just comes and rams into me!
    And I'm the bad guy????"

Aaron Malloy likes this.
  12. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Watching it live I missed the opening line that gave the premise of who he is. Without that it sucked and was painful to watch, but I knew I came in late and missed something at the beginning. So I rewound to watch it again and see what I missed... and it turned into the best sketch of the night.

Aaron Malloy likes this.
  13. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    Yes, the context definitely matters here.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought this was one of the weaker episodes of the season, but Carey Mulligan was good in everything she was in. The writing just wasn't great overall.

Apparently the dress Kid Cudi was wearing in the second performance was a nod to Kurt Cobain, but I never would have realized that myself.

Steveknj likes this.
  15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Wonder what she’s been up to. Maybe an Oscar nomination this year?

16. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    She and her husband (Marcus Mumford) were cute during the monologue when he "surprised" her-

Honey, where are the kids?
    I left them with the "sons!" :D

jeetkunedo and Aaron Malloy like this.
  17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It thought it was really funny, but as with most bits on SNL, it went on too long and it became more silly and less funny as it went on. But the early part of the bit was quite funny.

Aaron Malloy likes this.
  18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Did Cobain like to wear dresses? I have to admit I'm not up on my Cobain trivia, but I didn't know that.

19. Aaron Malloy

Oct 30, 2019
    She's always had a posh vibe about her, so I was somewhat surprised that they were a couple with kids. I wouldn't automatically think they were each other's type. But I like relationships that surprise.

Regina likes this.
  20. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    The "In Bloom" video is a good example.