SNL - 2/6 - Dan Levy/Phoebe Bridgers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by HarleyRandom, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Feb 8, 2021 #1 of 38
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

Not much to this episode in my opinion. I guess nothing's really going on that would make a skit based on current events really funny.

The prime time episode was much better with a really funny "Weekend Update", a great opening sketch of Bill Clinton leering at Madonna as Hillary fumed, and a hilarious sketch where a men's restroom in a fancy restaurant had no stalls but a very annoying and very helpful attendant. I skipped over Madonna's second musical performance but I did see her imitate Marilyn Monroe singing to JFK. At least I think it was really her and not some cast member.

I suppose I liked Levy okay. I do have the opportunity now to watch his TV series which shall remain nameless, but I'd need a new Bolt. I've been told I bought the wrong Bolt and if I buy the right one I can use the software from my Roamio, something not possible with my current Bolt. But the Bolt, the Roamio, the series 2 and the Series 3 are nearly full and I can't watch a new hour of TV every weeknight. It's all I can do to keep up with what I already watch.

As for Phoebe Bridgers, I gave her a chance on her first song and after a few seconds i could tell it wasn't anything I'd enjoy listening to for however many minutes. I tried her again later and still wasn't quite happy, though what she did then was closer to my taste. I gave up and as I fast-forwarded, Wow, was I ever glad I did give up on her.

The musical performance I really liked was at the sports bar. And Cecily Strong has nice legs.

"Weekend Update" was the best part of the show as usual.

2. Feb 8, 2021 #2 of 38
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The bathroom sketch you mentioned to me is one of the funniest sketches ever done on SNL. I remember laughing quite a bit when I first saw it all those years ago and laughed again watching it again on Saturday.

As far as this week, I thought it was one of the better episodes this season, at least up until WU (which I liked). I thought it ran out of steam during the second half. I always liked the openings where they go "backstage" so that was really funny. And I liked the Super Bowl pre-game but a lot.

I knew you were not going to like the musical guest, and I had never heard anything she's done, but I actually enjoyed her. And I didn't expect what she did at the end with the hard rock guitar and the Pete Townsend guitar smash. I'm always a fan of women who can do more than just sing and dance, but have some actual musical talent beyond that, so Phoebe was in my wheelhouse. Now I have to find some of her music in other sources to sample.

Oh and I agree about Cicely. I've had a bit of a crush on her for years :)

3. Feb 8, 2021 #3 of 38
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought the guitar smash made her look really stupid. It seemed like she was trying to do it like Pete Townsend, but she didn't have the strength, so it just looked comical to see her repeatedly bashing the guitar on the amp with nothing happening.
    Keep away! She's my crush! ;)

4. Feb 8, 2021 #4 of 38
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I enjoyed having Dan in many sketches. I also loved that his dad came along.

I would say about 99% of the time I FF through the music segments.

But I did find quite a few of the sketches very funny this week.

Yes, definitely nice having Cecily in sketches. I just really like her a lot and I also love it when she gets to sing.

Steveknj likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2021 #5 of 38
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Not sure what I thought about the guitar smash, but I didn't expect it. But I liked her music

And I'll fight you for Cicely ;)

DevdogAZ likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2021 #6 of 38
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I wonder if Kate McKinnon was busy with some other things? She's usually in most sketches but I only remember her in 2 and both toward the end of the show (though she might have been in more and I'm not remembering). I'm fine with that as I think she's just been a little too over-exposed.

7. Feb 8, 2021 #7 of 38
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked Aidy Bryant playing both Andy Reid and Bruce Arians in the cold open. Making her change back to Andy Reid after going from Reid to Arians was brilliant.

"I wanna hear what Coach Reid has to say about what Coach Arians just said."

[GULP] "You do?"

verdugan likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2021 #8 of 38
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I really like the Covid Bubble skit

9. Feb 8, 2021 #9 of 38
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Can you repeat that, but really slowly :)

10. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    That was funny.

11. AntiPC

AntiPC Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    I really liked the Zillow parody commercial, although they were pretty much making fun of me personally. I also liked the Black History "Cheez-it, Historically Delicious" commercial.

verdugan, photoshopgrl and cl8855 like this.
  12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I would have enjoyed it more if it didn't ring so true.

MikeMar likes this.
  13. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah, watched the SuperBowl with our covid bubble. But they see just as few people as we do, almost no one, including a lot of family

14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    A running gag in those “backstage” monologues is there is always a hallway with two dancers, Lincoln and a llama in the background. This episode stood out as the llama was a stuffed fake llama instead of the usual live one. Also I don’t recall seeing Lincoln.

Steveknj likes this.
  15. AntiPC

AntiPC Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    This commercial didn't make it into the show:

photoshopgrl, gweempose and Regina like this.
  16. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I thought exactly the same thing. Desperately trying to be a "rebel". Sorry lady, you don't have what it takes to be monumentally destructive. Maybe next time go the Jimi Hendrix method and just gently set the guitar on fire?

DevdogAZ likes this.
  17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Phoebe Bridgers reminded me of an emo 16 year old's garage band. She sounded like a singer with little singing talent and the guitar smash at the end was silly. Never heard of her before and probably won't again unless she's one of the musical guests that I've usually never have heard of on a Colbert episode

18. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I thought it was a pretty good episode, and Levy did a better job of hosting than most.

Steveknj likes this.
  19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Eww. I was thinking how bad the prime time episode was.

20. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I had never heard of Dan Levy before this, and he mentioned his show Schitt's Creek. So I checked it out. Wow. So not for me. lol. I've got a sense of humor, I laugh at Tony Danza. But this I didn't get.

Weekend Update has turned into the best part of the show for me.