SNL 2/4/12 Channing Tatum; Bon Iver

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1 of 42
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Newt Gingrich: Moon President
    Channing Tatum monologue
    Getting Freaky with Cee Lo Green!
    Downton Abbey on Spike
    NBC Football Crew Promo
    Secret Word
    Bon Iver performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Guy Fieri
    ..Top Stories
    ..Lana Del Rey
    ..Top Stories
    Rebecca's Bat Matzvah
    Tom Brady at Ruby Tuesday
    Go-Techs Flex
    Bon Iver performs
    Bongo's Clown Room

Once again, the cold open political humor was just so weak, in fact I thought the whole show was pretty weak, I didn't get a good laugh until the Bat Matzvah skit, that and Go-Techs were the only things that got me to laugh.

2. Feb 5, 2012 #2 of 42
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I really only liked the Downton Abbey bit (and it didn't even have any of the actors in it!)

3. Feb 5, 2012 #3 of 42
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Bon Iver sounded terrible. It wasn't their fault, but the usual SNL muddying the sound of the musical acts.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #4 of 42
    kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have no idea who Channing Tatum is, but caught only the CeeLo Green skit. Not too shabby. :p

5. Feb 5, 2012 #5 of 42
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I'm starting to realize that I'm losing touch with pop-culture.

This is the second time in a couple of years when I saw the host's name and assumed it was going to be a female but it wasn't (the other was when the weird-looking werewolf kid from the Twilight movies hosted).

At least that time, by the end of the monologue, I knew who the host was and why he was famous.

After watching this episode, I still have no idea why Channing Tatum was asked to host. With no further information than what was shown in this episode, I would have to guess that someone saw him stripping and invited him to host the show.

6. Feb 5, 2012 #6 of 42
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I didn't recognize the name either and hadda look him up on IMDB, all I had seen him in was The Eagle and G.I. Joe.

7. Feb 5, 2012 #7 of 42
    ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    He's got a movie coming out this week. I never heard of him, either, but the I saw him on (Regis and)Kelly Live and Ellen this week. (While I was at the gym. I swear! The tvs were on and in front of me and I had no where else to look.)

8. Feb 5, 2012 #8 of 42
    Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I thought the opening was really funny. I LOLd at Downton Abbey. The concept of the NFL promo thing was funny, but the execution was lame. Secret Word was lame, as usual. The Lana Del Rey thing was great. I saw her on Letterman the other night and she did a much better job than she did on SNL.

9. Feb 5, 2012 #9 of 42
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Not knowing who the host was notwithstanding, I thought it was pretty bad from beginning to end. That male strip club sketch was especially painful.

10. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I don't know why they keep doing Secret Word again and again. It was funny the first time, but the joke isn't new.

11. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    This.

Weak episode.

I, like most in this thread, had no idea who was the host was.

However, in the monologue he said he started out as a male stripper. Every single character he played in every single sketch was essentially a male stripper, either metaphorically (e. g. the Bat Matzvah sketch and Go-Techs Flex) or literally.

It gave me the impression that they simply had a male stripper come in to host SNL. :confused:

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    He has done a ton of movies and has two coming out now. A love story and a sequel to 21 Jump Street.

The stripper thing was a joke. He was a model.

It does amaze me how many people who comment on SNL don't know current stars, though. Kind of defeats the purpose of the show which is all about current culture.

13. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
  14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Moon President was awesome. :)

15. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Well, apparently it is true, he was once a male stripper.

My whole point was missed however. The fact that he apparently was once a stripper was milked to death as a joke throughout the entire episode!

It became annoying. It was evidence that the writers didn't have any ideas. It was like when Elton John hosted and the overly-milked running joke throughout the episode was that he's gay. We know he's gay, new topic, already! (That being said, the ep. hosted by Elton John last year was a stronger episode than this lame fest.)

16. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    You must have watched a different show than me. Other than the monologue, it wasn't mentioned again or even hinted at.

17. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Apparently I did.

On the show I watched:

• Channing Tatum monologue - Mentioned and joked about extensively.
    • Getting Freaky with Cee Lo Green! - His character was essentially a stripper.
    • Rebecca's Bat Matzvah - His character was essentially a stripper (How was this one, and the next one, "Go-Techs Flex" not completely obvious to you??) :confused:
    • Go-Techs Flex - His character was essentially a stripper.
    • Bongo's Clown Room - His character WAS a stripper in a sketch specifically about nothing but male strippers.

18. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    I don't think any of this would matter if the show/jokes were funnier.

19. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I totally agree.

As I mentioned in a previous post, they totally overused the "gay" jokes in last year's Elton John episode, but the episode had plenty of funny moments.

So, overuse a joke in an episode that otherwise has a fair amount of merit and the overuse of the joke becomes a minor quibble. Overuse a joke in an episode that has virtually no funny moments at all, and the overused joke becomes irritating. It's as though the writers had a total writer's block in coming up with anything funny, so they keep flogging one unfunny joke.

20. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Not by me. I totally agree with you. It was brought up too many times. The only one that was really funny was in the monologue.