SNL - 12/19 - Kristen Wiig/Dua Lipa

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by HarleyRandom, Dec 21, 2020.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

Another episode where I can just skip over the musical guest.

I haven't watched the show long enough to really appreciate Kristen Wiig. I've seen her in a lot of roles I liked and in numerous clips from the "best of" episodes from back when she was on the show. One of her fairly recent roles was as the woman watching the TV funerals of Mike Pence and most of Trump's cabinet (each became President of the United States) ,before she went into isolation and found herself one of only a dozen people left on Earth as a result of "the virus", in "The Last Man on Earth".

I thought her "monologue" and most of her skits were great. She's a really good actress.

That game show would have been entertaining except for the fact they did the "don't say the secret word" gag over and over, and they really could have found something better. But she and Kate were really good. The "Mom bye" gag wouldn't work in 1963 because there was no such place.

The cold open was one of the best they've done AND Alex Moffat was Biden, just as I had suspected when Carrey was him.

I was hoping for actual World War II music in the World War II sketch. Also, while it's always great to see Yang, wouldn't he be more likely to have been in one of those internment camps rather than in the military? Yang doesn't sound like a Japanese name but it would have been hard to tell he wasn't one of them.

The stories on Weekend Update were great, and the look back at four years of Trump. And the cruel pranks Colin and Che played on each other. I actually thought another racist story by Colin was a prank like that but it was several weeks ago.

There's another thread about this problem but I can't tell Heidi Gardner and Melissa Villaseñor apart.

2. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    When Wiig was on James Corden's show several years ago, I loved their Hallelujah duet:

Robin likes this.
  3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought this was maybe the weakest episode of the season. I do wonder if it's because I just don't get Kristen Wiig and don't find her particularly funny. I liked the cold opening and the monologue was pretty good (with My Favorite Things...I still don't get how that's because a Christmas Song, but I digress) and I thought WU was particularly good. I liked that Che and Jost actually, wrote a joke for each other and purposely tried to crack each other up. Which is, I guess, kind of different than every other week when they try and do that without admitting it? Either way it was good.

I watched the musical act, and it was very clear she was lip syncing. Dua Lipa is a very pretty girl, but I don't understand why she uses her body as a memo pad. The songs she did was I assume "club" pop music, but definitely nothing special. Sounded like it could have been done by any number of artists from the 1970s on. A bit catchy though.

4. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Okay, Grandpa.

I thought the best bit from this show was the pre-taped "Christmas Morning" bit (the one with Kristen Wiig as the mother who only gets a robe).

And the second-best was Michael Ché and Colin Jost "trading jokes" on Weekend Update, culminating in the joke about Mrs. Jost.

Robin likes this.
  5. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I get tattoos (though not really a big fan) but hers were so small, and mostly some sort of writing that even on a close up I couldn't read them. And they were all over her. I'm sure they were something personal to her though. I just just don't understand why you'd do something like that, if you don't want others to see.

Anyway, I really liked them trading jokes, and Che's jokes for Jost were "racist" :) The robe bit wasn't bad, but as with a lot of bits, just went on too long.

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Kristen Wiig is okay when watched in moderation and I thought she was okay in this episode.

She was overused when she was on SNL which led to some of her more annoying characters like Gilly. I’m glad they went with the less annoying “surprise” aunt, even though even that isn’t that great a character.

I’m surprised she didn’t mention Wonder Woman 1984 since she’s starring in it and it comes out on Friday. Maybe she’s annoyed it’s going to HBO Max.

Overall the episode was kind of forgettable.

7. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Yeah, I was going to say that.

8. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    It was great to see Kenan again. He was missing last week, I believe. I thought Dr. Carson was the funniest thing he did. Seriously, why didn't Trump make the man Surgeon General?

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I kind of look at Kristen Wiig as the previous casts Kate McKinnon. The thing is Kristen's skits were mostly over the top stuff it showed when you had them side by side. I prefer Kristen's movies over her SNL stuff.

I did like the robe skit however (maybe because it was subdued and not over the top).

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Was the bit with the weird character with the mini hands something she did in the past episodes of SNL? I mostly stopped watching SNL during the 2000s when she was on, so I don't know her recurring acts. That bit was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on SNL.

11. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Yes Gilly leads my list of stuff that I could not stand. 10 Best Kristen Wiig's Recurring SNL Characters, Ranked

12. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    That is weird. She promoted it heavily when she was on with Seth Meyers Thursday night.

13. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    They did have a commercial for it but yea they almost always do the obligatory monologue reference.

14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Unpopular opinion: Kristen Wiig is not that funny. Given the right material, she can be mildly humorous, but she is not the be-all, end-all. I think that she is a fine dramatic actor. If you have not seen "The Skeleton Twins" and/or "Diary of a Teenage Girl," they are both highly recommended. She is amazing in both. Of course, YMMV.

MScottC, Saturn_V and Steveknj like this.
  15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Guess I'm not the only one. I don't have any degree of DISlike for Ms Wiig, but I guess I just don't get her humor that much. I absolutely love humor and must have some each day, but I just don't feel her much at all.

I'm another one who wasn't watching SNL during whatever period it was that she was a cast member. There was one bit she was doing that I just flat didn't get at all but I'll be damned if I can't remember now what it was. The vibe I got was that maybe it was a character of hers from the past. d'oh!

Steveknj likes this.
  16. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    I love Michael's "Neighbor Willie". Kenan makes me crack up every time

"My Grandpa invented a vaccine that he took and made his town safer"
    "Whats that Willie?"
    "Lethal Injection" :D

Regina likes this.
  17. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I didn't watch it and have no idea what she is like live (or "live"), but Dua Lipa is one of my favorite young pop singers in recorded form. Her current album Future Nostalgia is amazingly catchy.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sure, because all Asians look alike, don't you know?

Frankly, it was refreshing to see him not play a Japanese soldier.

And for the record, Yang is a Chinese-American.
    (Born in Australia, immigrated to Canada and then the US by the time he was nine.)

Jost and Che reading each other's jokes had me rolling on the floor laughing.

For a moment, when Dua Lipa came out in the USO skit, I thought it might have been Gal Gadot.
    (I didn't know what Dua Lipa looked like before the episode.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  19. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    The other bit Willie did about going to the park and looking for the vaccine among all the needles there-I was cracking up! He is hilarious!

unclehonkey likes this.