SNL 12/11/10 Paul Rudd; Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace

Advertisements

A Message from the President of the United States
    Paul Rudd Monologue
    Feline Culinary Creations
    A Vogelcheck Family Christmas
    What's That Name
    Stumblin' (An SNL Digital Short)
    A Message from Master Card (Julian Assange)
    Sexually Speaking
    Paul McCartney Performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Paul McCartney
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Stefon
    ..More Top Stories
    Booker T Highschool End of the Year Holiday Jam
    Meryl Streep on Ice
    Paul McCartney Performs
    Broadway Cares Benefit Rehearsal
    Paul McCartney Performs
    Paul McCartney Performs

I'm tired of saying how constantly bad SNL Obama sketches are, so instead I'm just going to go with YAPOS from now on. POS does not mean piece of ****, but I thought it was quite fitting, it just came together organically as I typed it out.

After the horrible beginning I thought it went pretty well, a slightly better than average SNL. Hits for me were the Feline Culinary Creations, What's That Name, and Stumblin'.

mmmmm 4 performances from Paul, interesting. They've been letting the music act do 3 a few times lately, but I don't ever remember 4. Certainly takes some of the pressure off trying to pad out a whole show if they let the musicians perform more songs.

2. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Paul sang four of my favorite songs.

I seem to remember Simon and Garfunkel getting three songs back in 1975.

The Vogelchecks and Sexually Speaking are one joke rehashes. LAZY.
    I like Stefon, but he never seems to do anything new either.

3. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I've always loved Paul McCartney. . . but who's going to tell him?

4. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I enjoyed Paul better on Jimmy Fallon earlier this week. I thought his voice was a little better as well. He and a Jimmy did a great duet.

5. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...

Advertisements

Got totally fooled on the Logitech Google TV ad..well done.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    His voice is not what it once was, but he's a legend, and he's fast approaching 70 years old. I give him a pass. :)

I thought the backup singing from his band sounded quite bad at times, but I was listening at a low volume so I'm going to give it a better listen later.

7. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Remember when Paul was with the Beatles? That was awesome.

8. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I liked the heckling light operator.

I listened to the McCartney songs through my receiver, whoever was on the mixing board was terrible.

9. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    What's the deal with the Obama opening? He isn't even doing the character like he normally does. His speech pattern is way off. He's just reading the lines without doing the character.

What's That Name was decent.

Paul McCartney is funny in skits.

Stefon cracks me up!

Booker T Highschool End of the Year Holiday Jam was the worst skit of the episode.

First episode of the year that I did not fast forward one single skit. That's something!

10. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    This. I know it's live and all but that doesn't mean it has to sound like total crap.

11. Crow159

Crow159 The CoVid Compadre

Jul 28, 2004
    Abingdon, MD
    If you're referring to the Kevin Bacon ad, that was a real ad. It's been on numerous times and different channels.

12. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    They promoted selling McCartney's songs from the show on iTunes, so that is probably why they gave him so many performances. Also probably tapping in to sentimental feelings just after the 30th anniversary of John Lennon's murder.

As much as the songs were awesome, the singing was AWFUL! By everybody! :thumbsdown:

I also agree that Armiston's Obama openings suck. :thumbsdown: Let Pharaoh do Obama and get some fresh writers who understand comedy writing. Ugh! But, I know, Armiston has paid his dues on the show, so he gets precedence over the young blood. Too bad for us.

I was hoping for a Miley Cyrus sketch about the recent 18th birthday bong-hit-and-babbling viral video. That would've been hilarious. The actress who does the Miley spoof is awesome! :up:

13. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio TCF Club

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    It wasn't just my ears, then.

But I'll give him a wide berth...live musical performances aren't always the greatest, particularly when it's been some time since some of those songs were recorded.

And he's Paul Freaking McCartney, so he gets a pass or three. :D (Or four...)

14. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
  15. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I did love Seth Meyers and Paul McCartney doing Prince Charles and Camilla voices. I actually laughed out loud, which I rarely do.

What's That Name was fantastic. I also thoroughly enjoyed Stumblin', for whatever reason.

And at this point, any show without What's Up With That is ahead of the game for me.

16. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I think they were trying to take the focus off the awful singing....

17. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I gave the songs another listen at better volume tonight, and I agree the singing was awful by everybody for the first song (Jet), and the first half of the second (Band On The Run). About halfway through BOTR it was like someone remembered to turn the stage monitors on so they could hear themselves and they sounded much better.

The remaining songs sounded pretty good to me - Macca's voice is not as strong as it used to be, but he usually doesn't sing off-key like he did for the first song and a half.

18. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I had never heard Paul do John's part in A Day in the Life before. Cool.

19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    What were the four songs? I heard Jet, Band on the Run and A Day In the Life/Give Peace A Chance (unless you are counting that as two...IRC it seemed more like a medley than two actual separate songs, as he did not do the whole Give Peace a Chance song).

On one of his live albums, Paul did A Day in the Life. Paul actually wrote the middle bit, but the song is widely credited as a Lennon song.

20. scooterboy

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    They did Get Back during the credits.