SNL - 12/05 - Jason Bateman/Morgan Wallen

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by HarleyRandom, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Dec 7, 2020 #1 of 55
    HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I go back a long way with Jason Bateman, though I never had the desire to watch "Arrested Development". I enjoyed "Silver Spoons", and later they gave him his own show "It's Your Move". All I remember is his saying to an adult, "You're gonna laugh." I think I did, but obviously not a lot of people did. And then came the show called "Valerie" which went through several name changes because of the departure of Valerie Harper. I think all episodes are now called "The Hogan Family". No longer was he the likable bad boy, the Eddie Haskell to Ricky Schroeder's Beaver. Now he was having to be a responsible adult because of the death of his mother.

The monologue was okay, and he was pretty good in his sketches, I guess. I really didn't care for the subject matter of his first sketch and the girls weren't even wearing anything sexy, considering it was a slumber party. They did have an "I'm Spartacus" moment.

The cold open was hilarious and one of the best ones they've done all season. Cecily was as good as she has ever been.

The music guest, whoever he was, apparently was bumped from the show for possibly being exposed to the virus, and brought back when he promised to be a good boy. That was the only sketch I really liked other than the first one.

I liked the music in that one sketch. It's wonderful to see Cecily back and she has a wonderful voice. She and Yang do my kind of music and I saw no reason to care about whoever that other guy was.

Weekend Update was great as usual. Colin's racist joke sounded weird because he's no racist. But i can see that if a white person who could be perceived as racist had told it, that could have been a problem. I liked how the girl thought "Forrest Gump" was a really old movie and all those other jokes that suggested she was too young to appreciate certain things. But she said Che hardly ever works. He has appeared in a few sketches where they needed a Black man, but that's sort of like saying a pastor only works one hour a week. The truth is Che is one of the head writers.

2. Dec 7, 2020 #2 of 55
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I like Jason Bateman, but I thought this was a meh episode. I liked WU, the musical guest I skipped, the rest of the sketches with the exception of the one where they had the daughters and moms and the moms wanting the daughters to come visit despite covid was well done.

skypros and lalouque like this.
  3. Dec 7, 2020 #3 of 55
    spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I didn't think anyone else remembered this show. One of my favorites. Laughed hard every single episode. With the neighbor from Married with Children.

mattack and mlsnyc like this.
  4. Dec 7, 2020 #4 of 55
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I remembered it too.

spartanstew likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2020 #5 of 55
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV

Advertisements

I was mostly happy to see much more of Cecily Strong. I just really like her! I also love her singing voice so any time she sings I'm happy. :)

I don't like CW music, so I did skip through those bits. He did seem gracious, though, and I liked that.

I enjoyed Bateman with the opening monologue. He just always seems like this guy who you automatically like. I always want to ask him (never met him) how his sister is, because I also was a big fan of her.

Steveknj likes this.
  6. Dec 7, 2020 #6 of 55
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I was reminded of something else when one of The Carpenters' backup singers showed how low he could go. They showed the baritone sax player during the closing theme. I like him because he also answers the question, "How LOW can you go?"

7. Dec 7, 2020 #7 of 55
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I don't know what CW music is, but I despise the music they play on CW shows.

8. Dec 7, 2020 #8 of 55
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    It seemed like they made a specific effort to get her into a lot of sketches this week, after she was absent from the entire first batch of shows this season. The writers must have had some pent-up demand for her presence!

sharkster and Steveknj like this.
  9. Dec 7, 2020 #9 of 55
    HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    We all did.

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched this and also wondered what happened to Justine. I remember her on Family Ties, but haven't seen her in years. I hope she's doing well.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, she's doing quite well:

Justine Bateman - Wikipedia

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    sharkster likes this.
  11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Country and Western music

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Cecily Strong, when she was doing WU was the main reason I started watching SNL again. I was sad to see her removed from WU (don't know the story behind that), but to me, she always shines when on screen.

13. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Love or hate Pete Davidson but that Stan parody he was in was pure genius, perhaps the best sketch of the season (without jogging my memory). A great achievement for whoever gets the writing credits for that. The Elton John appearance was a little superfluous but I guess it was an excuse for Bowen to attempt an Elton impersonation.

mtnagel, photoshopgrl and skypros like this.
  14. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I 100% agree with you!!

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    now it's 3 of us. I actually saw him mention it on a talk show recently.. Probably the tonight show.. I think Fallon was going through his history.

The thread starter only remembered him saying something to an adult.. About the only thing I remember is that his best friend was this fat kid, and he was playing soccer, and they did a freeze frame with Bateman VO (at least in my memory similar to his in Arrested Development).. and his character says something like "aww, let him have it".. and it unfreezes and the kid kicks a goal.

Now that may be a totally made up memory.

FYI, I didn't check this part on imdb, but I *think* it was Valerie, then Valerie's Family, then The Hogan Family then The Hogans.. for the same show. This was one of the first "star walks out because they didn't get a big raise" issues.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    FYI, I thought this was a pretty funny SNL (though nowadays I watch the whole thing at 1.7x instead of FFing through sketches).. and was surprised that the Santa sketch near the END was one of the funniest. I thought the physical humor of them in the big balls was pretty funny.

17. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Although bringing back the mullet was ill-advised. :D

[​IMG]

sharkster likes this.
  18. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I keep hearing a lot of praise for Strong's performance as the crazy witness in the cold open-- but wasn't it identical to her 'drunk woman you don't want to talk to at a party' character, just with a blonde wig?

19. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I thought it was, but I’ve missed that character so it was still fun.

Aaron Malloy likes this.
  20. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I thought the crazy witness sketch paled in comparison to the real thing.

panictivo and kaszeta like this.