SNL 11/5/11 Charlie Day; Maroon 5

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1 of 22
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    And Now a Message from the Ghost of Muammar Gaddafi
    Charlie Day monologue
    Kim's Fairytale Divorce
    The Dr. Oz Show
    The Greek Gods Meet
    Getting Freaky with Cee Lo Green
    The Original Kings of Catchphrase Comedy Vol 2
    Maroon 5 performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Gov. Rick Perry
    ..More Top Stories
    ..A Closer Look at Europe
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Judy Grimes
    ..More Top Stories
    Because of One Dolphin
    Maroon 5 performs
    I Don't Have a TV
    Lil Poundcake commercial

I thought it was totally flat until the Greek Gods showed up, that cracked me up. The Kings of Catchphrase started badly and was going long, but for me this was a good thing all the good stuff was in the second half of it.

I Don't Have a TV was awesome, they shoulda moved it up in the order, maybe led with it.

Normally I don't care for the musical acts, and I don't consider myself a huge Maroon 5 fan, but I thought they sounded great.

2. Nov 6, 2011 #2 of 22
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Ya this was a pretty good episode. I didn't FF through anything.

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 22
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Greek Gods was great, as was Rick Perry on WU.

"No TV" was really strong -- should have been way up front.

The rest was FF material.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 22
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I agree with Hank: those were the highlights. The rest was meh, although I liked both Maroon 5 numbers. Maroon 5 was much better than the musical acts usually are.

Although looking at SeanC's lineup I think I fell asleep partway through WU and woke up just before Maroon 5's second number...

5. Nov 6, 2011 #5 of 22
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Well, I posted the above during "No TV" and before "Lil Poundcake commercial" ran... my g/f who was sitting next to me, not really paying attention was like "why are they advertising a girls little doll on SNL/Late night TV???"... and just then they hit the "HPV" part of the ad -- we thought it was very funny... much better than the "Kim's Fairytale Divorce" up front.

If they're strategy is to lead with all the good stuff up front, here's what they should have done:

And Now a Message from the Ghost of Muammar Gaddafi
    Charlie Day monologue (Charlie who?)
    Lil Poundcake commercial
    The Greek Gods Meet
    I Don't Have a TV
    Kim's Fairytale Divorce
    Maroon 5 performs
    Getting Freaky with Cee Lo Green
    The Original Kings of Catchphrase Comedy Vol 2
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Gov. Rick Perry (Great!)
    ..More Top Stories
    ..A Closer Look at Europe (Great!)
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Judy Grimes (AWFUL!! WE HATE KRISTIN WIIIIIG!)
    ..More Top Stories
    Because of One Dolphin
    Maroon 5 performs
    The Dr. Oz Show

6. Nov 6, 2011 #6 of 22
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Wiig.

The Dr Oz show thing was kinda funny because it was so true.

I haven't watched it all yet.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 22
    Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I'm in the same camp that thinks "I Don't Have a TV" was the strongest sketch of the episode. Should have been way more up front.

Other than that, I found the episode on the weak side, actually. Maroon 5 sounded pretty good though.

And, now I make the statement that's going to get me banned for life from SNL threads: ;) :D

For the first time, "Judy Grimes" actually worked! Seriously, something was different, and I found that bit funny for the first time ever.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 22
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I need to get this off the intarnets. I like Charlie and wanted to see how he'd do on SNL. I meant to set my DVR to record it, but completely forgot.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 22
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    YES! So true! :D And Bill Hader - gotta give him props-had the voice DOWN!!:up::up:

10. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    What is the intersection of SNL and Dr. Oz viewers though? So far 2 ppl in this thread thought that was funny. I had no opinion about it cuz I don't really know Dr. Oz. I'm aware he's got a show on TV but that's about it.

I just think their choice of subject there was a little weak since, I'm pretty sure, Dr. Oz is a pretty marginal public figure at this time.

11. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I wish Bill Hader would take the time to actually learn his lines. It is so distracting watching him read directly off the cue-cards.

12. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    He has more lines to read than anyone. I read that he has vastly more screen time than anyone else on the cast.

13. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Part about SNL is that lines are changed right up to the time of the show. For all we know, he may have had brand new lines. So I give a certain amount of cue card reading on SNL a pass.

14. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Agreed. I've read many articles about that. The writers are changing stuff right up to when any given skit airs.

As we discussed recently in another SNL thread, the first time Hader ever did "Stefon" on WU, the writers changed one of the jokes at the last minute, and since Hader had never seen it before, he cracked up. But, since it also cracked the audience up when he cracked up, and they got positive feedback about how the viewers at home found the crack-up funny, they decided to always spring brand new jokes on Hader as Stefon at air time, to deliberately try to get him to crack up.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    And see, I hate when they crack up at their own joke. I'd rather the joke itself be funny, rather than the reaction to the joke.

16. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I think it's funny when Seth chuckles.

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I dunno. The best Debbie Downers were when she couldn't stop laughing.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess I had largely the same feelings as many in this thread.

I thought that the Greek gods skit was VERY funny, until the ending. I don't actually remember the ending, I just remember feeling that it was really funny and then just blah at the very end. (Tangent: I recognized most of the allusions to the mythology, but not all. Is all of this mythology known in "full story" form, and/or are all of them always essentially tellable in a sentence to a paragraph? If anybody knows of a good "regular book" form of the Greek or Roman mythology, that'd be great to hear.)

I thought that the section about Europe/the Euro in Weekend Update was more than just funny, it was very insightful. I downloaded the show from my Tivo to keep the first musical performance (the second had rap in it, ptooey), but might also keep that part of WU.

19. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton.

20. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know about the intersection of SNL and Dr. Oz viewers, but I found it funny b/c I've seen enough of Oz (usually just bits here and there) to know that it was somewhat accurate.

I think that is part of why Stefon is a popular character. Because Seth genuinely finds him so funny, and Seth cracking up is funny to the audience.

I usually delete the show just after watching Seth's news bit, and I rarely get to the end, so I missed the don't have a TV sketch. Usually the final skits are just so awful.