SNL 11/12/11 Emma Stone; Coldplay

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Nov 13, 2011.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace

Advertisements

Your Money Your Vote
    Emma Stone monologue
    Secret Word
    WXPD News New York
    I Wish it Would Rain (An SNL Digital Short)
    Coldplay performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..The Devil
    ..Top Stories
    ..Garth & Kat (Chris Martin cameo)
    Les Jeunes de Paris
    The Bridal Shower
    Coldplay performs
    Listening to Adele, Someone Like You
    We're Gonna Make Technology Hump

At first I thought the cold open would be pretty weak, cuz how can you top the reality of Rick Perry's screwup, but I'll give it to them this time, they made that very funny. Best political cold open in a LONG time, infact I think this entire episode was very strong, I really liked all of it.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    i would say 80% of it was recycled concepts / sketches we have seen before.
    including the adele sketch that was done by Laraine Newman in 1977 to You Got a Friend.
    it's like the writers don't have an original thought in their heads.

3. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    The Devil part really amused me, particularly since I've been following the news on that case so closely. I figured they'd do something on it, but I'm happy they were able to do something that was funny and still fairly sensitive at the same time.

4. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I know they've done Les Jeunes de Paris before (and with Emma Stone before) but that just cracks me up for some reason-and Taran Killam - mama like! :D

Oh, to be that chair he was - ahem - dancing with :p;)

5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

Les Jeunes de Paris always makes me laugh.
    The Bridal Shower was weak, but it did get a laugh out of me when the large floppy package was thrown over the couch.

6. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I absolutely love Les Jeunes. 1st time they ever did it was with Emma. It always makes me laugh and I always find myself rewinding to check out everybody's different dance moves.

Also liked Emma with the doll on the Secret Word game show. She did a good job switching back/forth from the doll's deep voice to the ditzy Southern voice; no hesitation. Would have liked them to do more with that character but, alas, they gave most of the sketch's time to Kristin Wiig. :rolleyes:

7. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    Thought most of this episode was awful, but I did enjoy looking at Emma Stone while it lasted.

8. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    During that WXPD skit with the veteran reporter, that part where he kept hitting Wigg in the bikini areas went on forever. I was wondering if he was supposed to keep doing that until Wigg's character said her next line or if it was the guy playing the reporter who made it drag on. It obviously wasn't supposed to that long because the reporter guy was trying not to laugh.

For some stupid reason, I thought the Technology Humping bit was funny. I was really hoping for a third Coldplay song like what they did last time they were on the show.

9. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I like the episode overall. More good than bad.

First the quibbles:

• Secret word has run its course. Please retire it. (However, Emma Stone's bit on in was a bright spot. Had they featured her as much as Kristin Whig's tired character, it would have been much better.)
    • Listening to Adelle was just painfully stupid and not funny.

Now the good stuff:

• Les Jeunes de Paris!!! :) I just love it! Dunno why. When I saw the title card for it I got very excited.
    • "The Devil" was extra well done this time. Both hilarious and sensitive to the subject.
    • The last 5 times I've seen Garth and Kat I've said it was well overdue for retirement, but the Chris Martin cameo actually made this one worth watching.
    • OMG! "We're Gonna Make Technology Hump" So completely stupid and inane that it cracked me up. It was like something a couple of 13 year old's would have come up with for a cable access show. Very hilariously done, IMHO.

10. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Technology Humping caught me way off guard. That was pretty funny.

Devil - Really good

Bridal Shower was great for me... 'Has this been opened?' Floppy package had me do a spit take.

11. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I hated MOST of this episode. Come up with something new already, or at least if you are gonna recycle bits, recycle funnier bits.

I did like the Devil bit. That was well done.

This!