SNL 10/8/11 Ben Stiller; Foster the People

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1 of 31
    SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Mitt Romney Press Conference
    Ben Stiller monologue
    Lincoln Financial commercial
    Fox and Friends
    The Best of Both Worlds with Hugh Jackman (Hugh Jackman cameo)
    Battle of the V-neck Guys (An SNL Digital Short)
    Are You Ready for a Commercial?
    Foster the People performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Nan Washingtom
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Stefon; Derek Zoolander
    ..More Top Stories
    Shannon at the Halloween Party
    Columbus Day Assblast Underground Rock Festival
    Bruce Springsteen, Just the Stories
    Foster the People Performs with Kenny G
    Tinyballs

Pretty solid episode for me. Loved the Underground Rock Festival, I dunno why I really like that sketch, but I do.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2 of 31
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    LOVED the monologue, with Jewish Willy Wonka (AKA Gene Wilder :D)

The river of Matzoh Ball Soup was too funny-and it was watery-the worst in town-HOORAY! :p;) -because complaining's fun too! :D

Loved Bruce Springsteen, "only the stories..." :rolleyes:

I too enjoy the under-under ground festival...with a very special acoustic performance by Mrs Potato D*ck ;)

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3 of 31
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Loved the Best of both Worlds!

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4 of 31
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I'm Hugh Jackman and I'm a virgin! :D:p

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5 of 31
    Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    First time I had heard of Foster the People. I liked them and downloaded both of the songs they played from ITunes.

6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 31
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Underground Rock Festival is one of my favorites. If you have ever watched the promos for Gathering Of The Juggalos, you'll know where they get this stuff. It's not too far off the mark.

Loved Zoolander. :) Loved the monologue, and the political open.

The rest was just pretty funny, but not something I just loved. And I didn't love the band.

7. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Can someone explain something to me? I've just gotten back into SNL the past few years, and I can't figure out the hugging at the end of the show. I get why the host and the musical guests would hug the cast members, but you've got all the cast members hugging each other. Isn't this a bit like going to a weekly staff meeting and when the meeting ends everyone gives each other a hug? It distracts me every episode.

8. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    It's been going on for as long as I remember, and I've been watching for 20 years or so. Although I wouldn't swear to it for the first five years of that or so, given my college status at the time. ;)

I get it. Putting on a play/musical/sketch show is HARD. You put your heart and soul into it. You're often there up to day and night getting it done.

And then there's the emotional roller coaster that is a live performance.

It's kind of a "we survived another week!" thing. It's hard to explain if you've never been through it. It's emotional in a very weird, exhausting and exhilarating thing.

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Factor in that there is constant tweaking to the show, all the way up to (and in some instances, even INTO) the start of the show. Cutting lines, adding lines, swapping out sketches because something didn't work out, or it wasn't as funny as they thought, or whatever. Just making it through an episode without screwing everything up is a monumental achievement.

10. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Shoot, that's the case with most shows. Trust me. I've screwed up a whole show. :eek:

(My feet and power cords are not friends. :eek:)

11. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I know there is supposed to be another Zoolander movie but they seriously need to put Stefan in it as a costar or make a Stefan movie. I would see that movie.

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    At least we'd finally get to figure out how much of his smiling/laughing is scripted and how much is the actor simply unable to stop himself...

13. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    YES. Stefon is a funny character.

14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Just remembered this...

Nina...Pinta...and Scuzzy Beth!!!!!!!!:D:p

15. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    I meant to add-Tarran Killam is REALLY growing on me. I've always loved him in the funhouse sketches (can't remember the name of the brothers off the top of my head.) But he's really coming into his own this season.

I'm still up in the air about Paul Brittan.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, I'd say *none* of it is scripted. He's even less capable than Jimmy Fallon of not laughing at his own jokes.

17. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I've always assumed that when he's saying the clubs reviews he's just going off the queue cards and deliberately has not seen them already. Probably makes it easier to break out into a spontaneous giggle when the joke is as new to him as it is to the audience that's also laughing at it.

That one made me LOL. The timing was perfect... "Niiinaaaa..................... Piiintaaaa.................... and Scuzzy Beth!"

18. YCantAngieRead

Nov 5, 2003
    Which is funny-Bill Hader's not one to generally break. But it seems he always does with Stefon.

19. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I think it's part of the character of Stefon.

Loved Hader's Clint Eastwood ... with the pants going higher and higher each time we saw him. LOL!

20. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I've read from several sources that that's exactly the case.

Bill Hader does not see Stephan's script until he reads it off the teleprompter. It's deliberate, to make him crack up.

One source I read stated that the first Stephan bit was pre-scripted and pre-rehearsed, then some writer thought of a great improvement to one of the jokes and put the change on the teleprompter moments before Bill Hader did the bit (without giving him any warning that the change had been made), resulting in him cracking up. So, they decided to always have him read it cold like that.

As to the episode:

Great episode! :up:

Great. Great!

Every sketch worked. No clinkers at all. Literally every sketch worked.

I LOVED the Lincoln Financial commercials!