SNL - 10/3 - Season Premier

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by zalusky, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Oct 4, 2020 #1 of 24
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA

Advertisements

So what did people think of the Season kickoff?

Chloe Fineman AKA Drew Barrymore
    Cold Debate Open
    Double Entendre Reporter Names
    Mom Married Keenan Thompson

And yes the childish legal name change bit - Tess Tichol and friends.

I thought the back half was much weaker.

2. Oct 4, 2020 #2 of 24
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I was surprised there was no Nat X

3. Oct 4, 2020 #3 of 24
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I thought it was a weak episode. Usually SNL is at its strongest during an election year, but its kind of hard to write comedy skits about this election, when real life tops anything they can come up with.

photoshopgrl and Steveknj like this.
  4. Oct 4, 2020 #4 of 24
    lambertman

lambertman Still not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I don’t like Jim Carrey as Biden. And the directing was terrible last night, as was Chris Rock’s monologue.

But on the whole, a decent enough start. Nice to see 8H again.

ThePennyDropped likes this.
  5. Oct 4, 2020 #5 of 24
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

Last few years, week 1 has not been as strong as one would expect given all the time they have but this year we have the complication of Covid. They probably were just finding their way around protocols.

Jim Carrey was way to animated for Biden. I prefer Sudeikis. Even Woody Harrelson was better. Carrey felt more like an albino version of the Mask.

ThePennyDropped and SullyND like this.
  6. Oct 4, 2020 #6 of 24
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i can only imagine what the cast and crew are going through in order to maintain new precautions due to covid-19, hats off for a great first show back! :up:

7. Oct 4, 2020 #7 of 24
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The entire episode felt off, especially the cold open. The sketch just seemed to drag from start to finish. Not only was the timing of the dialogue bad, but even the director calling the camera shots screwed up several times. It felt more like a first dress rehearsal than the real deal. I'm assuming this was all related to the added safety protocols that were in place. Hopefully, they will work out the kinks as the season goes on.

8. Oct 4, 2020 #8 of 24
    skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I liked it..... made me laugh and smile.....
    Maybe not as good as previous season openers..... But this is 2020, so I just appreciate that the show is back! (and I thought it was funny)

9. Oct 4, 2020 #9 of 24
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I thought Carrey's facial expressions made it look like he was doing Fire Marshall Bill more than Biden.

I wonder how many people got the "No Sex in the Champagne Room" reference with Rock in the music video?

photoshopgrl likes this.
  10. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Carrey was ok as Biden, but he was definitely doing "Carrey doing Biden." The physical resemblance and voice were pretty spot on.

Steveknj likes this.
  11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I guess I liked Carrey as Biden more than the folks here. I think he got the inflection and look down. I mean Baldwin is really Baldwin doing Trump, so it's the same. As for the rest of the show, meh. And as I expected, I didn't like the musical act. I get that's what the kids like, but is it really necessary to shake your butt to the camera? It just seems like it's sensationalism for the sake of sensationalism. The first song wasn't terrible and the message was good, but the second song had me FF very quickly. I remember when Ed Sullivan got mad when Jim Morrison said "higher" on his show. He must be rolling in his grave.

And yeah, get off my lawn!

12. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I didn't particularly care for the music, but I thought that set she had with the constantly morphing video on the walls and floor was pretty amazing!

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have to agree. Technically it was great. Musically and stage act, terrible.

14. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    same here, they both were great and did a great job as expected, and i'd imagine the contract commitment for the comedian playing biden may have an extension depending on the outcome of the elections next month, so that may have limited the field a bit. :)

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Agreed. Oh and Maya Rudolph does a spot on Kamala.

ThePennyDropped and NorthAlabama like this.
  16. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Is Chloe Fineman a new cast member? That sketch was entirely a vehicle to tell the audience, "THIS IS CHLOE, LOOK AT HER IMPRESSION!" At first I missed that she was supposed to be Drew Barrymore, but when they did the Tom Green thing, and it was like a light bulb: her impression was dead on, but not "obvious" without the reference.

I wonder what Key & Peele thought of this one?

This had to have been the longest, crappiest setup for one of the funniest jokes I've seen in a long time. The reveal of the show name made it all worthwhile, very Monty Python in execution.

As a side note, has Keenan lost some weight recently?

Totally agreed, it's the tight upper lip to his face, if anyone else had done that it wouldn't have been noticeable, but Fire Martial Bill is such an iconic character that once Carrey did that, it was all the audience thought about.

There are a few people I just can't stand in any way, shape or form. One is Adam Sandler, the other is Mr. Jim Carrey, and holy cow I don't know how I'm going to get through all of this. He has the voice down, but he's freaking Jim Carrey, he's on the verge of doing everything that makes me hate him at all times. *shiver*

I'm not impressed by her either, but someone who listens to primarily progressive rock probably wouldn't be her target audience. I've been impressed with that stage since last season, but the flashiness gets old after a bit. I miss some of the classy band stages of the past, like the rooftop set from the 80s.

Steveknj likes this.
  17. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I would say we FFwd the musical acts about 75% of the time. The skit arrangement was a bit different this time. The opening stuff went almost the first 30 minutes and they did not get to weekend update till almost 12:30AM and the usually there is a skit after the 2nd music act.

18. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Maya Rudolph was spot on. "We need a WAP, Woman As President" The WAP reference was to a musical guest's song. Don't Google what that means at work.
    I liked Jason Sudekis as Biden a little better than Jim Carey. But it was still funny.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  19. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I thought he was Alex Moffat.

20. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I fast forward through the music most weeks.

photoshopgrl likes this.