SNL 10/24 Adelle

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jilter, Oct 25, 2020.

1. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002

Advertisements

Wow.
    Finally.
    An episode worthy of bearing the SNL title.
    This show has been bad for years. It is a testament to its legacy that it still gets produced. Nonetheless, this solid episode made me smile and laugh out loud. Love me some Adele.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Steveknj likes this.
  2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I must admit that I've never paid Adele any mind and, in fact, have never heard her sing. Getting to hear her sing that bit in that one sketch I was wowed. What a voice! She did a great job in the skits, for sure, and wowzer did she look beautiful!

3. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    While Adelle was great, as was WU... I found the rest of the show to be a snoozer.

4. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    She has an amazing voice! Her brief snippets of singing in that sketch were the highlight of the entire episode for me. It made me wish she was the musical guest. And I agree that she looked fantastic!

lynncosbm likes this.
  5. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002

Advertisements

Yes in the grand scheme, the episode was mediocre at best. But I have found SNL to be unwatchable after the cold open for years now (with of course, Weekend Update being the exception.)
    At least last night I was able to tolerate keeping it on.
    It was quite cool to see the cast so in awe of their guest star.

6. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I think Maya Rudolph got more screen time in this episode than she did in most of the episodes while she was an actual cast member.

Robin, Steveknj and jilter like this.
  7. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    OMG! They killed Chad! I just hope that's their way of retiring the character.

8. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    *Adele/H.E.R.

I don’t think it’s been bad for years, but this was definitely the best of this season. (And John Mulaney/The Strokes next week should be awesome.)

Still don’t like Jim C. as Biden but this was...better from him.

Robin and lynncosbm like this.
  9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Yea I surfed tuned out the cold open. Adele kind of looked like Kate Winslet to me last night I did not realize she was that tall. She did look great.
    I am thinking Maya Rudolph is a backup to the lack of Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Guess you’ve been under a rock. Very hard to not have heard Adele the last decade or so even if that kind of music isn’t your type.

Anyway. Loved the bachelor skit. It was like a live version of an old k-tel record commercial.

lynncosbm likes this.
  11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, that's fair. It's not that I had not heard of her or anything. I just had not heard her sing because I mostly just listen to old rock and classical music.

At this point, I would like to hear more of her so I will probably make a point of it. :)

NorthAlabama likes this.
  12. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I totally hear you.
    I was made aware of her through my son. So once you hear her sing - kind of inspires you to seek out a bit more.

13. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I thought she was darling last night.
    I was smitten.
    Just as the cast was.

lynncosbm likes this.
  14. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I'd still go with Bill Burr, but it's competitive.

Tony_T likes this.
  15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Yes, Bill Burr was the best this year (and better than any that I saw last year)

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think it was a pretty good episode, with the exception of W.U. which as usual was just Jost and Che trying to crack each other up, and was also a vehicle for Melissa Villasenor to showcase her skills at doing voices. I think she's great at that, but I'd rather they use a different vehicle, it felt contrived. Adele was great (and yowsa, she looks amazing...I can hear all the woke people who thought Adele was their hero since she was "big" complaining because she lost weight. I'm sure she feels better and healthier. I though H.E.R. was great too, but they needed to turn up the mics for her singing.

17. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I feel pretty much the same way about this episode. I don't see what was so great other than the debate and Weekend Update.

As much as I liked the debate and especially Maya, I don't know that I can stand four years of Jim Carrey as Biden.

Adele is actually quite pretty. If she is on right before Halloween. I did notice she had lost weight and I didn't know she was so tall. And she actually did quite well in the monologue and her skits. Except I wish she had done an American accent more than just in that jeans commercial (which I hated).

I can't stand Adele as a singer. I don't know anything about H.E.R. but I suspected she was someone to just fast-forward through. So I did.

How many grandchildren did the elderly woman have? That was Maya, wasn't it? And why was one white and one black? Although Maya is mixed-race, I don't think her character's grandchildren would have looked so distinctly different unless one was supposed to be adopted. Her parents would have been expected to look like that.

18. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Is it so incomprehensible that two siblings might marry people of different racial makeups resulting in offspring that look a bit different from one another?

Even if so, it's just a skit....

Robin and lynncosbm like this.
  19. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I would’ve thought H.E.R. would be the modern singer most likely to get Harley to begrudgingly admit that maybe it’s okay for young people to make music.

series5orpremier likes this.
  20. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I think you've said that a few times, I don't think they are doing that, but they are legit just reacting to the jokes (seems like it's for the first time) and they just have good chemistry together.
    I think WU is always great

Robin, lynncosbm and ThePennyDropped like this.