SNL - 10/10 - Bill Burr

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tony_T, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

Advertisements

I thought this weeks ep was better than last weeks (...but I’m a big fan of Bill Burr). He was also good it the sketches.

2. kcarl75

kcarl75 Active Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH
    Not sure if it’s fake outrage or not but I love that his monologue offended those it should have. Would have been disappointed otherwise.

3. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    The monologue was funny last night and funnier this morning when I watched it again. He's a pro. I love "F is for Family" too.
    The debate sketch was priceless-loved the two flies.
    The mafia sketch was the funniest of the night IMO. "He's a freakin' murderer...Hey! Hey! THEY'RE a freakin' murderer!"

verdugan, Hank and Tony_T like this.
  4. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Jack White and his trio were incredible.

Hank and SoupMan like this.
  5. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA

Advertisements

Much better this week than last week. However, they're still definitely having some issues around timing etc.

The Bill Burr open was really good. I don't know about others but I'm happy to see a bit of edge back on the comedy stage. His delivery was a slightly off but what do you expect after 9 months in quarantine, and not being able to try out material? The call-out of white women was very funny. I've seen a lot of criticism of his set, pretty much what you'd expect, but the one that confused me was someone upset that he was calling BLM marches "parades". But of course he never did that, he said that if they moved Black History Month to July then they could have the parades celebrating black history (which they DO have in February) in the summer.

I also liked the mafia sketch.

The cold open was better this week, mainly because Maya's Kamala got do do more: her "I am speaking" was fantastic. The Biden / fly bit didn't do much for me. I still think Carrey doesn't have a good "hook" for Biden. However, his Jeff Goldblum was excellent!!

As a Bostonian I loved everything about the Sam Adams commercial... just perfection.

WU was pretty great this week. Just about everything landed.

I still can't decide how much of Kate's "meltdown" on WU was add-libbed. But I have to say I know the world has changed by how uncomfortable I got when she was pawing Colin, and when she tried to stick her pipe into his mouth at the end I gasped audibly :rolleyes:. He's all-but-married to ScarJo for goodness' sakes! We can't have ScarJo with the Covid! Haven't we been through enough this year?

Tony_T likes this.
  6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Rudolph and Bennett really killed as Kamala and Pence.

Nothing new there, but worth mention. :)

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    My best guess, for whatever reason they seemed to be running short. So they told Kate "do your bit, then burn 3-5 more minutes".

8. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I agree, but I think it was off more due to playing to a tiny audience.
    Bill Burr was doing outdoor shows where he was trying out this material.
    I was lucky to see him in CT — front row! :):):)

mattack likes this.
  9. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Now that you mention it I think I saw him on one of the late night talk shows and he mentioned doing standup at drive-in movie theaters. It all has to be difficult.

I do agree with you about the audience size. I wonder how much of the "weird" feeling there is during SNL can be attributed to the reduced number of people in the studio.

10. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I for one am glad that SNL ditched Morgan Wallen (who was supposed to be the musical guest) for being careless with the COVID protocols-apparently he was out and about, in bars, maskless, making out with women, breaking the "rules" that SNL had laid down-if you are not going to follow the rules, there must be consequences. SNL is probably having its highest ratings in some time and he blew it!

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    As always, good and bad. Loved the Sam Adams bit. That had me rolling. The monologue, meh. I like Bill Burr, but it felt to me that he was trying to hard to be politically incorrect, and he was getting very few laughs. McKinnon blowing up during WU was funny. The Mafia bit was good as well. Was Cecily Strong even in this week's episode?

12. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I thought they did a good job this week. They still seem to be trying to get the timings down right with restrictions on cast, crew, and audience, but I think overall they're putting out a decent production.

I usually don't listen to the musical guest, but I watched this week and thought Jack White was great. Was the first song something he's already released or is it something he riffed for the show?

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I was surprised that the audience is sitting so close together.
    Maybe its because they are paid as cast members.

mattack likes this.
  14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Both Strong and Aidy Bryant are sort of on assignment. They both had summer projects that got postponed and now conflict with SNL. Strong is in Canada so she cannot travel back and forth and will only appear in green screen scenes (like last week). Bryant’s availability will vary from week to week.

15. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I didn't know about the fly landing on Mike Pence until sometime after it happened, and I have to wonder what they would have done with that sketch without it. Mostly, the debate sketch was great. Maya is great.

I also liked "Weekend Update" but that and the cold open these days is what I like best. I suspected something was wrong when Colin called Kate "Kate". That surely wasn't in the script.

I never heard of Bill Burr and don't see any reason to care who he is. I did like the jokes about the man who had been in prison and didn't know what was going on in the world. I still have fond memories of Jamie Kennedy as a prankster but if kids don't know who he is that's a great joke.

I tried five seconds of Jack White. No reason to listen to any more. You want to talk music? I'm still watching episodes of "This Is Us" on my desktop and Rebecca was singing with her old band. They didn't show nearly enough.

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm not a big fan of Jack White, but he's a master guitar player and I liked his emulating Eddie Van Halen (not that you'd like him either). I don't watch This is Us so I have no idea what you are referring to. I thought it was strange the way Jack's drummer had his drums angled away from him. I wonder why that is? That was my reaction of last week's act. I ended up watching the first song, but the second song was more of the same, so I skipped it. She was mostly horrible.

skypros likes this.
  17. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I really hope they come back soon.

18. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Also, I didn't see Bowen Yang this week :(

19. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    No, I wouldn't. Metal, like rap, is just noise.

I felt bad when he and Valerie broke up. I like her. I wanted them to stay together.

My idea of good guitar players is Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, George Benson, Charo, and Grant Geissman who played on Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good". Talk about a guitar solo!

MScottC likes this.
  20. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    Mandy Moore sang "Straighten Up and Fly Right". And the band started with the one guy playing stand-up bass and the other guy playing the drums with what look like little brooms.